Not Engaged Yet
Options

Ash Scattering at Sea

Has anyone ever been to an ash scattering ceremony at sea? We will be spreading my dad's ashes this January off of the USS Missouri. The woman who is helping me to arrange it has told me that typically people go and throw the ash, along with flowers, followed by a moment of silence. I would like to end it with a song, bringing on board with us a single ukelele player to play a song in honor of my dad (I have not gotten approval for this yet though). I want short and sweet. We already have had a funeral (as some of you heard me rant about) so this is just to fulfill my dad's final wish and to hopefully provide closure to those of us who did not find any with the funeral. I could use some ideas ladies! Or maybe at least some ideas to bounce back and forth with the coordinator.

Also, I will be personally calling some close family members/friends and letting them know the details in case anyone would like to come with us to Honolulu. I just don't want it plastered all over Facebook, like the funeral was. I also don't think that I need to do invites, but my mom said that if we aren't going to start a Facebook group, we have to send out invites. That just doesn't sound right to me...

Re: Ash Scattering at Sea

• Options
    I've never been to a ceremony like that but what you have planned sounds nice. I've never gotten an invitation for a funeral (although to be honest I haven't been to many), it's always just been spread by word of mouth. So I don't think you need invites or a Facebook group, especially if you are hoping to keep it small. 

I hope you get the closure you need.

• Options
    I think word of mouth is best if you don't want a facebook group (to be honest, I've never seen a facebook group for a funeral or service like this), or invitations (which I haven't seen either). I think your plan to just call personally and let those you think would like to go know would probably be the best idea to keep it small and intimate. 

It sounds like a really nice ceremony that you have planned, and I like the idea of a ukelele song at the end. I hope the ceremony helps you get the closure that you need. 
  • Options
  • Options
    We just spread my grandmothers ashes over labor day weekend.  Everyone was contacted by phone, which worked out fine.  I think an invitation would be a little weird personally.  There were only about 8 of us, but we didn't have it on the water, we all had a little baggie and found a place to scatter the ashes (also a little weird but that was my grandfather's request).  I love the idea of having a song played while you are spreading the ashes and throwing the flowers.  I hope it turns out well for you guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards