Florida-South Florida

Question about Service Charge & Gratuity

Hello all!

I had a question about recent estimates I've been receiving from planners/caterers.

They add a 15% service charge to the bill then in the bottom it says "Gratuity is not included".

I though Service Charge is the same as gratuity. What are your thoughts on this? I

Re: Question about Service Charge & Gratuity

• I think it stinks but has become an industry standard.  I think it is a way to get the servers paid more without actually increasing payroll. 
  • It's a standard. I have a grat + service charge on all the quotes I've gotten when it came to venues/caterers 

imageimage

• this service charge thing is really a bummer and puts a damper on how i feel about having an event, in general.  Why can't the overhead/labor costs be included in the dang price you're quoted?  20% service charge just seems like a sneaky way to make more money and not be upfront with what it's for.  It makes me not want to tip at all.
  • @littlemary1234 there are certain things that have a set cost no matter if you have 50 people or 500. That is what the majority of the base costs go to, and that's why you will find a F&B minimum at most venues. The 20% service fee/grat is for the staff. If you have 500 guests you will need more staff members than if you were to have 50 guests.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards