May 2015 Weddings

Dress Shopping

I don't plan to go until June I think and was wondering...

1. How did you choose who would come dress shopping with you. If I include my favorite gals AND my mom and sis, I get 5 people. that seems like a lot of people to me.

2. how did you decide on your dress budget?

Re: Dress Shopping

• 1. I brought no more than 2 people with me each trip. I brought my mom and sister with me one time, one close girlfriend for each of my next two trips, and then finally bought my dress on the 4th trip dress shopping with just my mom there. I think it's much easier to bring fewer people (and some bridal salons will even limit the # of guests you can bring). Unless you're planning on buying your dress on the first trip, you can always go looking a few times and bring different people with you each time. 

2. My FI and I sat down and figured out an amount that we would be comfortable with. Most budgets say 5-10% of your budget should be spent on attire, but for us, that would have meant I could have spent close to $6k on a dress. I was definitely not comfortable with that! We settled on $2500 or less for the dress. I bought my dress this weekend and it ended up being $2100, so I'll be right around that $2500 mark with alterations and accessories. 
  • 1. The first time I went, it was just my mom and I. We went back with a couple bridesmaids and aunts later; I think there were about 8 of us. If you have a super opinionated group, I would try to keep it small. I really don't think 5 is that bad though.

2. My mom bought my dress, so she gave me a budget. I would decide what percentage of your total budget you're willing to spend on a dress. 
  • I want to go in June, and I think for my first trip it might be MOH and 2 of my bridesmaids, and possibly my mom and FMIL. After that it will probably just be with my MOH and another bridesmaid. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I'm planning on going June/July, I will be taking my mom, sister (via FaceTime), sister in law (if up to it she'll be 8-9 months pregnant) and possibly 2 bridesmaids. A max of 5 people. I don't think it's too many plus likely we will look at bridesmaid dresses after.

2.dress budget I decided with nothing over 600. It's one dress for one day I can't justify more than that
  • I'm going May 23-- just booked my appointment!  I went once in January already when my BFF was here from Australia, but had a really bad experience with that consultant, so I waited until my mom would be in town.

My FMIL and FSIL are really invested in going and would be super offended if I did not invite them.  So I think it's going to be my mom, FMIL, my sis, and FSIL.  I'm betting one of the sisters will have work, so I will probably have three people with me.

My grandma is buying my dress as a gift, but she lives OOS, so I'm probably going to FaceTime her or send her a bunch of pics and talk to her about my final decision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Just booked mine for June 7th!

It's a boutique shop and they request that you only bring 4 guests so I'm brining my mom, my sister (MOH), my best friend and my FMIL.

My budget is nothing over 2000. I have the money in cash, put aside already and I can't really justify spending more than that.
  • I'm going two weekends from now, can't wait! My mother, sister, and grandmother are flying in to help me look. My budget is $1000 or less. I just can't spend more than that on a dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I brought like ten people with me. None of them are overly opinionated and I knew they'd love anything I put on so it went great. My mom bought my dress so initially it was $1000 not including alterations but my dress ended up costing a little over that. She was totally ok with it. 
  • I hope this isn't too spammy, but I had a chance to interview Lori Conley, David’s Bridal Senior Merchant, and she answered your questions. If you're interested, here's the interview:
    http://queenlatifah.com/lifestyle/fashion/5-tips-bridal-gown-101/

As for myself, I'm an only child so I brought my mom, my maid of honor, and one of my bridesmaids (I have 2 bridesmaids but one couldn't make it). I would say, at times I even thought 3 people was overwhelming because there are a lot of opinions (4 including mine) and it might be overwhelming (depending on the personalities).

I used The Knot budgeting tool and decided I should keep the whole shebang, including alterations, under $1350. That didn't exactly happen... The dress was only $895, but I ended up renting a french lace bollero ($200) and my mom was insistent I rent a matching veil ($150). Plus tax and alterations, I was $300 over. :/. I justify it because I'm going to resell my dress after the wedding. ... If anyone wants a a Toscana White One dress in a 14, it'll be available after May 23rd! HA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimage
  • Not sure if anyone will still see this but I keep going back to a dress I saw at David's bridal that I liked. My mom noticed the back seam is really weird and I can't think of anyway this could be made better. Can you??

• kvruns said:
    Not sure if anyone will still see this but I keep going back to a dress I saw at David's bridal that I liked. My mom noticed the back seam is really weird and I can't think of anyway this could be made better. Can you??
    Hmmm, yeah, that seam is very strange.  The front of the dress is beautiful, though!

Can you show that picture to other bridal salons and see if they can match the front without the weird seam in the back?  or ask DB if they have something similar?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• JC I don't think DB had any others (well she pulled similar ones but nothing was quite right). Great idea showing it to other salons, I know I like the front so i bet other places have similar options. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • kvruns said:
    Not sure if anyone will still see this but I keep going back to a dress I saw at David's bridal that I liked. My mom noticed the back seam is really weird and I can't think of anyway this could be made better. Can you??

To me, I think that diagonal seam would look totally fine if the dress wasn't so wrinkly! I bet once you had one that was all crisp and ready to wear, it would look fine. The floor sample is just in need of a serious steaming.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards