Second Weddings
Options

On another food related note:

Background: FI and I are getting married in a friend's backyard. We are having the reception offsite at a restaurant, providing transportation from the ceremony site to the reception. Since our wedding has a relatively small guest list, we are having a short cocktail hour in the backyard after the ceremony, so we can take photos with our guests (all close friends and family) and mingle a bit before the transportation arrives to take everyone to dinner. The short cocktail hour will include beer homebrewed by our friends for our wedding and n/a options as well. I plan to serve some apps during the cocktail hour and need some advice:
70 ppl
1 hour
outdoor temp between 60 and 80 (I hope)

These are my thoughts:
Mozzarella balls and cherry tomoatoes wrapped in basil and brushed with balsamic and olive oil on skewers
Deviled eggs
Hot ham and cheese sliders

Feedback?
Any idea how much in advance I could prepare all of this?

Thanks ladies!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: On another food related note:

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds yummy!  I don't think you need very much food, because people will be going straight to dinner.  But it's good to have something if you're providing alcohol:-) 

I think what you have sounds perfect.  As for ammounts...I don't know...maybe 4-5 pieces per person? 
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    morrisonFTWmorrisonFTW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds very tasty!!  I think you could probably prepare the skewers a day ahead if you kept them nice and cold, Deviled eggs the night before, but the sliders would have to be a right before kind of thing.

Also, I'm sure your homebrew friends will have their timing down, but depending on whether they keg or bottle the beer, you're looking at 3-6 weeks time to get it ready to drink. 

(I'm a homebrewer myself) ... what kind of beer do you plan on serving?  Do you know yet?  Do you need recommendations? :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:45eac17e-6999-493f-873e-29d91ab3721e">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds very tasty!!  I think you could probably prepare the skewers a day ahead if you kept them nice and cold, Deviled eggs the night before, but the sliders would have to be a right before kind of thing. Also, I'm sure your homebrew friends will have their timing down, but depending on whether they keg or bottle the beer, you're looking at 3-6 weeks time to get it ready to drink.  (I'm a homebrewer myself) ... what kind of beer do you plan on serving?  Do you know yet?  Do you need recommendations? :D
    Posted by morrisonFTW[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking I could prep most stuff the night before, and maybe even the sliders because (I think, but I am waiting on a friend's recipe) are made on uncooked rolls, then you load them up and put them in the oven in a pan. So, I  might be able to get  them totally ready and then bake them right before serving.

As for the beer: It's ready and it is delicious! I got custom labels made from a seller on Etsy. It's an American Ale, I am pretty sure. But we are calling it "Hitchin' Hooch". It tastes like the perfect mix of a traditional domestic beer and a Boulevard Pale Ale, in my non-expert opinion. :) My friends have impressed me with their brewing skills. They recently made a framboise, which was fantastic and they are brewing a summer wheat as we speak. He is interested in switching from kits to all-grain brewing. (Does that make sense? I'm not up on the lingo.) And he is also tired of bottling so he wants to move the operation into kegs. I am sooooo glad to have them as neighbors! Lol.
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have some fruit/cheese/cracker tray along with that.  The eggs and the skewers can be prepped the day before.

Also, the hot sliders are a good idea, but someone will have to have them ready for the cocktail hour, so they will need access to your friend's kitchen and have the equipment to serve them properly. 

Everything else sounds great! 

We are having an afternoon wedding and a heavy apps reception afterwards. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (sounds like you're all set!)

The beer sounds awesome, and I just recently switched to partial grain.  I don't have a big enough setup to go all grain, but it makes so much different in the flavor!!  Tell him to stop stalling and get the keg setup.  I hate washing bottles more than anything. ever.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:45a705a3-f0dc-4b31-ba88-a4d18542585a">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would have some fruit/cheese/cracker tray along with that.  The eggs and the skewers can be prepped the day before. Also, the hot sliders are a good idea, but someone will have to have them ready for the cocktail hour, so they will need access to your friend's kitchen and have the equipment to serve them properly.  Everything else sounds great!  We are having an afternoon wedding and a heavy apps reception afterwards. 
    Posted by AbbeyS2011[/QUOTE]

I am totally second guessing the sliders, now. I don't want to have someone in the kitchen, slaving over the oven when everyone else is socializing. But I would still like a carb/meat option, so I am open to a few other suggestions from everyone! I also thought I could do fruit on skewers instead of a tray, to minimize mess. Thanks for reminding me about the fruit :)
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would die of pleasure if I had a neighbor who brewed summer wheat and let me drink it. 
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:1b1ca160-6346-47fc-9013-3dbd8bc24597">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE](sounds like you're all set!) The beer sounds awesome, and I just recently switched to partial grain.  I don't have a big enough setup to go all grain, but it makes so much different in the flavor!!  Tell him to stop stalling and get the keg setup.  I hate washing bottles more than anything. ever.

I hate washing bottles, too. I helped with all the batches they've made recently and the bottling process is the most time consuming part. Plus, if you want to have multiple batches, the bottles can get a little pricey. He has been on the search for an old fridge for awhile now so he can set up the keg in it. He's a very cautious buyer, so it could take awhile. Haha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:8e1e6755-78a9-4b42-aa69-051b93a0eb89">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would die of pleasure if I had a neighbor who brewed summer wheat and let me drink it. 
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Yep. And you <em>wouldn't</em> die of a hangover, because, for some odd reason, home brews never cause a hangover for me. It's glorious.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Avion, move to Denver - I could use a brewing assisstant!  FI is not a beer so it's all my project!

I'm serving three homebrews at my backyard reception!

What about some silder sized buns with cold cuts, cheese and condiments?  If everyone is going to dinner right after, you could probably get away with the DIY mini sandwiches and the mozz/tom skewers.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:97e3b381-917e-48cf-8c0e-610c20efed98">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: On another food related note: : Yep. And you wouldn't die of a hangover, because, for some odd reason, home brews never cause a hangover for me. It's glorious.
    Posted by mattsdorothy[/QUOTE]

Part of it is the unfiltered yeast, and part of it is the clean brewing process with no preservatives whatsoever.  I love my homebrew like whoa.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:245e1813-4cbd-4e8b-b981-d9ec15ee04c7">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: On another food related note: : Part of it is the unfiltered yeast, and part of it is the clean brewing process with no preservatives whatsoever.  I love my homebrew like whoa.

You don't happen to have a recipe for a Ska Pinstripe imposter, do you? It's so expensive to buy here and hardly anywhere carries it.

As for the sandwiches - good suggestion. I am going to just take the "hotness" out of the hot ham and cheese and call it good.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ska is right down the street!  Well, it's about a three hour drive, but it's in the state!  I don't have a recipe, but I'll keep an eye out for it.. a lot of the home brew stores around here have pretty good recipe lists.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want a hot app, think about something in a crock pot? So maybe meatballs on skewers in a sauce, or kielbasa (yummy with beer) in a sweet BBQ sauce on skewers?

Or instead of cold cut sliders, just get a big party sub and have it sliced into app size pieces. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:77a8e873-038c-48e2-bf27-c3611be57014">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want a hot app, think about something in a crock pot? So maybe meatballs on skewers in a sauce, or kielbasa (yummy with beer) in a sweet BBQ sauce on skewers? Or instead of cold cut sliders, just get a big party sub and have it sliced into app size pieces. 
    Posted by right1thistime[/QUOTE]

Crockpot sounds like a great solution. I loooove those meatballs!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love little slider type sandwiches, but agree with the timing you have, it would be hard.

The crockpot idea is a good.........but for that many people, probably doesn't work well. You could use a 13x9 glass cake pan, or something more decorative (if you wanted), and put a ton of the meatballs or even mix with the mini-sausages in some sort of sauce that goes with both. Put out toothpicks and you have your hot dish.

It sounds like a great idea to transition from the ceremony to the reception.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:28c9a54f-6b63-4450-8e72-578fd99a75cf">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love little slider type sandwiches, but agree with the timing you have, it would be hard. The crockpot idea is a good.........but for that many people, probably doesn't work well. You could use a 13x9 glass cake pan, or something more decorative (if you wanted), and put a ton of the meatballs or even mix with the mini-sausages in some sort of sauce that goes with both. Put out toothpicks and you have your hot dish. It sounds like a great idea to transition from the ceremony to the reception.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Yes... I started putting together a list of ingredients and realized there aren't enough crockpots or outlets to make that work. I think the lid would be a messy issue and it is a better plan to have the food where, as you suggest, people can stick a toothpick in it and put it on their plate and not have to fuss with any utensils.

I am glad you like the transition! Since we opted to have our reception at a restaurant, and we still wanted to be able to add a little bit of a personal touch to the food and drink , we thought this was the best route. I hope it works out well. 10 days away!
  • Options
    mightyoakesmightyoakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOVELY! How exciting and what wonderful friends you have!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TEN DAYS!!  HOW EXCITING!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:b53f027c-9547-42fc-aba5-269afbeef316">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOVELY! How exciting and what wonderful friends you have!
    Posted by mightyoakes[/QUOTE]

I know! It's so close and I am kind of twiddling my thumbs. I don't have a whole lot left to do that can be done ten days out, so I'm going to clean out all our closets. If I don't do something productive, I'll lose it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_another-food-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:40d10678-7e6d-4674-bcd0-62182c524a11Post:91c1b080-253c-4c78-aa71-99f15a0b3b36">Re: On another food related note:</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ska is right down the street!  Well, it's about a three hour drive, but it's in the state!  I don't have a recipe, but I'll keep an eye out for it.. a lot of the home brew stores around here have pretty good recipe lists.

<div>Sounds like we have a lot of CO homebrewers in this group! Awesome. My FI and are homebrewers as well. </div><div>
    </div><div>Op- 2 pieces of each app should be sufficient, with all those choices! It sounds great!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards