Chit Chat

Open House: What should we serve?

AprilH81AprilH81 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2014 in Chit Chat
DH and I are wrapping up a kitchen remodel after buying a house in late May. The open house will be from 1:00-4:00 on a Saturday afternoon and I want to provide snacks and drinks, but I want it to be stuff that can sit out without safety issues (or in a crock pot), CHEAP, and decent variety. Oh, and easy to eat so I don't have to buy a lot of plastic forks/spoons. If everyone comes that is invited we could have around 50 people come through the house.

I expect people to come and go, some will stay and hang out for awhile, and some will probably hang around to watch the football game that starts at 3:30 (hopefully they will all chip in for pizza if they want real food).

Drinks:
Lemonade
Water
Wine
Beer

Snacks:
Chips & Dip
Cookies or Cake
Veggie Tray
Added: Crock Pot Meatballs
Added: Cheese & Cracker Display
Added: Fruit
Tentative: Tortilla Roll-Ups

This is where I lose perspective. I have a lot of great recipes, but they either require a lot of work on the day of or "fresh out of the oven" serving which won't work since DH and I will be greeting guests and giving tours of the house. My parents and in-laws will be there so worst case scenario I can ask them to help keep an eye on things.

Ideas, tips and volunteers to help clean the house before and after will be appreciated. ;)
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Open House: What should we serve?

• Meatballs! I always make cocktail size meatballs for parties like this. You can just keep them in the crockpot, pour some sauce over them, and put some toothpicks on the side. Done and done!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I tend to make spinach artichoke dip as my go to. I also love dipping veggies in it (it makes me feel healthy, lol), and it's good even if left out to cool (plus it microwaves ok). You can make the dip ahead then just pop in the oven a bit before.

What about some sort of wrap? You could do meat and cheese, or grilled veggie and balsamic. You could make a day or two ahead and store in the fridge.

A pasta salad might be easy too. You could even do something "fancy" like at Thai chicken noodle instead of the classic Italian.
  • A crowd pleaser for my circle is a block of cream cheese with raspberry chipotle sauce poured over it. Serve it with Wheat Thins.
  • A crowd pleaser for my circle is a block of cream cheese with raspberry chipotle sauce poured over it. Serve it with Wheat Thins.

Drool.
  • Meatballs! I always make cocktail size meatballs for parties like this. You can just keep them in the crockpot, pour some sauce over them, and put some toothpicks on the side. Done and done!
    I can't believe I didn't think of this.  I have a great (and easy) recipe for meatballs...
  • I would do a fruit tray also. Possibly add one of those sweet dips if you want. You could also have pita chips and hummus (hummus would go with your veggies too). Mixed nuts are pretty easy to set out. Antipasto platters are pretty easy to assemble, too. 

Other ideas that require more time/preparation (but you have an awesome kitchen now so...):
    - dates stuffed with asiago cheese and wrapped in bacon
    - caprese skewer
    - deviled eggs
    - stuffed mushrooms
    - ants on a log (throw back app!)
    - guacamole (with the chips you're already serving)
    - stuffed grape leaves
    - crostini with smoked salmon and cream cheese spread
    *********************************************************************************

• I tend to make spinach artichoke dip as my go to. I also love dipping veggies in it (it makes me feel healthy, lol), and it's good even if left out to cool (plus it microwaves ok). You can make the dip ahead then just pop in the oven a bit before. What about some sort of wrap? You could do meat and cheese, or grilled veggie and balsamic. You could make a day or two ahead and store in the fridge. A pasta salad might be easy too. You could even do something "fancy" like at Thai chicken noodle instead of the classic Italian.
    I make spinach artichoke dip in the oven safe stoneware inside part of my Crockpot, then transfer it to the Crockpot and leave it plugged in on low throughout the party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Another one I make on a regular basis is this: get puff pastry sheets. Get a round block of brie and scrape off the rind. Put the brie on top of the pastry sheet. Pour jelly (my favorite is peach) over the brie, and wrap it in the pastry sheet. Bake and you're set.
  • Another one I make on a regular basis is this: get puff pastry sheets. Get a round block of brie and scrape off the rind. Put the brie on top of the pastry sheet. Pour jelly (my favorite is peach) over the brie, and wrap it in the pastry sheet. Bake and you're set.
    Does this need to be served fresh out of the oven to taste it's best?
  • I'm a big fan of queso dip. Throw a block of velveeta in a crockpot with a can of Rotel diced tomatoes & green chiles and voila!
  • We entertain quite a bit, so I'm always making up little bites and such. Crostini with a variety of things to put on it (hummus, pico de gallo, cheeses, bruschetta, etc) always go over well and require minimal attention. We also do a lot of stuff with wonton wrappers. We bake them in a muffin tin until they are crispy and then fill them with all kinds of things. This can be done in advance and you can do everything from sweet to savory.

If we're having a lot of people over and I don't have as much time to prep, I grab a big box of frozen appetizers from Costco or something. Pigs in blankets, mini quiches, and filled puffed pastries but all I have to do is pop them in the oven? Hell yea.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• AprilH81 said:

Another one I make on a regular basis is this: get puff pastry sheets. Get a round block of brie and scrape off the rind. Put the brie on top of the pastry sheet. Pour jelly (my favorite is peach) over the brie, and wrap it in the pastry sheet. Bake and you're set.

Does this need to be served fresh out of the oven to taste it's best?

Best, yes. But when I served this last weekend at our game night, we got wrapped up in Taboo and forgot about it. We ate it whIle it was tepid, and it was still gone in 10 minutes. You could easily pull it out of the oven 5 minutes before people arrive.
  • I was thinking of some other options for drinks, but I wanted to ask and see what the weather is like where you are right now? The weekend for me is supposed to be cool, so a spiced apple cider would be nice. Crockpot that shit, too!

Just get store bought apple cider, throw it in the crockpot on low with some sliced oranges, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.

Of course, if it is warm out, don't do this or people will be sweaty and gross. In that case I love doing cucumber water. So refreshing!

• I was thinking of some other options for drinks, but I wanted to ask and see what the weather is like where you are right now? The weekend for me is supposed to be cool, so a spiced apple cider would be nice. Crockpot that shit, too!

Just get store bought apple cider, throw it in the crockpot on low with some sliced oranges, cinnamon sticks, and cloves.

Of course, if it is warm out, don't do this or people will be sweaty and gross. In that case I love doing cucumber water. So refreshing!

I live in Ohio so the day could be anywhere from 70 to 40...  I'm hoping for a warmer day so people can enjoy our back deck and yard, but I will settle for it not being miserable.

I hadn't thought of a hot drink but I think the logistics might be a bit tricky for a lot of people.  I will see what I can come up with.
  • chibiyui said:
    I was thinking of adding in something like this.  I know they can be done ahead of time and make a nice presentation.  
  • I've done this crock pot spinach dip and it was so good!

http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2013/01/crock-pot-spinach-artichoke-dip-recipe/

Could do cold veggie pizza (like the kind you make with cream cheese on the sheet of crescent rolls)

Or fruit kabobs would be good and not require forks!
  • Cheese and slice of banana bread is always a winner. And cookies of course!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You need fruit, grapes at a minimum.
  • We entertain quite a bit, so I'm always making up little bites and such. Crostini with a variety of things to put on it (hummus, pico de gallo, cheeses, bruschetta, etc) always go over well and require minimal attention. We also do a lot of stuff with wonton wrappers. We bake them in a muffin tin until they are crispy and then fill them with all kinds of things. This can be done in advance and you can do everything from sweet to savory.

If we're having a lot of people over and I don't have as much time to prep, I grab a big box of frozen appetizers from Costco or something. Pigs in blankets, mini quiches, and filled puffed pastries but all I have to do is pop them in the oven? Hell yea.
    FI informed me 3 days before the date, that he'd invited some of our friends over for the superbowl.

Costco CAME THROUGH.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• How about chili in a crock pot? Or chicken tortilla soup?

Guacamole (this probably falls under the "dip" category but guac is a always a must at my parties)

I want to second whoever suggested the caprese skewers. They are pretty quick to assemble and ALWAYS get eaten up.

Those frozen cream puffs.

Cake

Slices of ham and rolls for sandwiches.

• Our go to dip: Knorr Spinach Dip. This is definitely best when its been allowed to sit in an airtight container overnight in the fridge. We eat it with wheat thins or a spoon. :) Terrible but true. I also like it with torn up bread, but its a little hard to eat that way. Disclaimer - 1. It's addicting 2. Make sure you don't follow the "soup" directions. We had a friend do this and wonder why it came out so watery. ;)

Spinach Dip Recipe:

Knorr Vegetable Soup Dry Mix

16 oz Sourcream

1cp Mayonnaise

1 can water chestnuts (drained and chopped)

3 (or more) chopped green onions

1 frozen box of chopped spinach (we put it into a colander and run hot water over it till its not frozen, then squeeze all of the water out)

1 block of colby/jack cheese shredded (we like this better than pre-shredded)

Mix it all together and put into a airtight container overnight

2 boxes of wheat thins

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How about chili in a crock pot? Or chicken tortilla soup?

Guacamole (this probably falls under the "dip" category but guac is a always a must at my parties)

I want to second whoever suggested the caprese skewers. They are pretty quick to assemble and ALWAYS get eaten up.

Those frozen cream puffs.

Cake

Slices of ham and rolls for sandwiches.

DH makes good chili, but I'm trying to stay away from "meal" type food, especially messy food that requires utensils to eat.
  • I'd do cupcakes instead of cake to cut down on plates/forks.

My go to when I entertain:

Cheese and crackers with garlic sausage
    Chips and Salsa
    Pickles
    Sausage Rolls (because I can't live without sausage rolls)

• I'd do cupcakes instead of cake to cut down on plates/forks.

My go to when I entertain:

Cheese and crackers with garlic sausage
    Chips and Salsa
    Pickles
    Sausage Rolls (because I can't live without sausage rolls)

If I weren't doing meatballs I would do sausage rolls.  :)
  • If you have a second crock pot, my mom often does little perogies with sword stabbers to eliminate the forks. I hope you know what a sword stabber is because I can't think of anything else to call it haha
  • What you have sounds great. 
    And yep, the issue I run into with open house is the staggered arrival/eating times. 

I usually opt for a main dish of soup or stew, a really good minestrone or bouillabaisse or chili sort of thing that can be kept warm for a long period of time without drying out, and breads and cheeses, because good breads can be heated quickly with min. time invested from me, and smell great. Yes, utensils, but overall convenience makes up for it.
    Multiple smaller plates, rather than one big one, for cheeses and cold apps, so that when one plate looks picked over and sad, it can be whisked away and replaced with a new one from the fridge. 

You can't beat sliders. My favorite are shredded chicken in barbecue sauce ( again with the sauce that keeps things from drying out) and sharp cheddar or bleu. Or meatball sliders with fresh Mozzerella and basil.

Damn. I'm hungry.
  • What you have sounds great. 
    And yep, the issue I run into with open house is the staggered arrival/eating times. 

I usually opt for a main dish of soup or stew, a really good minestrone or bouillabaisse or chili sort of thing that can be kept warm for a long period of time without drying out, and breads and cheeses, because good breads can be heated quickly with min. time invested from me, and smell great. Yes, utensils, but overall convenience makes up for it.
    Multiple smaller plates, rather than one big one, for cheeses and cold apps, so that when one plate looks picked over and sad, it can be whisked away and replaced with a new one from the fridge. 

You can't beat sliders. My favorite are shredded chicken in barbecue sauce ( again with the sauce that keeps things from drying out) and sharp cheddar or bleu. Or meatball sliders with fresh Mozzerella and basil.

Damn. I'm hungry.
    Actually, going with fewer (but more hearty) dishes might be a lot easier and cheaper in the long run.  I will have to think about this more.  

We have two crock pots and I could borrow more from family if I needed to...  

The problem is that I want to give all the food to all the people and we will quickly run out of money and counter space.  lol
  • Another great cheap/easy crowd please is buffalo chicken dip. I've made it both in the oven and in a crockpot. Since you've got the two crockpots, that would be an option for it to stay warm and gooey. Plus no utensils- just chips!
    imageimage">
  • Another great cheap/easy crowd please is buffalo chicken dip. I've made it both in the oven and in a crockpot. Since you've got the two crockpots, that would be an option for it to stay warm and gooey. Plus no utensils- just chips!
    A friend gave me the recipe for her dip... It is good and would be great in the crock pot... Now I have to hope it isn't too warm for hot dips and chili. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards