Flowers
Options

I have champagne taste on a basement beer budget

jakeiafjakeiaf member
Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited July 2014 in Flowers
I have fallen in love with these really beautiful weddings and of course when I see it I fall in love. I want these centerpieces really badly but I was quoted a really high price and I just know that i can't afford it. Are there any really crafty brides here who could give me a suggestion on how to get my dream centerpieces on my beer budget? :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I have champagne taste on a basement beer budget

• Options
    You can order supplies from places like save-on-crafts, branchesandblooms, etc and do them yourself, but it will be time-consuming, complicated, and possibly still expensive for elaborate ones like that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Even with faux flowers, you're probably not going to get this look on a budget. That's a huge number of flowers for each centerpiece. You could consider doing similar feel centerpieces with just candles or other non-floral pieces; but otherwise, you probably aren't going to get these for a low cost.
  • Options
    My only suggestion is to use hydrangeas which are very full and take up a lot of space. You might be able to get a fuller-looking centerpiece for less.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I don't think you can pull those off on a beer budget, sorry. Just trying to be realistic. But I think if you scale those down in size so that they are short enought for people to look over, that you could do those for a more affordable price. Then you could make your own kissing balls with silk flowers and just put them on a small cylinder vase with some waterproof LED lights. You can fill the vase either with water & silk orchids or fill it with glass stones & water for a different effect. And if you still want the bling factor, buy some single strand of gems and glue them on in a diamond pattern. Or just run a few rows along the top of the vase.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I don't know how "basement beer" your budget really is, but may I suggest a couple of options:

- have a couple of these arrangements on the parents' tables and the rest of the tables have small centerpieces
    - have a couple of these arrangements on auxiliary tables (cake, guest book, cocktail hour app table, etc.) and then have small centerpieces at the tables
    - compromise on the types of flowers and see if the quote changes. We did local, in-season flowers and saved several thousand dollars.

ETA: To be perfectly honest, I couldn't tell you what the centerpieces were like at the wedding I went to on Saturday or any other wedding I've ever been to for that matter. Personally, I would save your money and stop google imaging pictures like this. It may drive you crazy.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Its really over the top. BUT you can get the tall look with tall cylinder vases and sink babies breath in water. On top, do just one or two types of big filler flowers like hydrangea and bunch babies breath. Thats about as cheap as I can imagine...
  • Options
    vulpiepopvulpiepop member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited September 2014
    This may not be exactly what you're looking for but it seems kind of similar and can be done cheap: http://harlowandthistle.blogspot.com/2012/08/wedding-centerpieces.html?m=1

Other than that, I agree with PPs about using flowers like hydrangeas. You can probably find some tall vases in a thrift store or Dollar Tree apparently has tall cylinder vases.

Edited for misspelling

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Look into purchasing bulk flowers and doing some of he work yourself.  There are a lot of websites out there that sell flowers in bulk but I have found that sams club has the best prices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Those are very over the top.  I have mixed feeling about centerpieces that are that tall.

There are many ways you can stay under budget with a similar look: purchase fake flowers from craft stores, buy inexpensive candles, and check out stores like TJ Maxx and Home Goods for deals on décor. 

• Options
    I would say find a floral designer (not a retail florist) give them your favorite pictures and your budget and ask them what they can create to give you that look for the budget. It won't look identical but a floral designer should be able to create something inspired by those and since they don't have a retail shop there is less overhead therefore more affordable prices. I did this and the quotes I got from the designer (who is HIGHLY recommended and I thought would be really expensive) ended up being half the cost of the retail people and I'm getting a completely unique centerpiece in my budget rather than a copycat that the retail places offered.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards