Offbeat Weddings

What is the definition of an "offbeat wedding"?

Is an offbeat wedding one where the bride wears a dress that is not white and one where the wedding itself has a quirky theme?  Or is something else considered offbeat?

Re: What is the definition of an "offbeat wedding"?

• I define an offbeat wedding by being a wedding that is not "the norm".  Wearing a colored wedding dress or having a theme wedding would both fit that.  I think being an offbeat bride means that you don't want your entire wedding to be traditional, you want to add a bit of your own uniqueness to it.
  • So, is any wedding that doesn't involve dancing "offbeat"?  Is a wedding followed by a dancing reception "the norm"?  If my attendants don't wear matching attire, am I offbeat?  What if my entire wedding is completely traditional and normal, but I wear a pink dress, am I still offbeat?  If my favors are Tardis keychains and my bridesmaids wear blue, is that enough of a Dr. Who theme to make me offbeat?  I mean, every wedding is unique due to the people getting married and the people attending.  So what part of unique makes 'offbeat'?
  • adk19 said:
    So, is any wedding that doesn't involve dancing "offbeat"?  Is a wedding followed by a dancing reception "the norm"?  If my attendants don't wear matching attire, am I offbeat?  What if my entire wedding is completely traditional and normal, but I wear a pink dress, am I still offbeat?  If my favors are Tardis keychains and my bridesmaids wear blue, is that enough of a Dr. Who theme to make me offbeat?  I mean, every wedding is unique due to the people getting married and the people attending.  So what part of unique makes 'offbeat'?
    To me it seems like borderline tacky or rude, but my experience of offbeat brides are only from this board. I also think every wedding is unique and it's pretty hard to be very offbeat without being tacky or rude. All the good ideas have already been done before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would say an offbeat wedding is when details are picked because you and your FI like them, not because it is expected or "traditional". Anything that is not "traditional" or trendy, pretty much.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• adk19 said:
    So, is any wedding that doesn't involve dancing "offbeat"?  Is a wedding followed by a dancing reception "the norm"?  If my attendants don't wear matching attire, am I offbeat?  What if my entire wedding is completely traditional and normal, but I wear a pink dress, am I still offbeat?  If my favors are Tardis keychains and my bridesmaids wear blue, is that enough of a Dr. Who theme to make me offbeat?  I mean, every wedding is unique due to the people getting married and the people attending.  So what part of unique makes 'offbeat'?
    If you're wedding is Dr Who themed I'm crashing it.  I already told my bridesmaids I'll be bringing props and we're taking some Dr Who pics 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DaniBites said:
    adk19 said:
    If you're wedding is Dr Who themed I'm crashing it.  I already told my bridesmaids I'll be bringing props and we're taking some Dr Who pics 
    No, my wedding is "marriage" themed.  I'm just trying to figure out what the definition of "Offbeat Wedding" is.  There's a whole forum dedicated to it, and besides dresses in colors other than white, I can't figure out what distinguishes an Offbeat wedding from a Regular wedding.
  • Stole this from Offbeat Bride.. I was wondering also,

The dictionary defines offbeat as "not conforming to an ordinary type or pattern." To me, offbeat isn't about rebelling or showing the world how weird you are. Rather, it's about questioning all the wedding visions you've been fed and striving to create an event that's an authentic reflection of you and your partner.

• I say just have the wedding your want, that speaks to the people that you are. Who cares if people think it's odd, or dumb, or goes against what is "normal". Normal is different for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards