Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite wording check

txbandwifetxbandwife member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited September 2014 in Wedding Invitations & Paper
Here's ours; looks similar to others I've seen but always good to have another set of eyes-on. Though I wasn't sure about the weather permitting line, I also didn't want people to think this was going to be inside when it's going to be on the beach.

TIA for your review!

The pleasure of your company is requested at
the marriage of

Bride And Groom
Saturday, the 20th Day of December
Two Thousand and Fourteen
At 4:30 in the afternoon

Name of the Beach
Address
City, state

Weather permitting, ceremony will take place on the beach.
Reception to follow
At Restaurant Name

One etiquette thing I'm not sure how to handle... since it's going to be on the beach, people are going to get sandy. Also, it's a destination wedding, so everyone is coming from out of town. I've reserved a room for my girlfriend who will watch my son while we honeymoon at another hotel and I'll offer it for those who want to wash the sand off their feet before going to dinner. I'm thinking of including an insert that has a map to the beach ceremony and the reception location, our wedding website link, and a note that we're reserved a hotel room where folks can freshen up afterward (wash the sand off their feet) before the reception. Any etiquette concerns?

edit: trying to fix the line breaks. For some reason it posts as one big paragraph!

Re: Invite wording check

• I'd use the following wording:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride Lastname
    and
    Groom Lastname
    on Day, Date
    Venue Name
    Venue Street Address
    City, State/Country

Reception
    Immediately following the ceremony
    Venue Name
    Venue Street Address
    City, State/Country

Use an insert and not the invitation itself to mention that it will be a beach wedding.
  • lkristenjlkristenj member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014

Dates are written "Two thousand fourteen" not "Two thousand and fourteen".

http://www.mospensstudio.com/blog/2010/08/16/how-to-write-out-the-year-on-wedding-invitations

I also take issue with the "at the marriage of" bit. A marriage can last for years, and hopefully does. Your guests are invited to a wedding. I personally like "(Together with their families) Bride Name Groom Name request the pleasure of your company as they are united in marriage".

ETF words.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    The pleasure of your company is requested at
    the marriage of

Bride
    and
    Groom
    Saturday, the twentieth of December
    two thousand and fourteen
    at half after four o'clock
    Name of the Beach
    Address
    City, State

(use separate reception card)

Reception
    Immediately following ceremony
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

(You should use an insert card to describe alternative location for ceremony.)

All those capital letters must go!  You only capitalize proper nouns, as if the invitation were one long sentence.  I have changed the date and time formats to be traditionally correct.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    lkristenj said:

Dates are written "Two thousand fourteen" not "Two thousand and fourteen".

http://www.mospensstudio.com/blog/2010/08/16/how-to-write-out-the-year-on-wedding-invitations

I also take issue with the "at the marriage of" bit. A marriage can last for years, and hopefully does. Your guests are invited to a wedding. I personally like "(Together with their families) Bride Name Groom Name request the pleasure of your company as they are united in marriage".

ETF words.

This may make sense to YOU, but traditional etiquette disagrees.  There is nothing wrong with being asked to attend a marriage.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • lol, it was originally wedding... and I changed it to marriage after reading other invites. Caps are due to the style of the card (old fashioned typeset with different fonts) It looks really neath. thanks all for the suggestions!
  • Invites ordered!  captured many of your suggestions above (half after, two thousand fourteen, etc) and I really thank you all for taking the time out to review mine and others' invites.

One more etiquette question, if you don't mind:  What about putting on the insert that they can freshen up in the ladies suite? Should I just leave that off and spread it word of mouth?  I'd hate for someone to not know and be uncomfortable with little sand bits in their shoes (smile).

thanks again everyone!
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with the insert about the hotel room. It may be more practical to spread it by word of mouth, though that weekend because you'll know the actual room # then.

We also made a Google map that we customized for our wedding.  We marked the church, reception venue, hotels, and other places for people to eat and shop.  We heard this was helpful, especially since guests could pull it up on their phones.
  • I wouldn't want to go to some random hotel room along with all the other guests to wash my feet off. That tub is going to get sandy real fast. I think you should have a shoe valet to check people shoes as they arrive if they want to take them off and have water and wet wipes available for rinsing right at the beach.
  • sarahbear31 and STARMOON44

Great ideas!  Thank you both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards