Nevada-Las Vegas

Tipping - Now I'm Scared!

Ok so I was on another community board for October brides, and they were talking about tipping everyone.

The only person I feel I need to tip is my hair stylist, but how much should that be?? I haven't even factored that part in... (stupid mistake). I'm not tipping anyone at the chapel or suite, because I feel I paid a pretty penny already?

Please let me know if I'm wrong!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tipping - Now I'm Scared!

• I'm tipping people who I need to be lax about the rules. 
  • Good thinking!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ok, your site doesn't really cover hair... I'm paying $100, should it be 15-20%?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ok, your site doesn't really cover hair... I'm paying $100, should it be 15-20%?
    I'd probably tip them $20 unless they did something above and beyond (don't you normally tip your hairdresser?)
    Most HMU folks tend to be sole proprietors, i.e. business owners doing their own thing.  Therefore you don't technically have to tip them, since they're hopefully smart enough to set their rates at a point that allows them to make what they feel is fair, but it doesn't hurt if they did a good job.  I would tip HMU assistants since they're there working for the person who's going to take the largest cut of the payment.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Tipping is the only thing me and my fiance disagree on.  He is a VERY good tipper, me on the other am not against tipping but I feel tipping should be looked at as something you do when the service you received was good to excellent.  I think leaving 20% for someone doing their job at the mediocre level is ridiculous.

When I show up at the office everyday I don't get a tip because I answered a telephone call...it's my job!  However, there have been times when a customer has brought donuts, etc into the office because he appreciates how we treat him.  That is a token of appreciation, he's not EXPECTED or frowned upon if he doesn't.  I think tipping has gotten way out of hand.  Some restaurants put a gratuity right on your bill which I think is presumptuous.  Those people that dont go over their bill line by line like me could potentially be paying the included gratuity of 20% plus an additional 20% to the server.  Helloooo!!!!  40%!!!!

I have allocated 10%  of my overall budget for tipping.  Its up to me how I disperse that money.  Not all things are tippable but the things that are will be tipped based on level of service.  Exceptional service could get 25% but if its crappy service it might only be 5%.

Service is getting worse and worse in restaurants nowadays because there is no incentive for servers to deliver.  It is expected that they will get a tip and when they dont the customer is considered cheap.  Not the case I am more than willing to give a tip (and a good one) if I get good service.

I refuse to add 20-25% to my overall wedding budget just to be able to tip.  If you read your contracts for catering for instance in most cases there is already a 20% tip added into your bill.  I will not be tipping my caterer for that reason.  However, if I notice a particular server that is really on his or her toes I will gladly give that server a tip and not feel bad if I dont tip them all individually.
  • spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    I totally agree with the above and I live in the UK where it's not at the level it is in the US. I only tipped the waiters at our dinner. I did'nt tip hair and makeup which I already paid a small fortune for at the Cosmopolitan. Nor did I tip Caesars or the photographer. Everyone did their job I didn't receive any special service nor did I request any help with anything or contact them much prior to the wedding.
  • I agree that tipping has gotten out of hand, and I am a pretty generous tipper who is trying to scale it back. In my wedding budget I have allocated funds for tips and it's a lot of $. Plus there is that 18% tax or 19.1% tax that some establishments are putting on their venues. My wedding venue has an additional 19.1% tax and it's an extra $300-400 I am paying. Killer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    For what it's worth.. We hired Stevee Danielle and she sends artists, so individuals will be responsible for tipping based on how they feel the person did. The girl who does my hair all the time is coming to do mine and I'll probably tip her 20-25% because I know her and love her. We have to tip bartenders which will probably be the biggest tip - we have 2 bartenders for 5 hours approx 150 people. We will tip at the end of the night based on service. Our photog is the owner of her company but we will likely tip her once we receive all our photos. DJ is an employee of the company so we will tip him, but likely not a 20-25% rate just due to what we are already spending on the service... Same with photo booth. Our wait staff is included in a service charge through the venue. ETA sorry TK hates paragraphs on my iPad
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been in the service industry for so long I can't imagine not tipping. Most states only pay their servers an hourly rate of $2.17 an hour and that is why people depend so heavily on tips. I know I know, the owners should pay their servers more. I agree, however that is not the law. Plus, that extra charge would just be passed on to you anyway. That $10 burger would now be a $15 burger. Imagine you go to work and do your job only you only get paid a fraction of what you should be getting. Plus, we all have are not so best moments at work. I am probably way more forgiving than I should be when it comes to service. Even as a massage therapist. I can't believe how cheap people are. Their service is $100-$130 and they have no problem saying how amazing everything was and then tip $5-15 dollars! Thanks?! I think they assume the person providing the service is make the $100 bucks. Not the case, most likely they are just a getting a flat rate, as little as $15-$20. I wish our service industry was more like Europe. But, it's not. Be kind and do what you feel is right. Then again I've had some cracked out service in Europe too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards