Chit Chat

How Do I Make This Up To H

I love my H.  He's an amazing man and when he married me, he inherited my family and my family's offspring.    Our niece's birthday is coming up and in her parents infinite wisdom, they planned her birthday during the biggest divisional rivalry game.  I mean smack dab in the middle of it.   My family's a big fan, but not as big as my H and I are.   It's brutal for me and extra hard for him, but because he loves me and his niece he's agreed to go and miss the game.  

How do I make it up to him? Because lets be honest I feel like I need to make it up to myself too.  I love her, but this is a BIG game! 

Re: How Do I Make This Up To H

• Tickets to another home game?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • If your family is fans too, will they have the game on at the party? I mean, there's generally not a whole heck of a lot for adults to participate in at a kid's birthday party. In my family it's general chit chat and whatever sporting event is on in the background.

• Seriously- make it up to him by cutting the man loose. Its not a christening or anything.

• Agree with PPs. The best thing would be to let him out of the party. Unless this is a super-important birthday that kid will remember, I think it would be okay for you and he to plan to do something special with kid later at a non-game time.
    Anniversary

• H & I had to miss my neice's First Communion because it was the day of our pre-cana. We made it up to her later. If you have tickets TO the game, then let your H go! If you feel the need to go to the birthday party, then you can go to that. If it were me, H & I would both be going to the game.
  • LakeR2014 said:
    I love my H.  He's an amazing man and when he married me, he inherited my family and my family's offspring.    Our niece's birthday is coming up and in her parents infinite wisdom, they planned her birthday during the biggest divisional rivalry game.  I mean smack dab in the middle of it.   My family's a big fan, but not as big as my H and I are.   It's brutal for me and extra hard for him, but because he loves me and his niece he's agreed to go and miss the game.  

How do I make it up to him? Because lets be honest I feel like I need to make it up to myself too.  I love her, but this is a BIG game! 
    I mean, it's just a birthday party. Why does he have to be there? Let the man go!
  • Kids' birthday parties are the Actual Worst. The kids give zero fucks about the adults present, and the adults are all bored. A friend invited me to her niece's first birthday party. I politely declined the SHIT out of it.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I would have told H that he didn't have to go to the birthday party.
    Yea same. My family doesn't get the obsession with sports, but it is really important to H. I rather let him miss out on slightly smaller things then a possible big thing (like vacation... where we didn't have a TV kinda thing....)

Anniversary
  • How old is that kid? I'm sure he can spend a special just with her and you. You should let him go to the game. Poor guy. Otherwise nice romantic dinner and awesome seksay times ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would not give up a home football game for birthday party. I have skipped a few weddings bc of that. I would let him go to the game. A lesser game would not make it up to me, but I'm a crazy fan like that.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Put the game on at the party and don't feel bad. Family is more important than a damn game.

Edit:
    But if you already had plans he should go! I didn't realize they were tickets and not on TV game. My bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you have tickets already - use said tickets. If not - how old is the kid? How in to the rivalry is your family? Because - my family, we're huge Steelers fans. And if someone had a small childs birthday party during a big game - we'd all most likely BE THERE - but huddled in the living room as a family screaming at the television. :-)
  • Yeah I didn't see where it said he had tickets, not just plans to watch on TV. I would definitely not ask him to give up seeing a game in person in favor of a child's birthday party. 

If the party is someplace awful like Chuck E Cheese or something, where watching on TV wouldn't be an option, I wouldn't expect him to go. Hell, I wouldn't want to go. That's not a family bonding experience then, it's just torture.

• larrygaga said:
    Put the game on at the party and don't feel bad. Family is more important than a damn game. Edit: But if you already had plans he should go! I didn't realize they were tickets and not on TV game. My bad.
    Only if everyone else at the party is cool with the game being put on. I'm not a sports fan. I hate when I'm having a party and it's decided we have to put on the game because the sports fans HAVE TO SEE THE GAME. Even if it's only one person. No one ever lets me control the TV to watch Glee. 
  • Oh yeah if he is GOING to the game, fuck this party. I'd definitely go to the game. 

I've missed several family events for football games and no one has ever been upset (that I know of).
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Tickets or not.  TV at the party or not.  I would tell your H that he does not need to go the birthday party.  It is a kids birthday party.  It happens every year.  It isn't like this is her one and only party ever.

• When you say "he's agreed to go and miss the game" are you making him go or did he get the party invite and say "oh guess I need to miss the game"?

• larrygaga said:
    Put the game on at the party and don't feel bad. Family is more important than a damn game. Edit: But if you already had plans he should go! I didn't realize they were tickets and not on TV game. My bad.
    Only if everyone else at the party is cool with the game being put on. I'm not a sports fan. I hate when I'm having a party and it's decided we have to put on the game because the sports fans HAVE TO SEE THE GAME. Even if it's only one person. No one ever lets me control the TV to watch Glee. 
    Yeah, sorry, but it's super rude to go over to someone's house for a party and then just turn on the television.  You can catch up on your sports by recording it or something like the rest of us do when we can't watch something we want to.  
  • edited September 2014
    I also have a H who is very serious about sports.  He's warned me that he WILL NOT miss a game when his team is playing, no matter what.  I'm sure I could convince him to skip a game for something really important, but it would take something big. Like others, I'd let (and have allowed) DH skip the party, even if it's to watch the game at home, since it's important to him.  It's a birthday party... not a big, once in a lifetime event. Then I'd just tell my family that he would have like to come but already had other plans for that day (which is true, since he had already planned to watch the game).   If it was a wedding, baptism, or something that only happens once, I'd probably make him (or strongly request) skip the game. But, I'm not going to force him to go to a kids birthday party if there is something more important to him going on.

• pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I can't remember which of my older family members came to my bday parties when I was a kid. I can't even remember who was at my last Dirty Thirty bday party.

Go or watch the game, and you guys can take your niece out on another occasion. She will most likely appreciate it more if you take her out on a special bday date to someplace she loves.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards