Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Most popular shots

Hey there

At our wedding we are planning to offer 2 types of beer, red and white wine as well as 2 alcoholic and 1 non alcoholic signature drinks (plus soda and water for non-drinkers)

We're toying with the idea of also offering signature shots, only 2 kinds like a "bride's shot" and a "groom's shot"  

For the bride's shot, I would probably go with something fruity and delicious like this "Purple People Eater" shot that I found a recipe for that looks DELISH:

1 part Blue Curacao
1 part Peach Schnapps
1 part White Rum
1 part Grenadine

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a "groom's shot", what was the most popular shot at your wedding (or other weddings you have been to)?

Thanks! 

Re: Most popular shots

• First, I would check with your venue to see if shots being served are even allowed.  I know at my venue they were not.

As for a popular shot, I love me a good Cinnamon Toast Crunch (half rum chata and half fireball whiskey)

• We are hosting at a private residence, the world is our oyster. :)

Ohhhh that sounds yummy, I've never had rum chata.
  • Let your groom pick! 
    *********************************************************************************

• For some reason everyone at our wedding was doing lemon drops. It's a pretty mellow shot so even people who don't normally do shots were doing them.

Oh you are missing out.  In the winter I tend to pour a little (or a lot depending on my day) into a cup of hot chocolate.  Super yummy!

• White gummy bear shots are delicious, but I'm having trouble remembering what goes in them. 

You could balance your fruity shot with something rich and decadent, like a chocolate cake shot (vodka, frangelico, and lemon wedge coated in sugar) or a wedding cake shot (can't remember the ingredients). 
  • Mmmm yum thanks! 
  • Do you really want your guests doing shots?  You could end up with some seriously wasted guests.

Which, brings me to an important consideration--you're having this at a private residence.  If you end up with wasted guests who get hurt, hurt someone, damage the residence, have car accident afterwards, etc...you and the homeowner could be liable.  Make sure you get an event insurance policy and honestly disclose how the liquor will be served.  Some places will not insure your event if it is not served by a licensed bartending service.
  • edited September 2014
    We live in the Bahamas, the law surrounding these sorts of things is quite different here.  

We have also hired a professional bar tending service to serve and monitor the drinking.  

That aside, we will be strongly discouraging drinking and driving and are providing parking in a place where cars can be left overnight and shuttle buses for our guests to get home and back to their accommodations.

Oh you are missing out.  In the winter I tend to pour a little (or a lot depending on my day) into a cup of hot chocolate.  Super yummy!

And the quote box is not to be found....

Note to self -pick up rum chata for hot chocolate season. They say Winter is coming early and fiercely so i may as well be well prepared.
  • edited September 2014
    I really love the sound of the CTC shot. I want to try it!

I would present your groom with some of the suggestions and have him choose if you're doing bride and groom shots.

Maybe go for something that either compliments or contrasts one another, so that people have a sweet and sour option, hard and easy option, etc.

Lemon Drops, Killer KoolAids, and Kamikazes are easiest to drink, I would say.

Also, maybe change the names of shots if necessary. Some aren't very wedding friendly for various reasons. :P
  • "Jage-bom*s" or Shnaps are a good "manly" shot.  IMO - I'm with the PP in letting the groom choose, and even if the laws are different, REALLY ask yourself if you want guests doing a lot of shots!  When one gets sloppy drunk and breaks something, remember it's you that has to pay for the damage...

• MesmrEwe said:

"Jage-bom*s" or Shnaps are a good "manly" shot.  IMO - I'm with the PP in letting the groom choose, and even if the laws are different, REALLY ask yourself if you want guests doing a lot of shots!  When one gets sloppy drunk and breaks something, remember it's you that has to pay for the damage...

I can just as easily get sloppy drunk from drinking wine as I can from doing shots.  Adults (typically) know their limits and won't be standing at the bar slamming shot after shot.  If they do, well they would probably be doing the same with a mixed drink, beer or wine if shots weren't available.

• MesmrEwe said:

"Jage-bom*s" or Shnaps are a good "manly" shot.  IMO - I'm with the PP in letting the groom choose, and even if the laws are different, REALLY ask yourself if you want guests doing a lot of shots!  When one gets sloppy drunk and breaks something, remember it's you that has to pay for the damage...

I can just as easily get sloppy drunk from drinking wine as I can from doing shots.  Adults (typically) know their limits and won't be standing at the bar slamming shot after shot.  If they do, well they would probably be doing the same with a mixed drink, beer or wine if shots weren't available.

So very true!  My point was in relation to many reception halls  and establishments that serve alcohol tend to limit shots or have eliminated them all together from even being an option because it is quicker/far easier for a person to reach their limit and/or overdose without even realizing it with shots than it is wine, mixers, or beer because of the alcohol content vs. volume. People tend to space the amount of time out to consume a glass of wine/beer/mixer over the quick gulp that is a shot.  In the span of time I worked at a golf course, we went from having them to eliminating them entirely because too many people really don't know where their limit is, some even getting violent because they were cut off. 

Back to the OP though - I really think you're providing enough without even adding shots..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards