Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sorta a vent, but not me...

Ok, I will take this as short and to the point as possible.

The characters:

Aunt Vicki - deceased and grandmother of the bride
Aunt Fran - living and has dementia, 83 yrs old, lives in DE
Aunt Mary - deceased but lived in town
Uncle Marty - married to Aunt Mary, lives in same town
Barbara - my mom and sister to the aunts, SIL to Uncle Marty. lives in MI
Carol - Aunt Vicki's daughter
Shelly - Carol's daughter, Aunt Vicki's granddaughter

Ok, so here's the story:  Shelly is having a DW in FL.  No big deal.  Both Aunt Fran and Uncle Marty got invites to the wedding, as well as Fran's son & DIL, but not Fran's daughter & SIL.  Barbara and her DH did not get an invitation.

Aunt Vicki died about 2 years ago; Aunt Mary died about 15 months ago.  When Aunt Mary died, a heirloom went to my mom.  Carol wanted it, but Barbara said no.  Later she had second thoughts and gave it to Carol at the family reunion this May.

Barbara feels slighted by Shelly because of the heirloom incident and that Carol influenced her NOT to invite Barbara and her husband.  To be honest, Aunt Fran is just not able to make the trip - and that comes from Aunt Fran's son. She may remember one minute then gone the next.  To go from DE to FL probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Barbara thinks that she should send a gift to Shelly, but I say no.  No invite, no gift  Invite, go/no go, gift yes.

Personally, I could care less that I didn't get an invite.  I just feel bad that my mom and dad didn't get one, but my other aunt and uncle did. Cousins who live in the same town did not get invites.

Just want to hear your thoughts...

Oh, just one other thing.  Carol's sister, Betty, has a son that is getting married very soon.  They did send an invitation, which my parents had to decline, but are sending a gift.  Betty also lives in the same town as her sister Carol.

Re: Sorta a vent, but not me...

• Options
    Ok, I will take this as short and to the point as possible.

The characters:

Aunt Vicki - deceased and grandmother of the bride
    Aunt Fran - living and has dementia, 83 yrs old, lives in DE
    Aunt Mary - deceased but lived in town
    Uncle Marty - married to Aunt Mary, lives in same town
    Barbara - my mom and sister to the aunts, SIL to Uncle Marty. lives in MI
    Carol - Aunt Vicki's daughter
    Shelly - Carol's daughter, Aunt Vicki's granddaughter

Ok, so here's the story:  Shelly is having a DW in FL.  No big deal.  Both Aunt Fran and Uncle Marty got invites to the wedding, as well as Fran's son & DIL, but not Fran's daughter & SIL.  Barbara and her DH did not get an invitation.

Aunt Vicki died about 2 years ago; Aunt Mary died about 15 months ago.  When Aunt Mary died, a heirloom went to my mom.  Carol wanted it, but Barbara said no.  Later she had second thoughts and gave it to Carol at the family reunion this May.

Barbara feels slighted by Shelly because of the heirloom incident and that Carol influenced her NOT to invite Barbara and her husband.  To be honest, Aunt Fran is just not able to make the trip - and that comes from Aunt Fran's son. She may remember one minute then gone the next.  To go from DE to FL probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Barbara thinks that she should send a gift to Shelly, but I say no.  No invite, no gift  Invite, go/no go, gift yes.

Personally, I could care less that I didn't get an invite.  I just feel bad that my mom and dad didn't get one, but my other aunt and uncle did. Cousins who live in the same town did not get invites.

Just want to hear your thoughts...

Oh, just one other thing.  Carol's sister, Betty, has a son that is getting married very soon.  They did send an invitation, which my parents had to decline, but are sending a gift.  Betty also lives in the same town as her sister Carol.
    If your Mom wants to send a gift then she has ever right to send a gift.

I think you are making a bigger deal out of this then is really necessary.  Also why does your Mom feel slighted by Shelly when Shelly had zero to do with the heirloom issue.  Your Mom should feel irritated with Carol, but seeing as your Mom changed her mind and gave Carol the heirloom then there really is no issue is there?  But you and your Mom have really no idea why she wasn't invited nor does the reason matter.  No one is required to be invited.

I think I would just let this go.

• Options
    Gah sorry I won't be much help because I'm way too confused by the number of people in this saga! All I can say is that IMO people can invite whoever they want to a wedding (as long as they are inviting SOs to whoever they're inviting). It's obviously "better" to invite in circles to avoid hurt feelings, but no one should feel entitled to a wedding invite. Budget, space, how close you are all factor in to why someone would or wouldn't get invited to a wedding. Wedding gifts are always optional whether you're invited or not, so definitely don't feel obligated to give one.
    Agreed.  And maybe Shelley never planned on inviting your mom, and with her grandmother dead, she doesn't have to because her grandmother isn't around to get her feelings hurt.  If her grandma was still living, she might have felt like she needed to invite every relative on her side of the family, but is now free to invite her book club instead!
  • Options
    FIL didn't want to invite his 3 brothers, but did invite his sister - it was his call. 2 of the 3 brothers sent us a gift bc they knew about the wedding. I felt a little bad about not inviting them, but as far as DH & I were concerned it was his dad's decision, bc we didn't care. Don't blame Shelly - if Carol is paying then Shelly really has no say if her mom doesn't want your mom there. Let it go. If your mom wants to send a gift she can. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Aunt Vicki only had two LIVING sisters, Aunt Fran (whose husband is deceased) and my mom.  Uncle Marty was married to Aunt Mary.  Neither Aunt Fran or Uncle Marty is in a relationship with anyone.

I think Carol put a bug in Shelly's ear NOT to invite my mom and dad. Makes me think she is still pissed about the heirloom not going to her ASAP.  Actually, Uncle Marty was the only one who allowed my mom to go thru Aunt Mary's things after she passed, and my mom asked about certain things first.  He was the one who told my mom that she could have the the heirloom per what my Aunt Mary had told him.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    why do you care so much if your mom wants to send a gift to her niece?

Seriously, I don't give a shit who my mom gives gifts to. Her money, her choice.  
    Great niece- if I have my family tree correct.

OP, your mom is Carol's aunt, correct? So Shelly is her great niece.

I''m not that close with my Dad's side of the family, so I only invited my grandmother (obviously), and one of her siblings (and his wife of course). They have 5 other living siblings of my grandmother, that I'm not close to, so I didn't invited them.

I also invited my Dad's 4 siblings and their spouses, as well as one cousin and her husband (out of 8 cousins on that side). 

You have to let this go. People can invite whoever they want as long as they include SO. And if your mom wants to get Shelly a gift, that's not really your business.

• Options
    Aunt Vicki only had two LIVING sisters, Aunt Fran (whose husband is deceased) and my mom.  Uncle Marty was married to Aunt Mary.  Neither Aunt Fran or Uncle Marty is in a relationship with anyone.

I think Carol put a bug in Shelly's ear NOT to invite my mom and dad. Makes me think she is still pissed about the heirloom not going to her ASAP.  Actually, Uncle Marty was the only one who allowed my mom to go thru Aunt Mary's things after she passed, and my mom asked about certain things first.  He was the one who told my mom that she could have the the heirloom per what my Aunt Mary had told him.
    And? Sorry but none of this changes my response from before.  You are making a big deal out of nothing.  Let. It. Go.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    why do you care so much if your mom wants to send a gift to her niece?

Seriously, I don't give a shit who my mom gives gifts to. Her money, her choice.  
    Great niece- if I have my family tree correct.

OP, your mom is Carol's aunt, correct? So Shelly is her great niece.

I''m not that close with my Dad's side of the family, so I only invited my grandmother (obviously), and one of her siblings (and his wife of course). They have 5 other living siblings of my grandmother, that I'm not close to, so I didn't invited them.

I also invited my Dad's 4 siblings and their spouses, as well as one cousin and her husband (out of 8 cousins on that side). 

You have to let this go. People can invite whoever they want as long as they include SO. And if your mom wants to get Shelly a gift, that's not really your business.
    I had first then change my mind.   

Whatever the case who the hell cares if mom wants to send a gift to her grand-niece?   This is how stupid family feuds continue. Holding grudges over stupid crap.

I'm not saying if Shelly is right or wrong not inviting your parents.  I do not know the reasons behind why they are not invited.  However, if your mom wants to send her a gift then I think that is an excellent idea. It shows there is no hard feelings on her side. It shows your mom is a nice, caring and thoughtful person.

Stop being bitter over someone else not getting an invite. It's not your business on why and it certainly is not your business if someone wants to send a gift to an event they are not invited to.   

BTW - I received quite a few gifts from people not invited to my wedding. Mostly from guests at the resort I work.  They had no reason to expect an invite.  Heck, some didn't even know our last name.  

In a way I was more appreciative of those gifts.   People who come to weddings tend to give gifts out of obligations.  Those people gave us a gift simply because they are thoughtful and caring people. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses.  The only reason I posted this is that I have to hear about it daily as I live with my parents (not my choice).  I had to get it off my chest as I am under stress as it is and didn't want to add to it.

As I said, I could personally care less, but it was indirectly affecting my mental health.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses.  The only reason I posted this is that I have to hear about it daily as I live with my parents (not my choice).  I had to get it off my chest as I am under stress as it is and didn't want to add to it.

As I said, I could personally care less, but it was indirectly affecting my mental health.
    If you're unhappy with your living situation - you have choice, work to change that.

But there is no obligation to invite anyone to your wedding. People who have complained that they assumed they would be invited to our wedding and haven't been - made their relationship with us decline. Your mom seems to be taking the high road and just wants to send a gift. So she should do so. And it's really none of your business.
  • Options
    Disability makea it NOT my choice,, and Social Security only pays $700 a month.  I'd be out on the streets if I didn't have my parents.  Even living in a motel is at least $100 week....so that leaves $300 to pay my insurances (health/life/car), phone, gas and food and try to save something.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your predicament and I think there is no problem with venting on theknot. Especially if your goal was to get other's opinions on the matter. Hopefully your mom will let it go and when she brings it up to you again just bean dip her.
  • Options
    Perdonami. thanks for the boost.  It's not like I can get up and get away whenever I want.  Venting was the only way to get it out of my system, even thou it wasn't my problem - I had to hear about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards