Getting in Shape

Raspberry Ketones?

It's just a question so please no rude comments. A friend of mine just got married about a month ago and I noticed at her wedding she looked a lot thinner. I asked her about it and she said she lost 35 lbs in 4 months because she started taking raspberry ketone capsules. She said she watched her diet and ate a lot of protein too. She HATES to exercise and so do I lol. Has anyone tried the raspberry ketones? I also saw it promoted on Dr. Oz.

Re: Raspberry Ketones?

• Dr. Oz was questioned by Congress for some of the things he endorses.  I personally do not trust him.  I don't know too much about raspberry ketone, but I just googled it and few things I found mentioned that its a chemical.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to put a chemical in body, even if its supposed to help me lose weight.  I only use all natural products and I don't use anything that has artificial sweeteners either.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dr. Oz is crock. I work at a bank and get quite literally hundreds of calls a week about customer complaints that it doesn't work and that the merchant will continuously charge them months after they had cancelled their order. Its a huge PITA that is best avoided at all costs.
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Your friend lost weight because she ingested fewer calories than her body used every day. It has nothing to do with any supplements, I promise you.

I know wanting an easy fix is tempting...but if something that easy worked, everyone would do it. But not even prescription weight loss meds (phentermine etc) work without you eating less.

Zero snark intended here...I just hate to see people waste time and money on miracle pills when calories in/calories out works as long as you count/weight/measure correctly and you've figured out your daily energy expenditure right.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I agree that your friend lost weight because she was eating fewer calories. 

There is no magic pill. Just good old diet and exercise. Worked for me - I lost 15 pounds for my wedding. 
  • I think I've seen these for sale on Amazon, which might be a way for you to try them for yourself in a non-scammy way.  I don't think they will do anything for you, though.  I know a friend who also took them but changed nothing else and they did...nothing.  
  • kikstizzykikstizzy member
    First Comment
    edited September 2014
    I'm a pharmacist. Dr. Oz is a complete joke. Please do not trust anything he says, or any product that promises drastic changes in a short time. There are no weight loss supplements that will safely & effectively help you lose weight. They either contain massive amounts of stimulants like caffeine, which can be dangerous at worst and at best will just make you jittery and nauseous; or things like raspberry ketone which really only "works" when combined with diet and exercise -- ie. it is not actually doing anything at all. 

I understand the temptation. I need to lose at least twenty pounds before my wedding (August 2015) and for the first time in my life I plan to do it in a healthy way as opposed to just starving myself. It's hard work. Really hard. But the results will be worth it! :) 
  • peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Embarrassed to admit it but I actually bought raspberry ketones in the chance that they worked and made me lose weight magically. They didn't do anything.

One thing I have been doing though is cutting back on carbs and sugar. No bread, no beer, no sweets. It sucks but I have lost a little weight already and am getting used to ordering burgers without buns, and so on. Exercising moderately and not going tooo crazy yet (wedding still a year away).

ETA: words are hard
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• peachy13 said:
    Embarrassed to admit it but I actually bought raspberry ketones in the chance that they worked and made me lose weight magically. They didn't do anything.

One thing I have been doing though is cutting back on carbs and sugar. No bread, no beer, no sweets. It sucks but I have lost a little weight already and am getting used to ordering burgers without buns, and so on. Exercising moderately and not going tooo crazy yet (wedding still a year away).

ETA: words are hard
    I'm losing weight in a similar way, cutting the bread, and alcohol in general.  No late eating, and no lying to yourself.  I look at food and ask myself, "will this help me reach my goal, or delay me from reaching it?"  That's enough to make me be good.  If there are no other options, like at a fancy party I was at, I just tried one of something or kept my portions small. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards