Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Charger Plates

My fiance and I are paying for our wedding and are trying to save where we can. I was wondering if anyone is selling 12-13" charger plates OR if you know of a good place to get them. I need about 200 and silver would be best but if it's a different color that's ok :)

Re: Charger Plates

• Options
    Try looking on your local boards. They're heavy, so you wouldn't want to ship them.
  • Options
    Check out Michael's, they often have sales for the plastic chargers for 1.00 each.
  • Options
    I rented silver ones from caterer for $1 each.  Easier than boxing them up afterwards, finding a way to get them home--my wedding was in a different state--and better than having to make sure they were clean then burden someone else (family, wedding party) with dealing with it for me.  Sometimes there's something to be said for convenience.  I paid the money, they appeared, and then they went away.  So easy.
  • Options
    I bought 60 red ones last year from Dollar Tree for a $1 each. They were for a family reunion. Try dollar/discount stores, especially now that Christmas is coming up. Caution: they are VERY heavy, so if you find someone that has them and is willing to mail them, expect to pay for the weight. I've decided to keep about 10 of them because they are very nice.

If you can rent them for under $2, it may be easier. 
  • Options
     All of this! Also, maybe check out some random Black Friday Sales, or Boxing Day, if you have it. :)

*J
  • Options
    I saw them at bed bath and beyond in silver but they're a bit expensive. 
    About 12 dollars for 6 plates. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     I know everyone likes the look of chargers, but really they are pretty useless item.  Only good for a photo opt.    If you are looking to save money I say just don't get them.

I didn't have them.  My tables still looked nice.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
     I know everyone likes the look of chargers, but really they are pretty useless item.  Only good for a photo opt.    If you are looking to save money I say just don't get them.

I didn't have them.  My tables still looked nice.
    I agree with this.  For a small dinner party I could see one buying 10 or so charges but for a large wedding I just don't get it.  And many times the chargers are taken away after the salad course so that $200+ you just spent was seen by your guests for approximately 10 minutes and you may catch a tiny glimpse of a charger in your photos because the chargers certainly aren't the "star" of the event.

When H and I went to my friends wedding (I was also a BM) she had chargers.  After the salad course the servers came around and collected the chargers.  H was like "hey why are they taking away my dinner plate?"  I told him what they were and his response, "what the fuck is the point!?"

• Options
    I disagree.  I think they look nice and give each person a sense of how much space they have at their table setting.  I had a very southern wedding with lots of silver--the flowers were in silver urns, the cupcakes on silver stands...the photos of the tables with the silver chargers look great.  I can't have pictured it any other way.  It's all in what matters to a person.  The chargers were worth every penny of the $1 each I spent to rent them.
  • Options
    I got chargers on craigslist for .60 each! The key is to be patient and wait for a good deal to come along.
  • Options
    I disagree.  I think they look nice and give each person a sense of how much space they have at their table setting.  I had a very southern wedding with lots of silver--the flowers were in silver urns, the cupcakes on silver stands...the photos of the tables with the silver chargers look great.  I can't have pictured it any other way.  It's all in what matters to a person.  The chargers were worth every penny of the $1 each I spent to rent them.
    That's what the silverware is for. And, you know, the fact that most of us have eaten dinner at a table for most of our lives and know approximately how much space we get, rather than sprawling out across 3 settings.

If budget is an issue, chargers are a no-brainer to skip. For as nice as the Pinterest pics look with them, it's not like you're going to hang a photo of your place setting on the wall anyway. People will see them for 10 minutes and then they'll be gone and no one will notice or care except you, for paying for them.

• Options
    ::snort::  You are funny.  People eat off tables everything single day.  Sometimes at home, sometimes at restaurants.  The vast majority of the places to not have chargers, yet people seem to figure out how much of the table space is theirs.

I still stand by my comment if it's a budget issue you can totally skip them.  $200 could be better spent else where.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If you are doing an estate table for the wedding party you could just spiffy up that table alone and do changers there! That is what I am probably doing to save money!
  • Options
    If you are doing an estate table for the wedding party you could just spiffy up that table alone and do changers there! That is what I am probably doing to save money!
    Why would you want to make one table look more "spiffy" than the others?  And what's an estate table?

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Why would you want to make one table look more "spiffy" than the others?  And what's an estate table?
    It looks like it's another name for a king's table.

• Options
    Estate seating is everyone at one long table. Daughter did this,  and several people mentioned how much they liked it. It was a fun, family feeling to have one big table. (We only 50 guests and a long skinny dining room, so it worked.)
  • Options
    One of the ladies on the Budget board suggested Smartyhadaparty.com.  Loved their prices on everything.
  • Options
    Estate seating is everyone at one long table. Daughter did this,  and several people mentioned how much they liked it. It was a fun, family feeling to have one big table. (We only 50 guests and a long skinny dining room, so it worked.)
    I stand corrected! :)

We considered doing this at our reception, as we started with only 15 guests.
  • Options
    I thought a king's table was the same thing for quite a while...am I correct in thinking the kings table is like the head table, but with both sides used, alla famiglia, instead of just one side facing the guests? I think that's right, but I've been wrong before. Maybe once. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards