Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Hudson Valley Wedding - "We Got Married" Party?

Hey everyone!

So my fiance and I (so weird saying that!) are in the process of checking out venues in the Hudson Valley. Not so shockingly, everything just seems so expensive. We're really trying to do something a bit original, not wedding factory, but still within a reasonable budget - maybe 90pp including tax and tip if possible. So far, we've checked out FEAST at Round Hill, Brotherhood Winery, Locust Grove, and we're in the process of checking out a few other places. They're all stunning, but still fairly expensive, and I just can't justify spending so much money on a 5-6 hour event.

My sister jokingly said, what about getting married separately, and having a "We Got Married!" party? I laughed, but then actually started to half consider it. Considering that these insane prices are easily paid year and after year because of the word 'wedding' attached to it, it doesn't sound like an awful idea. I wanted to ask if any of you have done this, or gone to one of these parties before. Not sure how to even have this conversation with a venue.

Let me know your experiences or general opinions on it - thanks!

Re: Hudson Valley Wedding - "We Got Married" Party?

• Options
    I don't know about the area that you're in, but the venues near me don't have different per person prices on food based on what the event is so having a party instead of a wedding wouldn't save any money.

You could try posting on your local board for suggestions of cheaper venues in your area than what you've already looked at.
  • Options
    As long as everyone knows they are invited to a "We got Married!" party and not a wedding, I think it is fine.

That being said, I think you need to consider why venues charge more for weddings. I specifically asked venues that had different prices for weddings and other events and their answer was pretty reasonable. Brides take up more attention, they send more emails, ask more questions, and the venue needs to pay people to answer their questions. Weddings also require the coordination of more vendors. There is more decor, a DJ, a photographer, a giant cake, and all of these people need to set their stuff up at the venue, and the venue has to coordinate it, so they charge more.

There are other ways to save money. Try the off season, booking closer to your date, getting married on a Friday or Sunday. Or try more casual venues. Maybe a brewery instead of a winery?
  • Options
    The most expensive part of a wedding is usually the reception.  It is the reception costs that are giving you sticker shock.  I really doubt that you will save any money by having separate ceremony and a later celebration.  If anything, this will cost you more.
    Have you checked out having a lunch/brunch reception?  You can save a lot, still serve elegant food, and offer mimosas instead of open bar.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

The most expensive part of a wedding is usually the reception.  It is the reception costs that are giving you sticker shock.  I really doubt that you will save any money by having separate ceremony and a later celebration.  If anything, this will cost you more.
    Have you checked out having a lunch/brunch reception?  You can save a lot, still serve elegant food, and offer mimosas instead of open bar.

This.

Try Villa Borghese, Bear Mountain and Patriot Hills. I've heard they're all reasonable.
  • Options
    Thanks all! We've decided to go with Feast at Round Hill, and we're very happy with the deal we received. Thanks for your input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards