Registry and Gift Forum

Macy's

We registered at Macys yesterday and when we were finished, they printed out our registry for us. I noticed when we got home that it says on the bottom "B and G prefer to have their gifts shipped to the following address:" and then lists our home address. Is this normal or will people read it as, we would prefer you ship the gifts to us versus bringing them to the shower? Because obviously that's not what we want.

Re: Macy's

• I assume shipping address is for anyone purchasing off your registry for wedding gifts. People normally bring gifts to the shower but it is customary to ship wedding gifts to a home address.
  • Ok. I've seen people ripped to shreds on here for mentioning that it would be more convenient for gifts to be shipped somewhere versus bringing them to the shower so I thought maybe this would come off as requesting that. It doesn't really make sense to me why they do this because it someone is shopping in the store they are probably not planning on shipping the gift?
  • It just means that if you are planning to purchase the gift to be shipped, this is the exact address to use. It has nothing to do with anything other than providing the address you want any gifts that people prefer to have shipped to. For instance, we prefer any gifts that people want to ship to us sent to his parents' house because they are home all day so packages aren't sitting around on our front porch just waiting to be stolen.
  • I knew that was their intention but it's just so prominent on the registry so I was skeptical. Thanks for the peace of mind!
  • Translation: "If you're going to ship a gift from this registry, here's the address."

People know to bring boxed gifts to a wedding shower. If they're OOT and need to ship something, they'll usually contact the host of the shower and ask where they should ship the gift so it's at the shower when they arrive.
    *********************************************************************************

• We registered at Macy's and while everyone that attended the shower brought a gift, those that didn't actually purchased a gift and it was shipped to the address we had listed.  That's really all its used for.  In fact, one of my really good friends ordered the gift online and though she attended, she forgot to change the ship to address to hers and it shipped to my parents house LOL.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Going along with this, has anyone had any trouble with people attending your shower accidentally sending the gifts to you when ordering from Macy's website?  So far, about half of the gifts on my registry have unintentionally made their way to my house, requiring my mom to open them to check the billing address and have them arranged to be picked up by the purchaser.  What I'm finding is that it's really easy to overlook the shipping address, which is defaulting to the B&G
  • shaker227shaker227 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Yes - my mom is the only one to purchase off the registry so far, didn't see an option to use her own address, and had to call customer service to get the address changed to hers after the order was placed. I called customer service myself to see if I had the registry set up incorrectly, but nope, they informed me that my mom just missed the option to ship to her address. My mom is the most careful human being I know, so I don't have high hopes that others will see it. I believe invites for my shower are being mailed tomorrow so we shall see.... That's a good idea about having someone else open them to check the billing address. Maybe I will ask whoever is handling the RSVPs do that so they can let me know if it's someone who is planning to come to the shower or not.
  • I also have my MOH letting people know as they RSVP that if they intend on purchasing from macys.com to just be cautious of the shipping address.  Hope you have a better experience with it than I have so far!!!
  • I came home to 5 boxes from macys last night. I gave them to my mom to open and it seems like they meant to send them to me because there was a card enclosed in one (they were all from the same group of people). They are FIs family so I asked FMIL how to handle and she said to bring them to the shower and open them there. Apparently they did the same thing for FSIL. Seems weird to me, but at least it doesn't seem to be the fault of a confusing website. I changed my shipping address to my moms house in case the rest of his family does this too! On another note it has made me so excited to get gifts!

• shaker227 said:
    I came home to 5 boxes from macys last night. I gave them to my mom to open and it seems like they meant to send them to me because there was a card enclosed in one (they were all from the same group of people). They are FIs family so I asked FMIL how to handle and she said to bring them to the shower and open them there. Apparently they did the same thing for FSIL. Seems weird to me, but at least it doesn't seem to be the fault of a confusing website. I changed my shipping address to my moms house in case the rest of his family does this too! On another note it has made me so excited to get gifts!
    I just bought a wedding gift off Macy's registry yesterday and it hod the B&G address "for privacy reasons." I could choose to ship it to myself or to the address they had requested, that I could not see.

You need to be certain the gifts are for the shower and not wedding presents. Unless they specifically state they are for the shower then you should thank them for the wedding gift. If you thank them for the shower gift when it was actually your wedding present it will create an awkward situation.

Many people order wedding gifts as some as they get the invitation so they can have the best choices. I sent the wedding present prior tot he shower.

If I can't attend the shower and want eh bride to open it at the shower I will send the gift to the host's house, not the bride's.

I would open the gifts you received and send thank you notes immediately. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• They are for the shower. The card was only from an aunt and 4 female cousins, all of whom are married. They are also all attending the shower. They may have thought they were sending them to the host since the address does not show up. The gifts arrived 1 week from the day the shower invitations were mailed. The wedding invitations are not out yet. Also, I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure that's technically the "right" answer but this is not the etiquette board. I care much more about respecting how FMIL wants me to handle this versus the slim chance the gift givers will be offended if I wait less than a month until my shower to open them.
  • shaker227 said:
    They are for the shower. The card was only from an aunt and 4 female cousins, all of whom are married. They are also all attending the shower. They may have thought they were sending them to the host since the address does not show up. The gifts arrived 1 week from the day the shower invitations were mailed. The wedding invitations are not out yet. Also, I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure that's technically the "right" answer but this is not the etiquette board. I care much more about respecting how FMIL wants me to handle this versus the slim chance the gift givers will be offended if I wait less than a month until my shower to open them.
    It's not technically  the  "right" answer - it is the right answer. No quotes needed.

It doesn't matter which board you post on you are typically going to get the etiquette approved answer. If you don't care about offending your guests that's on you, not me...no need  get catty back. You asked a question on a public forum - you will get answers and opinion you may not like. But since you don't care who you offend I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears as well.

I have never heard of anyone paying for shipping for a shower gift when they will be attending the shower. That sounds high unlikely, wasteful or just plain dumb - take your pick.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm sorry if it came off as catty, just was trying to be clear and to the point. Of course I care about not offending people. The reason I asked my FMIL's opinion is because that's all I care about. If that's what she thinks her sister and nieces want, and it doesn't really hurt anyone, does it really matter that it doesn't 100% follow etiquette? That's all I meant by the calling it the "right" answer. Sometimes there's a human aspect too.
    And as I said, they are coming to the shower, so I guess in your eyes they are being wasteful and dumb. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you only said that because you thought I was being catty first, but if not that was a pretty unkind thing to say.
  • As an FYI for anyone in the future in a similar situation and comes across this thread - after having several family members ask me (not very nicely) why I was having a shower if I wanted the gifts shipped to my house, I finally convinced the bridal consultant at macys to remove that message from our registry. She fought me every step of the way but eventually conceded and removed it - so it CAN be done, even if they say it can't.
    Good grief. Why do they make it so hard to not offend people?
  • The whole point of the address is to ship gifts if you can't make it to the shower.  I only had one problem with Macy's and shipping to my house.  Everyone was else was able to figure out how to change the address, though I will admit it wasn't easy.
    Anniversary

• I probably should have clarified that I was referring to my original post, not the subsequent problem with online ordering. My family's issue was with the phrase "bride and groom prefer to have gifts shipped to the following address" and then our address, which printed out on the in-store registry. My address is still on file and can be used to ship gifts, it just doesn't appear as an instruction of our preference to have gifts shipped.

I know that macys intention is for people to only use the address if they cannot attend the shower, but I think to my family I came across as one of those people who post on here "I am having a shower that's out of town - can I ask my guests to ship the gifts to my house so I don't have to travel with them?!?!" Which definitely does not go over well.

My mom talked to a bridal consultant at another macys store and she said that they get this same complaint ALL the time, so I just wanted to post this in case anyone else wants that blurb removed and is told it can't be done, now they will have a leg to stand on

• Oh.  Understood.  Sorry :)
    Anniversary

• Definitely no need to apologize. Everyone thinking it's totally normal is helping me not obsessively worry about anyone else who may have printed our registry before it was removed - hopefully they will just think nothing of it like all of you did!
  • I have had the worst all around experience with Macys Wedding Registry; which is unfortunate and unexpected from a brand like Macys. Something as simple as a change of address has sent their "efficient" system out of wack. 4 items (four!) on a registry bought by ONE person was unable to be fulfilled for a July wedding. After now 5 calls, 5 different representatives, stories and conclusions...4 months later...I am on hold 1hr 10mins and counting to speak to a supervisor who has refused to speak with me every time I have asked. The sole benefit of a registry to is help the bride and groom keep track of gifts in an efficient way that takes some of the pressure off of them and their guests. Macys informed me that all purchase information is confidential to the purchaser and cannot be shared with the ones who created the registry; again contradicting the benefits of the registry. I am disappointed at how inconsistent their messaging, customer service and follow through is. I am disappointed at how much effort I've had to put into chasing the for an answer rather than receiving updates as they occur. This process has challenged my view of Macys as a brand and any loyalty I may have had being a customer for over 25 years. At a minimum the purchaser should be refunded fully in the payment that it was made in, Macys giftcards will not suffice at this point. As a courtesy to me as a customer, Macys should offer something to compensate for the poor service, communication and stress added to the wedding experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards