Hawaii

Tipping help anyone??

jtolyjtoly member
First Comment
I'm concerned about under tipping someone so I'm hoping you ladies can help. I have a hair stylist who will also be doing my airbrush makeup at my hotel, our reverend who also acted like our WC, without additional costs, our ceremony photographer and our sunset photographer ( who were hired by our reverend), and a limo driver who will be taking us on a 2 hour tour of Oahu after the ceremony. Is there a standard amount I should give to these 5 people?
~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary

Re: Tipping help anyone??

• 15-20% is about standard. However, you only have to tip as little or as much as you think they deserve for their services. 
  • I was JUST going to post the same question.  Which of the following people do I actually tip:

Ceremony Site (a resort)
    Reception Site (a buyout of a restaurant, food tip already included)
    Wedding Coordinator
    Florist/Furniture Rental Company
    Hair/Makup Artist
    Photographer (flying in from the mainland)
  • I once heard, you do not have to tip anyone who owns the business, so if your photgrpaher works for themself, you do not have to tip more becasue they get everythign you are paying. If you go to a salon, you definilty need to tip becasue they are onlypaid a portion ofyour service. I believe I heard this on an Oprah sepcial . Not sure if it's right, but makes sense.
  • I agree with Allison.  Also, Ive never heard of tipping locations.  Ive been forced to tip my caterer and transportation.  My tip to my WC will be based soley on performance.  I also heard you are not expected to tip pastors.  My bartenders and waitresses all included tip in the invoice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • our WC adivsed hari and make-up and transportation are typically 15%.  All other vendors were at our discretion based on level of service proviided and not a set percentage.

We ended up tipping
    Officiant - $20
    Gutarist - $20
    DJ - $50
    Caterer - extra $500 on top of service charge
    WC - $250 (she went above and beyond)
    Photo - $100 stayed a little later
    Video - $100 stayed a little later

• You do not tip anyone who owns their own business. They should have their rates set at the amount they feel they deserve to be paid. You don't tip locations. You don't tip on top of a tip that's already been automatically added. You don't tip anyone who performs the wedding ceremony. In many cases this can be seen as really rude. The rest you tip based on their level of service. The US standard, including Hawaii, is 1520 for good service.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_tipping-help-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:57bc8037-ef31-426d-93f4-fee5d7449b66Post:2423ea2b-b085-409a-ba20-5e47ade0079a">Re:Tipping help anyone??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You do not tip anyone who owns their own business. They should have their rates set at the amount they feel they deserve to be paid. You don't tip locations. You don't tip on top of a tip that's already been automatically added. You don't tip anyone who performs the wedding ceremony. In many cases this can be seen as really rude. The rest you tip based on their level of service. The US standard, including Hawaii, is 1520 for good service.
    Posted by kimmykupcakes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>While I agree that tips aren't always necessary, I do think that many people DO tip for great service (such as people who own their own business, locations, etc.)  I'll probably play it my ear.  If someone goes above and beyond, I'd be happy to reward them.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm a server in my summers off from teaching.  Although I get an automatic 15% on my bill, I always appreciate and notice if I go the extra effort for someone and they add an extra gratuity.  Hopefully some of my wedding vendors go the extra mile for me, so I can reward them as well!  :)

</div>
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Thanks ladies! I was a waitress too so I know how important tips are to some people. My hair stylist/MUA owns her own business but Im thinking I would feel rude if I didn't tip her. I do tip my stylist at home and she owns her own business, I don't give her 20% though.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards