Moms and Maids

Bummed

I know that no one is going to care about my wedding as much as I do but it really does feel like I'm alone in this. 

My wedding is still a few months away but even as it gets closer I don't see it changing. I went and bought my wedding dress this week...by myself. That just seems so odd to me and so not like the freakin shows on TV! Hah.

My FMIL hasn't mentioned a word to me about the wedding. She doesn't approve so I'm not actually expecting much there. I see her almost every day because my FI lives with his parents. My mother just sent me a text and asked what day my wedding was again. I really feel like my mom should know this...right? She also hasn't seen my engagement ring or tried to visit me. Lunch, dinner...something? My brother just got married and they were very involved with their wedding. My MOH is out of state so that alone makes it hard but when I try to talk about wedding things she is busy.

I'm obviously excited to get married! So is my FI but I'm trying not to talk his ear off about wedding things all the time. It would just be nice to have someone other than him(although he is wonderful and doesn't mind a bit).

I feel like a lonely whiny loser.

Re: Bummed

• I'm sorry that it doesn't seem like people are excited for you.

Sadly, not everyone is going to care about it as much as you do, and some people just aren't into weddings.  And some people, like your mom, may just not be good about remembering dates.  If she hasn't tried to see you, maybe you need to be the one to go see her and show her your ring. 

As for your FMIL, if she already doesn't approve of the marriage, for whatever reason, I agree that it's best not to expect much from her.  When it comes to your MOH, ask her for a time when she can talk at length and save your wedding talk for then.  If she states at that time that she is busy, then just say to her, "MOH, I know you're busy, but I would like to talk to you. You led me to believe you would have the time now, so I really feel bummed at hearing yet again that you're 'too busy' to talk."  Don't bring up your wedding initially-just let her know that you'd like to talk to her in general.  Work your way into the wedding talk rather than diving in.
  • mealee said:
    I know that no one is going to care about my wedding as much as I do but it really does feel like I'm alone in this. 

My wedding is still a few months away but even as it gets closer I don't see it changing. I went and bought my wedding dress this week...by myself. That just seems so odd to me and so not like the freakin shows on TV! Hah.

My FMIL hasn't mentioned a word to me about the wedding. She doesn't approve so I'm not actually expecting much there. I see her almost every day because my FI lives with his parents. My mother just sent me a text and asked what day my wedding was again. I really feel like my mom should know this...right? She also hasn't seen my engagement ring or tried to visit me. Lunch, dinner...something? My brother just got married and they were very involved with their wedding. My MOH is out of state so that alone makes it hard but when I try to talk about wedding things she is busy.

I'm obviously excited to get married! So is my FI but I'm trying not to talk his ear off about wedding things all the time. It would just be nice to have someone other than him(although he is wonderful and doesn't mind a bit).

I feel like a lonely whiny loser.
    I'm sorry and you are right that does kind of sting when your Mom, who was very involved with your brother's wedding, isn't showing the same enthusiasm about yours.

But the one person who you shouldn't worry about talking their ear off regarding wedding stuff is your FI because he is the one you are marrying and it is his wedding to.  So you are not alone in this.  He is your partner in not only wedding planning but in life so talk to him about this as much as you want.  I mean, I do suggest having like one day a week where wedding talk is off limits just so you can catch up with each other on normal every day stuff, but it you want opinions or you just need to vent your FI is the perfect person for that.

Also, these boards are a great solution!  We love wedding talk and giving advice and opinions and such so vent/ask away!

But if I were you I would try talking to your Mom and telling her how her not showing any interest over your wedding is affecting you.  This is your Mom and you should be able to have this conversation with her.

• I just wonder how long you and FI have been together and how long has been your engagement?  It's possible that they feel you are rushing things and don't know how to talk to you about it.  That's just a guess.  It could also be that your mom is burned out from your brother's wedding.

But we love wedding here, so find a board you are comfortable with and post away!  We can help you get your fill of wedding talk.

• Gab about your wedding to us!  We'll listen ^_^

I'm sorry to hear that your own mother needed to confirm the date.  That stings.  

Olive might be on to something here: maybe it's burn out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards