Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Breaking out 1.5 week before wedding.

I've always had awful skin... My acne seriously started when I was a kid (6 years old). There has never been a day that I remembered where I didn't have at least 2 or 3 blemishes. 

Anyways... Right now it's FLARING like crazy - due to stress I am assuming and well now I know I have completely dried out my skin as well.
I don't know how to calm it down, I know I won't have clear skin on the wedding - it's just not possible for me but I'd like it to be as clear as possible.
I can't even really try anything new since it's so close... 

Anything I could do to try and help it out without putting more stuff on it?
Ice, drink more water, etc? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Breaking out 1.5 week before wedding.

• jynxiie said:
    I've always had awful skin... My acne seriously started when I was a kid (6 years old). There has never been a day that I remembered where I didn't have at least 2 or 3 blemishes. 

Anyways... Right now it's FLARING like crazy - due to stress I am assuming and well now I know I have completely dried out my skin as well.
    I don't know how to calm it down, I know I won't have clear skin on the wedding - it's just not possible for me but I'd like it to be as clear as possible.
    I can't even really try anything new since it's so close... 

Anything I could do to try and help it out without putting more stuff on it?
    Ice, drink more water, etc? 
    MORE WATER, and be sure to be moisturizing! I also put benzoyl peroxide on the site of a breakout (which always is horrible around my period) it helps dry out the area and get rid of the acne. I understand that you don't want to try anything new, but if you were going to I'd suggest it. 

something like this (click), but I usually just get the CVS or walgreens brand. It really does help, especially if you have a week and a half to get your skin to calm down, and not just a few days. 

• I have struggled with acne most of my life as well.  I have it controled fairly well with oral medication and topical creams, but I will get an occasional breakout from time to time and this is what I do.  Spot treat each blemish with a masque (my favorite is the Glam Glow supermud in the white container) for about 15 minutes or until dry, and then rinse off.  I would go ahead and do that now since you are a week out from the wedding to give everything time to come to the surface (gross, I know) and start flattening out. You can get samples of the Glam Glow masque from Sephora for free,but if you don't have one close by an AWESOME one from the drugstore is the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. I think it's like $5. 

Most important, drink lots of water!  And if you can cut back on the processed foods for this week.  I think you will see a differenc in doing those steps as well.  Good Luck!

• edited October 2014
    I am so sorry your dealing with this girl. I actually have concerns about this too. One thing I found that actually helped me was adjusting my diet trial and error and working with my primary care doctor. I was actually able to find out a specific type of food  I ate a lot of makes me break out and were actually making me not as healthy as I thought overall. Maybe see if eliminating one group or type of food. Some that examples of foods that most likely cause break-outs are, Dairy, Gluten, Soy etc and see if by eliminating them one at a time lessons your breakouts. Of course talk to your doctor before you start changing your diet so your not missing any nutrients. See if he or she feels it is a good idea for you to do and also to decide which foods he or she thinks you should try to eliminate first. I know for right now you are on a time crunch so can't adjust your diet now, but use gentle cleansers. I wouldn't wear make-up for the next few days to let your skin breath and use whatever prescriptions your doctor suggest. I know there are some make-up companies like clinque that make cover-up/ spot treatment make-up that helps great with coverage and soothes the redness from the blemishes. Sorry girl I am sure no matter what you will look beautiful.:)
  • I'm getting married Saturday and I have had problems with my skin my whole life. I thought I had it under control by not touching my face, drinking tons of water and green tea and sticking to my prescriptions from my derm. I got a bad cystic pimple above my lip now four days from my wedding. I feel your pain. I've been using warm compresses and benzoyl peroxide to draw it out but I'm starting to panic. To dry out whiteheads, I usually use Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. Take away: Drink water, stick to a simple plan of cleansing, lightly moisturizing and spot treat the big guys.
  • Moisturizer and don't over wash your face! Those were the biggies when I had an acne problem (I had a pretty bad acne problem for a long time). Stay hydrated and get a good night's sleep. You can also put a towel on the pillow you sleep on or change your pillow case every other day, that really helped me too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lots of water, and honestly I would recommend ditching whatever cleanser you are currently using, it may be the culprit for your breakout as a lot of cleansers, especially the ones marketed for acne prone skin, dry you out like crazy, which causes your skin to overcompensate with extra oil.

Instead of your cleanser, take a quarter sized amount of baking soda, mix with a little water to make a paste, and use it to scrub your face.  It will not mess with your skin, it will not cause a reaction.  It will exfoliate beautifully though, and do a wonderful job of cleansing your skin WITHOUT drying it out.  You can add honey to this mix for extra moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties, without risking irritating your skin.

Afterwards, I recommend coconut oil as a moisturizer.  It sinks into your skin WITHOUT clogging your pores.  It's wonderful for moisturizing, which should help soothe your skin and calm down the acne. 

By removing the products that may be irritating your skin and instead using gentle ingredients, you should see some improvements.  Baking soda and coconut oil are always my go-to fix when my face breaks out, and they're always very effective.  
  • Not just drink more water, but drink SO MUCH WATER, ALL DAY LONG. Like crap tons of water.

Also, juice cleanse. If you can handle it, doing a greens heavy, low sugar juice cleanse for 2 or 3 days clears up my skin instantly. No matter what, even if its hormonal acne. If you can't stand only drinking juice for days, you can supplement the juice with really simple salads (just leaves and a tiny bit of olive oil and vinegar, or a vinagrette). Also, it has to be fresh juice, with no additives.

I would also avoid all dairy and citrus (except for a small amount of orange or lemon in your juice cleanse).

I will be on my period on my wedding, or at least the days prior (SRSLY??), and that's always when my skin looks the worst, so I'm going to be preemptive by doing a juice cleanse the Monday-Wednesday before.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards