Snarky Brides

My wedding cards were stolen so give me money

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/newlyweds-robbed-of-thousands-of-dollars-in-gifts-on-wedding-day-1.2041087

I came across this article today about a couple who had the misfortune of having monetary gifts at the wedding stolen. So a relative set up a GoFundMe campaign to raise them $50,000 to pay for bills etc. It sucks to have that happen to you...it really does. But I'm not paying for the wedding of a bunch of strangers. If you need the money people give you at your wedding to pay for your wedding then you couldn't afford it.

Re: My wedding cards were stolen so give me money

• When my boss got married 8 years ago, their gifts were in their pickup while they were at the hotel for their wedding night.  Some jerkoff stole their truck and their gifts.  They eventually got back the truck (totalled), no gifts though.  People can definitely be huge jerks!
  • Ugh I saw that this morning.

You know who I would feel bad for if my wedding cards were stolen?

The guests who gave generous gifts that are now gone. 
    Exactly.

And EXCUSE ME, but $50k!?!?!?!  Gifts were stolen and they want fifty thousand dollars? How the fuck do they know the value of the gifts were $50k?  Guess what, my gifts totaled roughly about one-fifth of my wedding budget.  Fuck, I should have claimed my gifts were stolen in hopes of recouping my full costs.  Assholes. Ooooo this burns me up.  

• I've never given actual cash for a wedding, I write a check.  That way, if something happens, I can just cancel that check and write a new one!  

This is beyond tacky though,  Asking for help with bills?  Don't plan a wedding you can't afford.

• Yup, saw this in the paper this morning. I certainly feel bad for them, but a GoFundMe is a bit way too much. I'm really curious about how they came up with the estimate for how much they lost...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yup, saw this in the paper this morning. I certainly feel bad for them, but a GoFundMe is a bit way too much. I'm really curious about how they came up with the estimate for how much they lost...
    They used the "cover you plate" rule, duh! 
  • Taaaaackyyyyyyy......
  • jacques27 said:
    I don't know if they are going based on what they lost.  There's an additional comment from the brother that they are hoping to reach their target of 30,000 (despite him setting the goal at 50,000) and he'll take it down when they reach.  There's no way they had 30,000 in those cards, so basically they are looking to profit and pay off their entire wedding that they couldn't afford in the first place since the gofundme site basically says they need this money to pay off their caterer, photographer, etc.  That just infuriates me - if they couldn't afford the wedding without these gifts, they shouldn't have had it. 

ETA:  Ok, this really bothers me more than I thought.  This is posted under the "emergencies" section of gofundme.  In two days they've raised $7,395.  Meanwhile, in the same category are two families who lost their homes to a fire and have absolutely nothing left to their names and they are asking only for 4,000 and 5,000 and haven't yet reached that goal.  Housefire asking for 4,000 vs. Wedding you should have never thrown because you can't afford it asking for 50,000 - what is wrong with this picture?  Ugh.

STITB

This is just disgustingly wrong, but I think I've taken away the right lesson from this situation:  If, god forbid, I should ever have something awful happen to my home/family/possessions, I need to start a go-fund-me and post pictures of puppies, babies, and definitely, no matter what the situation is, wear my wedding dress.  Maybe I'll put a stylized tear on my cheek while I duck-face.  I'll just make it very clear that my life is miserable, my manicure is ruined, and most importantly, ALL MY MAKE-UP is somehow gone, and now my husband won't love me the way I am.  Am I forgetting anything?  I want to make sure I rake in as much cash as possible.  What else pulls on people's sympathy strings?
  • Oooh...there is one lady in the emergency section whose husband left her and her brother is raising money so she can pay off her bills he stuck her with.  You'll definitely get more money if you make it clear that your husband left you because you couldn't get all dolled up for him now that your make-up is gone.  Oh, and try to break a limb while you're at it - casts get lots of sympathy.

(I feel sorry for *some* of these people, but crikey I hate gofundme.)
  • For the sake of humanity, I hope no one actually donates to that tacky campaign. Ugh. 
  • As a Canadian, I feel the need to apologize for this tackiness.  

@novella1186, they are up to 8 grand so far in 2 days.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• um, yeah- lol at $50k. Did you REALLY think that is how much was stolen?

I always write checks. If my friend's wedding cards got stolen, I would cancel the check and send them a new one. I don't deny it is crappy that they got stolen and I would feel terrible for the couple, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

OMG. What kind of idiot would donate to that?!!!! This is why I hate people. 

OMG. What kind of idiot would donate to that?!!!! This is why I hate people. 
    Hopefully it's only the guests who gifted checks, have since canceled them, and donated the same amount to the campaign instead of writing a new check. At least that's what I'm convincing myself to believe.

• adk19 said:
    Yup, saw this in the paper this morning. I certainly feel bad for them, but a GoFundMe is a bit way too much. I'm really curious about how they came up with the estimate for how much they lost...
    They used the "cover you plate" rule, duh! 

DUH! How could I have forgotten about that??

Oh yeah, because I try to block out shitty ideas like this. ARG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Looks like they are still getting donations, but maybe they've tapered off a little.

This whole thing still bugs me.  The most recent donation was for $100 with the comment "Nobody deserves this. My donation is to prove that there are more good people than bad in the world. Best of luck."  I don't see you giving $100 to the 82 year old man whose gofundme page is in the same "emergencies" section who had three men kick down his door, steal his hearing aids and TV and beat him with a brick.  But maybe some people do deserve that.  After all, it's not like he couldn't pay his caterer after his big party.
  • jacques27 said:
    Looks like they are still getting donations, but maybe they've tapered off a little.

This whole thing still bugs me.  The most recent donation was for $100 with the comment "Nobody deserves this. My donation is to prove that there are more good people than bad in the world. Best of luck."  I don't see you giving $100 to the 82 year old man whose gofundme page is in the same "emergencies" section who had three men kick down his door, steal his hearing aids and TV and beat him with a brick.  But maybe some people do deserve that.  After all, it's not like he couldn't pay his caterer after his big party.

SIB

Yeah, no kidding. Some people need to seriously adjust their perspective. A pretty princess got her gifts stolen. Yeah, that sucks. But compare that to some other super common problems, like little kids who don't even get to eat every day to no fault of their own. Where's their gofundme page? I mean I could go on and on, and your example of the elderly man is yet another person who deserves some help and some kindness. I would put the bride who wants her wedding paid for with tens of thousands of dollars from strangers because a few cards got stolen at the BOTTOM of the priority list. This disgusts me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards