Georgia-Savannah

Tybee Island Beach Wedding and Reception???

I am planning my wedding for next May on Tybee Island. We want the wedding on the beach (yes, barefoot and toes in the sand!) and we would like to have our reception outdoors, as close to the beach as possible. We want something affordable as we are paying for the wedding ourself. Also someplace that we can provide our own food/drinks/etc.... basically somewhere that we can rent the location and do everything else ourself! I looked at the Tybee Pier and Paviliion, but can't seem to get in touch with anyone about a price. Also I heard Tybee Trees was nice but can't find any information on it either... if anyone has any suggestions, please pass them on! Thanks so much!

Re: Tybee Island Beach Wedding and Reception???

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  I grew up on Tybee and still live nearby. 
    I would suggest you do your ceremony on the north end of the island.  It is a little more quiet down there and there are less people.  Look into having the reception at the Tybee Light Shrine Club.  You can use the inside facilities and the balcony.  You can bring your own food and entertainment.  If you want to offer alcohol, you have to use their bar services.  It really is a great price for the facility.  You can walk right up to the building from the beach and the public parking lot is right there. 
    I don't recomend Tybee Trees.  Some friends of ours got married there last year.  They are completely unorganized.  They are also having issues.  They have several law suits filed against them.  They lost their buisness license last year because they were promising things that they weren't allowed to do.  Their license says they can have no more than 50 people with out a special permit.  She wasn't filing the permits and having the weddings anyway.  Cops showed up to my friend's wedding because there were way more than 50 people there.  My friend was told that they had all the permits they needed but they did not. 
    They also aren't supposed to have amplified music, but there are DJ's there frequently. Just be carefull when you deal with them.  The lady will tell you anything you want to hear.  The property is also for sale, so you will want to be aware of that. 
    Check out Marlin Monroe's.  They have a great wedding/reception package that isn't very expensive.  One of the guys my H works with was married there this year.  They had planned on doing all of thier own food.  His MIL checked the place out and found it to be cheaper than getting all the food and doing the prepwork on their own. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Keshiam1Keshiam1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your helpful information! I guess that is why I haven't been able to find any information on Tybee Trees... very good to know! I appreciate it and I'll definitely be checking into Marlin Monroes Smile
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I can help.  Let me know if you have any other questions about Tybee. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married on Tybee in November, you have to call Chatham County  Parks and Public works 912-652-6780 for the Pavilion, it is $100 an hour to rent. 
    edited December 2011

If you rent the pavillion at the pier, you don't get the entire pavillion.  You get about half of it.  The bar, icecream stand, hot dog stand, public restrooms, picnic tables and walkway to the pier are all still open.  You are also required to pay for security.
    I don't usually recomend it for weddings because fishermen with coolers of dead fish and lookey loos sitting on picnic tables eating hot dogs just aren't my idea of a romantic evening.

• edited December 2011
    How is Marlin Monroes for a wedding? I haven't been in there to see what their place looks like.
    Sandi Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Marlin's is great for a small wedding.  I wouldn't do more than 50.  The decor is cute and you won't have to do a lot of your own decorations.  The food is very good and the service is great. 
  • edited December 2011
    Is it a good place for a wedding or just a reception?
    edited December 2011
    They do weddings out on the beach in front of the restaurant.  It is a pretty area to do them.  The area is less busy than other parts of the beach, so you won't have as many uninvited people standing around.  There is also a grassy area at the resort where I have seen people have their ceremonies.  Those are also very nice.  It is definitely worth looking into if you are interested. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, I am waiting for a call back from them.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Ocean Plaza Beach resort in one month.  They have a pp for reception and ceremony and that is taking a lot of the stress of planning a destination wedding away from me!
    Good luck.  I am using Pro Image 360 for photography, Publix on Whitemarsh for bakery, Skippers for florist, and a friend as a DJ...we are still paying well over $15,000 for a wedding of 80 people

• edited December 2011
    I looked at Marlin Monroes and it was very nice for a small wedding. However, we are getting married in October and since it is technically the off season, we are going with another restaurant that is not charging us for the use of their space. It won't be completely private (using their dining room) but I think it will suit our needs..and definitely our budget! They also told me they do cakes now, for $3 a slice, but I think we may go with cupcakes since I kind of want to do it myself. I will let you know as our plans progress!
    edited December 2011
    Just out of curiosity, can I ask which restaurant you went with? 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, we are using North Beach Grill. I am talking to George who is very nice. Going there for dinner tonight since my fiance has not tasted the food there yet.
    Sandi
    edited December 2011
    The food at NBG is great.  I love George, too.  He's a great guy. 
  • edited December 2011
    well, my fiance did not like the crab cakes! So we looked around a little more and now we are having our dinner afterwards at the Grapevine on Wilmington Island. A very different vibe and a little more "us"...but the fish taco at NBG was great!
  • acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love North Beach Grill!  The food is good, but the atmosphere and staff are what I love the most!

If you need a photographer, check out Christa Harder Photography (www.christaharder.com).  Her work is awesome and her prices are very affordable!
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing my wedding on Tybee Island in March. We are working with Tybee Island Weddings  http://www.tybeeislandweddings.com . They have been really helpful in helping us figure out everything that we need!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi Sandy. I am planning to have my wedding reception at North Beach Bar and Grill as well. I haven't spoken to George Spriggs yet. My fiance and I are planning to go down there to try out the food first next month. Did George say if they have a private room for wedding receptions and if they decorate?
  • We received some quotes from Tybee Island Weddings. They have some nice packages. We are planning to use them for our wedding. Just trying to narrow down a reception area.
  • The do not have a private room.  The entire restaurant is basically a screened in porch with an outdoor deck.  When you have a reception there, you either rent the porch area, the deck or the entire restaurant.  You really do need to go there and see it before you book it.  
  • Thank you so much for your feedback on NBBG! We are now looking at the Guard House and The Shrine Club. I received pricing on the Guard House. It really is a great deal. the only drawback is that they don't allow sternos. We would have to rent electric heating plates for the food. We plan on having a lot of food so I'm not sure if this will be a good option or not. Contacting the Shrine Club today.
  • Between the two, I would do the shrine club.  You get far more space for the money.  
  • Did anybody get prices for the shrine club? I'm still waiting to get an email back from them
  • I know it's a long shot but... Any suggestions for Jekyll Island locations on driftwood beach?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards