Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cocktail Hour for Clambake

FH and I want to have a casual clambake reception.  We found a great caterer so for dinner we are planning a clambake - they will offer lobster, a chicken dish, a beef dish, clams & mussels, and a variety of sides.

I am not sure what to do for cocktail hour though - my family is Italian so are used to heavy, heavy cocktail hours.  Would it be ok to just do several passed apps (I was thinking crabcakes & sliders and a few others), a cheese station and some kind of veggie station?  Would it be weird to have a hot food station as well?  I am sure there will be plenty of food but I am used to cocktail hours with like 10 stations and passed apps!

Thanks!

Re: Cocktail Hour for Clambake

• FH and I want to have a casual clambake reception.  We found a great caterer so for dinner we are planning a clambake - they will offer lobster, a chicken dish, a beef dish, clams & mussels, and a variety of sides.

I am not sure what to do for cocktail hour though - my family is Italian so are used to heavy, heavy cocktail hours.  Would it be ok to just do several passed apps (I was thinking crabcakes & sliders and a few others), a cheese station and some kind of veggie station?  Would it be weird to have a hot food station as well?  I am sure there will be plenty of food but I am used to cocktail hours with like 10 stations and passed apps!

Thanks!

Works for me. Sounds great.
  • What you're describing sounds perfectly fine. That's what cocktail hour has been like at the majority of the weddings I have attended. For example, we did two stations (hot - meatballs; cold - all different kinds of seasonal fruit) as well as 3 passed apps (2 meat, 1 veggie) plus a special station with mini plates of a slider with smoke gouda mac and cheese.

For yours, I like the idea of crabcakes, as they go with the clambake concept well. Try to have one passed vegetarian app as well, and then maybe one or two meat ones (for those who aren't into seafood). That and the cheese and veggie stations you mentioned would be perfect.
  • I also agree that what you are planning sounds perfectly fine.

• Sounds delicious! The main thing is to have enough food and to serve something at cocktail hour. I like the idea of the cheese station & veggie station and passed apps. I don't think you need a hot station but if you have the budget and want to do it, great!
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards