New Jersey

Small wedding & budget

I am need of assistance to plan my wedding. I have been with my fiancee for over 4 years. We have 3 children together and just want to get married. I want a small intimate wedding since we have a small budget of $5000. He wants a great reception with not keeping in mind the budget. Most places I find have a $100 per person. I feel that is a bit much for a wedding that will include 55-60 people. Am I being unreasonable? The stress of the planning makes me just want to get married at the courthouse and call it a day...However I have been waiting for this day all my life and want it to be memorable.

Signed, 

~frustrated

Re: Small wedding & budget

• If you can find an affordable, non traditional venue and find a way to provide your own tables and chairs, there are food caterers that are way less than $100 per person. However, these DIY weddings can be very time consuming. With your guest size, you have the perfect amount for B&B or restaurant venue, which are usually less than $100 pp and are less DIY. 
  • love0208love0208 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2014
    HI!! Congratulations!!  This place was referred to me by my cousin, she used them for her wedding and again for her birthday party, so she was obviously very happy with them.  Their prices seem very reasonable and they work with a couple of banquet rooms.  Here is the link,http://www.tlcatering.com/catering-services/weddings/

I personally didn't book with them, I went another route, but based on my experience with them as a guest they were good.

If I think of anywhere else I will let you know!!  Also remember, call all venues even the ones you think you can't afford, you never know what the venue is willing to do.  For example, when you call do not ask them how much is it per plate, just say, this is my budget, this is my guest count, are you able to help me?  (Of course if you are not doing that already!!)  Some venues may be willing to work with you if you are flexible on your day or time of the year...

Just be diligent and you will definitely find a place!  Good luck!!
  • Thank you for the advice ladies! Every day I am sifting through ideas and contacting restaurants. I appreciate the suggestions as well and will reach out to them.
  • Month, day and time can play a big part.  If you are flexible, you usually can save more money.  Consider having your wedding in an "off" month.  We planned for November because that's when we noticed the rates started to drop.  Forget about Sept/Oct if you want to save money.

What you be open to Friday or Sunday night?  What about a daytime wedding....maybe brunch or lunch?  Again, chances are you'll see considerable price differences.  

What part of NJ are you looking in?  You said restaurants.....I presume you are willing to have the celebration at one and are not solely looking at reception halls?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards