Chit Chat

Speaking of kid/baby online presence...

I read a statistic on a USAToday Twitter graphic that 37 percent of babies have a social media account before they turn 1. The source is a Gerber.com "Millennial Moms" survey of 1,001 moms ages 18-34.  It's only the third tweet down currently on their wall, so you can look if you want.

Also, 83 percent of moms post a baby photo from the delivery room, and 14 percent post those photos within an hour of delivery.

I don't know that I believe the first statistic about social media accounts.  I'd be curious to see what the survey looked like and how that question was asked.  I have a lot of mom friends in that age bracket with young kids, and none of them have made social media accounts for their children.  I know it happens, so maybe I just have normal friends?

As for the 83 percent, I definitely believe that!  The 14 percent seems about right.

Re: Speaking of kid/baby online presence...

• While my nephew doesn't "have a social media account" at 15 months, my sister's might as well be his.

But my three dogs have their own Facebook profiles, so who am I to talk?  I'd rather my nephew had his own and my sister keep her identity!  That would be my plan.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I have quite a few friends with children, and only one of them (that I know of) has a FB account for her daughter.
  • I have a lot of friends with children, and only 1 has a facebook page for her son. I think it's fucking weird though, and not appropriate.

• I don't like when my friends make accounts for their children.  What a terrible way to teach them about internet privacy.  Those pictures and posts are there for life.  But then again, I think I'm attributing too much common sense to some people.  

• None of my friends have made facebook accounts for their kids (thank-god!) but even then I think some of them could post less pictures/details about kids. Some of them aren't even 1 and there are already hundreds of pictures of them online. I'd like to be able to teach my kids about internet privacy and the important of carefully crafting your online identity and giving them the choice as to what they would like that presence to look like when they are old enough rather than doing all that for them before they can even talk.

STFU Parents has multiple blog posts with parents who post naked pictures of their kids, talk about things that will absolutely be embarrassing when they are older and I think that's pretty shitty. That will be there forever - when you kid starts dating, when they look for a job, when they apply for college.

• None of my friends have made facebook accounts for their kids (thank-god!) but even then I think some of them could post less pictures/details about kids. Some of them aren't even 1 and there are already hundreds of pictures of them online. I'd like to be able to teach my kids about internet privacy and the important of carefully crafting your online identity and giving them the choice as to what they would like that presence to look like when they are old enough rather than doing all that for them before they can even talk.

STFU Parents has multiple blog posts with parents who post naked pictures of their kids, talk about things that will absolutely be embarrassing when they are older and I think that's pretty shitty. That will be there forever - when you kid starts dating, when they look for a job, when they apply for college.
    Ugh, I hate this.  My mom never took a single picture of me or any of my siblings naked.  She has one or two tub pictures, but only of us in swimsuits.  Mom said she hated knowing that people could look through photo albums at my grandparents and see naked pics of her as a baby.

Also, what you said about privacy is a really good point.  How do you teach a kid about online safety when you have posted a million photos of them?  I will probably post pictures of my kids on Facebook, but I will do so carefully, not a lot, and with strict privacy settings.  That's how I do it normally with photos of myself as well.
  • Everything has to be online nowadays, if people post their every single meal why not photos of their kid growing every second? I don't condone it, I think it's silly and innapropriate. I thank my sister for not being one of those with my nephew. She'll rarely post pictures of him anywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of my friends has an account for her kid who is in elementary school. They treat it and post on it like she's a celebrity and has "fans." It's so stupid, and I'm so embarrassed for her that she thinks this is a good idea. It's also 100% public. Dumb.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • None of my friends have accounts just for their kids, yet. They do post at least 5 pictures of their kid every day. So basically the same thing. 
    Anniversary

• When my goddaughter was born, my friends stupid (now ex) husband put all kinds of pictures up from the delivery room. That fucking moron did not think anything of it when he uploaded a picture of her inked feet while she was laying on the little table.

Yeah, she didn't have a diaper on and it was like HELLO THIS IS THE BABY'S GENDER GOOD MORNING INTERNET.

The fuck, man? CREATIVE CROPPING. CROP PICTURES. CROP THEM.

I do most of the internetting between FI and I so I'll be the one uploading pictures. I really hope I don't lose my mental capacity and become one of those people who constantly blows up everyone's feed with Baby X's morning deuce, etc.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited October 2014
    Wow interesting. I would never create a facebook account for my child. I would post pictures on my own account that was private for only friends to see but certainly wouldn't want their information out there. If your child is to little can't walk, feed themselves, talk, take care of themselves,make their own daily choices etc they should not have their own social media account. Not until they are in their teens and have shown to be mature, responsible, etc. Then would think about letting them have some sort of parental monitored social media account.
  • My cousin created one for her kid on Facebook a few years ago when he was about 5 or 6.  Yeah, young.  I'm told that she set it up by not allowing him to see the newsfeed but 1) I'm sure that he could probably undo the setting and 2) he's just too young for it period.
  • YEAH NO. I don't know anyone who has a Facebook set up for their kids, but I do have a couple of people who post about their kid CONSTANTLY (and a few who post about their nieces/nephews so much that I'm not 100% certain they ARE nieces/nephews). 

There's no way in hell I'm letting myself do that. I'll go completely netless before I do that shit.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • beethery said:
    When my goddaughter was born, my friends stupid (now ex) husband put all kinds of pictures up from the delivery room. That fucking moron did not think anything of it when he uploaded a picture of her inked feet while she was laying on the little table.

Yeah, she didn't have a diaper on and it was like HELLO THIS IS THE BABY'S GENDER GOOD MORNING INTERNET.

The fuck, man? CREATIVE CROPPING. CROP PICTURES. CROP THEM.

I do most of the internetting between FI and I so I'll be the one uploading pictures. I really hope I don't lose my mental capacity and become one of those people who constantly blows up everyone's feed with Baby X's morning deuce, etc.
    I have a theory that if you don't share a lot of photos/update your status five times a day already, you probably won't be that way with a kid.

I update my status a couple times a month.  I post photos about once every other week, and even then it's usually only two or three.  I expect I'll be similar with kids.

Now, if you're the type to over share a shot of every meal you eat, and three selfies a day, you will probably over share with your kids as well.

Just my theory.
  • DH have had discussions re: creating a FB profile for our potential kids. He likes that it encourages them to stay in touch with their friends from younger years. I do kind of like that. Not that it was around then, but I do think it would be nice to have had my elementary school friends on FB. So we will likely be one of those parents. But we'll see I guess.

I'm unsure if I'll be a photo happy parent. Definitely not with the naked pics as those make me uncomfortable. Even now, I take a lot of photos that I don't post on social media and have just to have. So I imagine it'll be similar.
  • I agree, I agree its not a good idea to put tons of photos or stories of your kids online. I have many friends with kids; but I don't know of any that have a special Facebook account for their kids. Some though put way too many photos of their kids online. I think the family photos are nice (lots of pumpkin and apple picking ones currently, which are kind of nice) or an occasional photo of the kids but more than once or twice a month seems excessive to me. 

My husband doesn't even like his own photos on Facebook so I definitely won't be posting more than 1-2 pictures of our baby a year on Facebook. I certainly won't post one in the delivery room - nobody looks good minutes after having a baby and babies generally take a bit of time to look cuter than right when they're born. That seems to be such a personal time to me and the photos aren't that flattering anyway - why post them?
  • sunset30 said:
    I agree, I agree its not a good idea to put tons of photos or stories of your kids online. I have many friends with kids; but I don't know of any that have a special Facebook account for their kids. Some though put way too many photos of their kids online. I think the family photos are nice (lots of pumpkin and apple picking ones currently, which are kind of nice) or an occasional photo of the kids but more than once or twice a month seems excessive to me. 

My husband doesn't even like his own photos on Facebook so I definitely won't be posting more than 1-2 pictures of our baby a year on Facebook. I certainly won't post one in the delivery room - nobody looks good minutes after having a baby and babies generally take a bit of time to look cuter than right when they're born. That seems to be such a personal time to me and the photos aren't that flattering anyway - why post them?
    This is my feeling. I do not want a picture of me with my lovely (not) red splotchy face with no makeup, hair ratty, sweaty and gross for everyone to see. They can wait a few hours (or a few days!) for a nice picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards