Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Rehearsal Dinner/Reception Toasts

Our rehearsal dinner is this Saturday and our wedding is next Saturday. So it's pretty well crunch time right now. Can't believe it's so close! So my fiance would like to say a few words at both the rehearsal dinner and the reception to our guests, which I think is wonderful! However, he is a man of few words when it comes to speaking to crowds of people because he gets nervous and kind of clams up. Poor thing lol. I just want to help him relax a bit and have fun with it. Any tips on easy speech giving for the groom? It's much appreciated! Thank you! :)

Re: Rehearsal Dinner/Reception Toasts

• Options
    Our rehearsal dinner is this Saturday and our wedding is next Saturday. So it's pretty well crunch time right now. Can't believe it's so close! So my fiance would like to say a few words at both the rehearsal dinner and the reception to our guests, which I think is wonderful! However, he is a man of few words when it comes to speaking to crowds of people because he gets nervous and kind of clams up. Poor thing lol. I just want to help him relax a bit and have fun with it. Any tips on easy speech giving for the groom? It's much appreciated! Thank you! :)
    He doesn't need to speak at either and certainly shouldn't say more than a few words of thanks. And doing that doesn't exempt him (and you!) from individually thanking your guests for attending your wedding.

Speeches should not be given at weddings in general. You may be confusing this with the tradition of toasts, which are typically given to the bride and groom at the reception by other people, which may or may not include the father of the bride, the best man, and/or the maid of honor. It is not appropriate for a groom to toast at his own reception.
  • Options
    Stay out of it.  If you start coaching him on what to do, it puts the pressure on.  Since he indicated he wants to say a few words, and assuming you/someone else didn't convince him to do it, he wants to and he can handle it.  Let him do his thing.
  • Options
    Gotcha! Thanks, guys!! I appreciate it. Maybe you're right. Hey, I'm no wedding expert lol. Not by far. Anyway, I love the tickle kitty. That made me smile. He just wasn't sure of what to do and I didn't know what to tell him.
  • Options
    I've been to a lot of weddings, and I've never actually seen the B or G speak at the wedding. If he would like to say something, he can do it at the rehearsal. But he doesn't have to. If he's nervous about doing it, then just scrap it. 
  • Options
    ^^^^True!!
  • Options
    I think it's more appropriate to give a speech at the rehearsal dinner to thank your family and wedding party for being part of your day.  I haven't seen very many speeches at the wedding by the B&G, the last one I was at they did thank everyone but it was very short and sweet.  It's entirely possible that I've been to more weddings with speeches by the B&G but honestly, I was dancing and drinking and having a good time so I didn't notice.  I would just do a speech at the rehearsal dinner, but not the wedding.  And if only you give the speech on behalf of the two of you, that's perfectly acceptable. Don't force him into an uncomfortable position. 

"<insert fiance's name here> and I would like to thank everyone for being here....."
  • Options
    Yeah! And that's probably the extent of what will be said at the reception anyway. I don't mind giving it on behalf of the both of us. I'm not even about to force him to do something he doesn't want to do, but I think that he wants to say a few words at the rehearsal. The only advice I gave him was, "You could just wing it!" and he gave me that wide-eyed deer in headlights look that screamed "ohh crap ohh crap." Lol.
  • Options
    Why does your FI want to say a few words when he is so obviously freaked out by it?  Just tell him "Sweetie, I think it is great that you want to say a few words, but if you aren't comfortable with it you really don't have to do it."

• Options
    I think he just kind of gets nervous about standing up in front of people and talking is all. I wouldn't mind taking one of the team if it really did bother him though. Anyway, you guys give great advice. Ohhh, puppy!!!! Cute little guy lol.
  • Options
    DH said a few words at our reception along the lines of "Thank you all so much for being here. Some of you have travelled across the country and some from right down the street to be here, and having you all in one room celebrating with us is amazing. Now lets's dance and have a great time!" We also did table visits during dinner and thanked everyone individually, we just wanted to say a few words after dinner and the father/daughter and mother/son dances to get everyone on the dance floor. :-) It's very popular in our circle to say a few words, but totally not necessary!
  • Options
    Very cool. If it's anything, it'll be something like that. Short and sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards