Christian Weddings

Marrying a Mormon Man

My fiancé comes from a very devout Mormon family.  He didn't serve on a mission but his 3 brothers & father did.  His sisters are very involved in the church as well. They're all very sweet people & I'm looking forward to welcoming them as my family.   

My family is a mix of both Catholicism & basic Christianity.  My parents were not thrilled about me dating a Mormon man but have grown to respect & care for him.  My family has attended a non-denominational church in our home town for several generations & besides it being a beautiful farm town whiteboard church it's where I grew up so my fiancé has agreed to start attending with me & get married there when we do next November so that we're both comfortable there in the congregation.  He will still occasionally attend the Mormon church himself. 

We are expecting a child together in January & have agreed that our son will attend both churches so that he can decide for himself when he's older.  My concern is how do I show his family that is so deeply in rooted in the Mormon church that us getting married in my families church isn't a bad thing? Yes we aren't going to be sealed in the Temple & I have no interest in converting after attending meetings with him several times & talking to the Elders.  I'm happy & secure in my faith but I want my future husband to not feel that our marriage is somehow not as good.  His stepmother has told him that she'll pray for us to find the correct solution to this & one of his sisters won't be attending our wedding because it's not in the Mormon church.

Re: Marrying a Mormon Man

• I hope you're still here!  I am Catholic, so I can offer some perspective here since Catholics and Mormons have somewhat similar views regarding the validity of a marriage outside of their church.

There really isn't much you can do here if their minds are made up.  Continue to live and worship as you do and hope that the example of your life helps them to see that your marriage is still holy. 

Congrats on your baby, by the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards