Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

I had my hair and makeup trial today...

And I absolutely hated both. It's not even close to what I was looking for. The hair is too flat and the makeup is boring and not at all flattering.

I hate it so much that I want to get a new stylist, but I feel like I can't. This girl has been cutting and coloring my hair for years and I really don't want to hurt her feelings. I've also already paid her, so I'd feel awful asking for a refund.

What I wanted vs what I got:

Re: I had my hair and makeup trial today...

• I am so sorry you didn't get the results you wanted, I can see clearly that what you wanted was not what you got, but to be sincere, you are very pretty.

Now, if it was me, it was my wedding, I would ask for half of the money back, and tell her that it was not what you were looking for, and that you already found someone else, that way she will get "something" and you can look for a better stylist that can fulfill your needs.!!!
    That's very sweet; thank you.

I'm just so bummed about it. Maybe I am asking for something that just doesn't work with my hair/face? I dont know. It just looks awful. It doesn't look professionally done at all.
  • Did you tell her you liked it when it was over?  If not, you need to be really honest with her.  I know it is hard because she is your regular stylist, but you can open with that.  Say that you looked at the pictures when you went home and you are just disappointed and you would like it to be more ___ and ____.  The hairstyle has zero lift, and that shouldn't be hard for a stylist to pull off.  And the make up was much more subdued, the pic you posted is more dramatic and bold, where as yours is more neutral. 

OR find someone else and break it gently to your hair person. 
  • Did you tell her you liked it when it was over?  If not, you need to be really honest with her.  I know it is hard because she is your regular stylist, but you can open with that.  Say that you looked at the pictures when you went home and you are just disappointed and you would like it to be more ___ and ____.  The hairstyle has zero lift, and that shouldn't be hard for a stylist to pull off.  And the make up was much more subdued, the pic you posted is more dramatic and bold, where as yours is more neutral. 

OR find someone else and break it gently to your hair person. 
    I did tell her I like it because I am awkward and have no backbone sometimes. I'm just going to have to figure out how to tell her that I actually don't.
  • Don't stay with her just because you feel obligated. PP's have good ideas of how to break the news. You don't want to look back on your wedding pictures and be sad you didn't get the hairstyle you were dreaming of!
  • Coming from someone who does hair, I would rather someone be honest with me, than feel obligated to use my services. I think what you got is a start in the right direction, it just needs tweaking. I'm not sure why she didn't tease your hair at the crown to give it lift, pin it so it would stay and then use the braid to cover the pins, but clearly it isn't what you're looking for. Just explain to her that you don't think she's a great fit for the style you're going for; she should be able to understand.
  • I actually don't think the hair is that far off. You need some more volume on the top but that's easily fixable. Do you have enough hair? Maybe you should talk to her about some extensions for the day-of to give yourself some more thickness/volume/ length to get the look you want?

As far as the makeup goes, I think she didn't go heavy enough on the eyes. One big thing- you need eyelashes if you expect your eyes to look anything like the model's (the model is def. wearing lashes). Also, it doesn't look like she was heavy enough on the eyeliner and also did not put any shimmer shadow in the corner of your eye like the model. I think if you are honest with the tweaks you want, you will get the look you want!

• i think your makeup is lovely... maybe have another trial and see if it can be tweaked to your liking.. 
  • That is like, my worst nightmare, since my regular stylist is doing my hair and makeup for my wedding. 

I agree I don't think it's super far off in some respects. Braided styles especially take up a lot of hair so if you don't have enough, that may be something you need to address with some kind of extension. I agree about teasing on top -- that would go a long way, you don't want to see your part the way you could in the picture. And, the false eyelashes are kind of a must with that look. 

What I would do is call her or go back over to the salon and say, "Hey, I know you worked hard on my hair and makeup at the trial, but I realized in reviewing the pictures that it isn't quite what I want. I want both the hair and makeup to be bolder and more like the pictures I showed you. What do you think we can do so that I can feel comfortable about it looking perfect on my wedding day?"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards