Wedding Reception Forum

no food at cocktail 1/2 hour?

cambryncambryn member
First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
edited October 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hi there!
So, we're having our ceremony at 415-430 ish  then the reception is steps away.
then from 430-5 we'll be taking some photos (we will have taken most photos before- leaving only group photos of the joined family and bride and groom.)

This leaves a 30ish minute lapse between ceremony and food.

Given the time of day, is it necessary to have appetizers for that half hour? 

And if so, I need help figuring those out- as our food is Thanksgiving food (turkey, stuffing, potatoes etc.) and all gluten and dairy free (due to groom's celiac's)

Affordable easy appetizers that are gluten/dairy free and thanksgiving themed... I'm at a bit of a loss! 

ETA: "I think we will put out a few dips (hummus and artichoke dip)  with veggies and chips to tithe them over. Maybe some toasted pumpkin seeds as well (definitely served with a spoon- no handies.)" Thank you!

Re: no food at cocktail 1/2 hour?

• Gotta go with the veggie tray, maybe hummus and pita chips, definitely set out small bowls of mixed nuts, raisins, pretzels.  Anything people can put their hands in and will hold them over for a few minutes.  It is very likely that your planned 30 minute-ish can turn into an hour once people start requesting certain groupings for photos, and no, you won't be watching the clock.
  • I would say if you can find room in your budget to provide something, it would be to your benefit. The reason why it would be to your benefit is because I'm assuming your bar will be open during cocktail hour. It's a good idea to have some food to help fill people's stomach so it's not just booze. If they have jus booze, they will get drunker faster & that could be bad later on in the evening.
  • It doesn't have to be elaborate, but you should have something for your guests to snack on.  Nuts, cheese, pretzels would all be okay.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I agree with PPs. You need to host something. Just do veggies and cheese. 
  • I agree with Lauderdale it may end up being more than 30 minutes, I think you should provide something for your guests even if its simply snacks and light refreshments. 
  • I would do a simple veggie and cheese tray.   Yes I know our FI is dairy free, but he will not be eating the food anyway since you will be doing pictures.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Gotta go with the veggie tray, maybe hummus and pita chips, definitely set out small bowls of mixed nuts, raisins, pretzels.  Anything people can put their hands in and will hold them over for a few minutes.  It is very likely that your planned 30 minute-ish can turn into an hour once people start requesting certain groupings for photos, and no, you won't be watching the clock.
    I strongly disagree with putting out small bowls of things "people can put their hands in."  I'd never eat anything like communal raisins.  And a bowl of raisins at a wedding?  This isn't second grade.

How about some nice passed appetizers?  If you're having Thanksgiving for dinner, you don't need Thanksgiving themed appetizers.  Keep it simple--antipasto skewers are generally well liked.  Bacon-wrapped anything goes over well when well executed.  Skewered shrimp.  Brie pops.  Etc.
  • Gotta go with the veggie tray, maybe hummus and pita chips, definitely set out small bowls of mixed nuts, raisins, pretzels.  Anything people can put their hands in and will hold them over for a few minutes.  It is very likely that your planned 30 minute-ish can turn into an hour once people start requesting certain groupings for photos, and no, you won't be watching the clock.
    I strongly disagree with putting out small bowls of things "people can put their hands in."  I'd never eat anything like communal raisins.  And a bowl of raisins at a wedding?  This isn't second grade.

How about some nice passed appetizers?  If you're having Thanksgiving for dinner, you don't need Thanksgiving themed appetizers.  Keep it simple--antipasto skewers are generally well liked.  Bacon-wrapped anything goes over well when well executed.  Skewered shrimp.  Brie pops.  Etc.
    Eh, I think this depends on the overall formality and vibe of your wedding. If it's a small, casual affair, I don't think it's a big problem to put out small bowls of stuff (although I would put little spoons in each one for scooping instead of expecting hands to go in). If the rest of it is fancy, or if you have a large number of guests, I would go with something skewered, as suggested above, both for hygiene and "classy factor."

Agree with PPs that you will need something. I would plan to put the various trays of apps on the actual tables if you still have food after the short cocktail hour--it won't go to waste that way.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Thank you, ladies! :)
    I think we will put out a few dips (hummus and artichoke dip)  with veggies and chips to tithe them over. Maybe some toasted pumpkin seeds as well (definitely served with a spoon- no handies.)

Appreciate the advice!
  • This weekend, I served spinach dip in a bread bowl with large chunks of bread surrounding the bread bowl.  The whole thing was less than $10.00 and was a huge hit.

• This weekend, I served spinach dip in a bread bowl with large chunks of bread surrounding the bread bowl.  The whole thing was less than $10.00 and was a huge hit.

Thank sounds delicious! If I didn't have so many celiac disease people there, I would totally do that! Omg, that sounds yum.
  • I agree with what others have mentioned.  Have something simple like veggies. 
  • Assuming dinner is served at 5 or 5:30, I personally would not be bothered if there were only drinks and no appetizers. However, it sounds like others here would expect them, so maybe it's best to be on the safe side and just serve some. 

Here are some appetizer ideas. It certainly could be self-serve or passed, just make certain there are plates!
    • Artichoke dip served with bread and/or corn chips.
    • Baked cheese with crackers and/or apple slices.
    • Herb roasted nuts.
    • Shrimp with sauce.
    • Herb roasted squash cubes. (I'd recommend something like butternut squash roasted with olive oil, salt, and rosemary.)
    • Raw veggies with a variety of dips (hummus, ranch, etc).
    • Roasted chickpeas. (Perhaps with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and a little cayenne.) 
  • cambryn said:

This weekend, I served spinach dip in a bread bowl with large chunks of bread surrounding the bread bowl.  The whole thing was less than $10.00 and was a huge hit.

Thank sounds delicious! If I didn't have so many celiac disease people there, I would totally do that! Omg, that sounds yum.
    I think the message here is that it doesn't cost much to provide something simple and you should do it. Not necessarily that you should serve exactly what she served.
    *********************************************************************************

• I was at a really bugdet friendly wedding at the beginning of the month and they just passed around single serve falvored pretzel bags.  It was simple and everyone was eating them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards