Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

how did you find your officiant?

2»

Re: how did you find your officiant?

• Options
    Our friend got ordaned and he LOVES the sound of his own voice. Boom. Officiant. 

• Options
    I actually found my JOP on wedding wire.  He's a sweet old man who is a town judge.  When I called to get a price quote, he said "whatever you feel comfortable with"  After meeting him, we knew we made the right decision.  He read for us, showed us his readings, and he told us how he has been marrying couples for 37 years, and he himself has been married for over 50 years.  He gave us sweet life advice and we knew he marries couples because he really does enjoy it.  If you do find a few JOPs, go talk to them in person.  Ask how long they have been marrying couples, their rate, and ask them to do a reading for you.  You will know right away if they are right for you.  
  • Options
    Going with one of our youth pastors here. He married my brother and SIL, and for as much as I love our lead pastor, he's rather stuffy and long winded during weddings. He's lovely, a lot of people love him and he enjoys it. But, I just go "OMG, shut the ever loving fuck up already! We aren't Catholic, why are you taking an hour?!?!?!" in my head entirely too often. Plus he knows he can't shut up, we went to schedule our date and he said "Go with Mark, you'll be rolling your eyes during your wedding otherwise."

Youth pastor is hilarious, makes every couple ecstatic and half start giggling, and service is at most 30 minutes, ours is 20.
  • Options

One of my fiance's best friends is actually serving as our officiant.  In Washington, D.C., people can get a sort of "officiant for a day" license - you (meaning my fiance and I, of course) pay D.C. like $50 and he fills out a form, and that way he can officiate the ceremony!  I really love it because we are having a mixed-faith religion (I'm Jewish and he's methodist), but we didn't really want to have a pastor and a rabbi.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards