Chit Chat
Options

Bathroom stuff (remodel not bodily)

So we are halfway done the bathroom remodel- I'll post some pics when it's done! We just installed this vanity (I've never done links so let me know if that doesn't work). The walls are going to be white wainscotting up to 4 feet, then a light tan paint from there to the ceiling. I'm thinking about this shower curtain, yes/ no? DH wants a blueish so feel free to link other ones you like instead.

What would you do for a bathmat? Chocolate brown? Do you like the ones that are like carpet, or the ones that are like memory foamy?

Would you do a curtain or just a mini blind?

Where do you put your toothbrush? I was using a cup kind but the moisure building up in the bottom was making the handle all moldy- I'm a messy brusher so my toothbrush gets put away soaking wet.

Any other suggestions are very welcome, as I don't have a design eye!

Re: Bathroom stuff (remodel not bodily)

• Options
    We have the memory foam bath mats, and I LOVE them. So much nicer to stand on. Just check the bottoms before you buy...make sure they're rubbery, so they won't go sliding across the floor.

We use a cup for our toothbrushes. It's very wide, though, so it doesn't collect a lot of water.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    I like mini blinds in a bathroom. Curtains don't look as nice when they're closed, and they'll be closed most of the time. And I prefer carpet-y bathmats. We got this kind off our registry and they're super fluffy soft. I think the shower curtain will work since you have enough white and a window - seems like it'll eat a lot of light so I wouldn't do it if your walls were all tan or you didn't have natural light.

I have an electric toothbrush, so it just sits in the charger. The bottom still gets wet and icky; I just wipe it off from time to time. I put a dixie cup over the top cuz I'm squicky about airborne toilet germs if anyone forgets to close the lid.

• Options
    I really like that curtain and I think you could easily go with chocolate brown for your mats.  The only thing I would ask is how big is the bathroom?  The curtain seems fairly dark and it might make the room feel smaller although the white wainscoting should help offset that a bit.

I have this curtain in my spare bathroom and love it....

Target Shower Curtain

I tend to try to pull a color from the other fabrics finishes in the room for the towels and bathmats.  For instance I pulled the lime green from the attached picture for the hand towels and vanity accessories and the slate blue for bathmats.

I second the memory foam mats - they are super comfortable. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    @lolo883 I do the same thing with my toothbrush. I always have every single toilet lid closed because flushing grosses me out with flying water and whatnot.

I might put the tooth brushes in that top drawer in a little "rectangle case".

Regarding the bath mat, I don't know why I'm suggesting this but a white or off white would look good I think - pick up the white wainscotting. I think it would help make the room feel bigger. I usually like the carpet ones, but maybe a memory foam one would be easier to keep clean.

But I'm not practical, at all.

Definitely blinds, you can add a light airy valence if you want decoration on the window.

image   image   image

• Options
    Try TJMaxx/Marshall's for shower curtains!  I got one there with varying tones of blue and cream, in a fun modern print (pic attached)

We just use regular fluffy carpet bath mats.  Again, got a set at Marshalls that matched our shower curtain.

I might just do a valance if you want to add some color, or nice sturdy blinds (or you could even do wood ones to match your vanity)

This is what we use, something like this (clicky) They are easier to clean!
  • Options
    I agree with @ShellD13 that the shower curtain may be a tad dark, depending on the size of the bathroom/lighting. 

But I do really like the vanity! 

• Options
    @lolo883 I do the same thing with my toothbrush. I always have every single toilet lid closed because flushing grosses me out with flying water and whatnot. Regarding the bath mat, I don't know why I'm suggesting this but a white or off white would look good I think - pick up the white wainscotting. I think it would help make the room feel bigger. I usually like the carpet ones, but maybe a memory foam one would be easier to keep clean. But I'm not practical, at all.
    We got a white one with grey border and it really does brighten up the room. We don't wear shoes in the house so it shouldn't get that dirty that quickly!

• Options
    I love the vanity you chose! As far as the bathmat, I honestly hate chocolate brown and blue together. I would go with an offwhite or sandy colored bathmat. As far as a toothbrush holder, this (click) because the cup holder I was using kept skeeving me out. The stand lets the toothbrush air dry and I'm much more apt to clean it off if I can see it starting to collect water.
  • Options

Thanks for all the good suggestions! I also close the lid because the thought of the spray drives me nuts. I hate when guests come over and leave it open!

The room is pretty darn small, standard 1950's bathroom size so I wouldn't call it cramped but more than 2 adults would have a tough time being in there together. We actually have a black shower curtain that we've used for years and we didn't feel like that made it appear any smaller. Maybe the window really helps and the brand new light fixture is really bright.

The off white bathmat seems like a really good idea to help brighten it up. cupcait I love that whole set!

• Options
    @jenna8984 I actually registered for the whole set for the wedding and got every piece from H's aunt (my favorite of his aunts). It's so pretty in my bathroom. We have a really small bathroom as well and did an off white on the top half of the walls and a chair rail in the same shade, and then did this pretty green color on the bottom half that matches a green in my shower curtain. I have this (clicky) as my shower curtain and I'm SO in love. All with oil rubbed bronze fixtures like the towel bars, mirror lighting, toilet paper holder, etc. I just need to get a shower curtain rod to match.
  • Options
    Love the vanity. (I have white wainscoting as well, love it.)
    Toothbrushes, I keep in a cupboard, laying in a small plastic storage basket lined with a paper towel so I can change it out regularly, because of the airborne flushing germs, which gross me out. Don't want my toothbrush out in the open.
    Like Sugargirl, I'm not practical at all, so I can't help with shower curtains/ bath mats. I have possibly the most impractical shower curtain in the world. (Not my house in pic, but identical shower curtain:)

(A huge moment of weakness in Anthropologie. I loved this shower curtain so much I kept it hanging by my bed for a week, just so I could look at it when I opened my eyes.)
    But I do prefer lighter colors in small spaces. And I dislike brown bath rugs. I always feel brown was chosen to hide hairs and dirt. I realize my taste is a little fluffier than most, but I love white in a bathroom. It gives me a clean feeling. No where for dirt to hide. 
    @ohannabelle - I love that curtain but H would not approve - too frilly for a shared space :-)  I guess I'll have to wait until he goes blind to search it out.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    this one is really cute and not as dark- what do you think?

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Oh, I second that! Practical, blue, but still light and airy looking. I love the champagne color!
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Ooohh I love it! Love the little shiny stripes.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I like this one SO much more than the first one you linked!
  • Options
    I love all your house projects!! 

I'm not a fan of the blue/brown color scheme. What if you went with blue and cream if FI loves the blue? 

Is there a fan in the bathroom? If so, you might be able to pull off a curtain, but you'd need to be careful it doesn't get moldy. If no fan, I'd definitely go with mini blinds.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I love all your house projects!! 

I'm not a fan of the blue/brown color scheme. What if you went with blue and cream if FI loves the blue? 

Is there a fan in the bathroom? If so, you might be able to pull off a curtain, but you'd need to be careful it doesn't get moldy. If no fan, I'd definitely go with mini blinds.

Thanks! I love them but hate paying for them...the kitchen is still half done because DH and FIL jump around on their projects hahah

I don't even like chocolate brown either, it just seemed to be the only color I was finding on blue shower curtains. But now I'm totally going with that second one I found with the cream color and ivory bathmat. There is an exhaust fan- another fun item we had to install. I think the mini blinds might look more updated and clean like PP have said.

• Options
    @ohannabelle‌ some of us may have gotten that shower curtain and used it to make actual curtains. They're in the little library or whatever room and make me very happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards