Chit Chat

WTF just happened?

So remember how I asked you guys for advice on interviewing someone? (PS thanks for that, I used a lot of the questions you suggested and especially stuck to the "behavioral interviewing" advice!) 

Well, I interviewed the candidate. And I'm still trying to figure out what fucking planet she came from. 

I think I had mentioned that her resume was a crazy rambling mess. It was in super tiny font, three pages long, and had all kinds of odd things that made no sense. She had clearly copy and pasted some things from job descriptions online because they were in a different font and said things like: "Ability to lift up to 25 lbs" in the section that talked about her duties in past jobs. What made me really angry, though, is that I found things on her resume that were flat-out false and dishonest. (Don't lie on your resumes, people. It's amazing what you can find on Google.) She had a section of accomplishments which included things like "able to use a comptuer" and high school honors (she graduated high school in the 90s. Time to let those go). Then she had a section titled "Awards" which was copy and pasted from "accomplishments." Literally said the exact same thing and did not list one single actual award. There was a long, long, long section of "memberships" which she admitted in the interview that she didn't actually have. She just listed them because she "could" be a member. 

In the interview, she hardly stopped talking and I don't even think she took a breath, but the things she was saying were totally scattered and made no sense. I asked why she applied for the job. She said she had no idea. Then she said "money." I asked what she liked about our company. She said she was interested in our robots. Um... we don't make robots, we don't HAVE robots, we have no involvement with robots whatsoever, and I have no idea where she would've gotten that from. She could not even answer direct questions. I asked her to tell me about a time she improved a business process; she dove into a 10-minute story which started with a fly bite and ended with calcium supplements and somewhere in the middle she went on and on about veterinarians. WTF? 

I also had a hard time believing most of what she said because of the dishonesty on her resume. And she kind of just seemed insane. We were interviewing her for a job involving statistical analyses and she wouldn't stop talking about teaching (had some experience teaching and is working on getting her teaching license in two different states). This company has nothing to do with teaching. She would never teach here. And yet she brought it up multiple, multiple times throughout the interview. (Her resume also had a ton of stuff about teaching k-12 which I found annoying because it's irrelevant to the position, this company, and our industry for that matter). 

The next day I get an EXTREMELY long e-mail from her to thank me for the interview, in which she rambled on and on-- once again-- about TEACHING and what a great contribution it is to the community. Went on to say she's a member in such-and-such societies and detailed their mission statements and what they stand for which was, again, irrelevant to the position. Then she said she was excited about the "two jobs" she interviewed for-- one in statistical analyses and the other in technical writing. Um.. there was only ONE job she was being interviewed for, and I have NO idea where she got the technical writing idea from. The whole thing was just so bizarre. And the robots comment is still baffling me. 

Needless to say, I told my boss she's a no-go. Ugh. Back to the drawing board. (Also, who the fuck let her past HR?!)  

Re: WTF just happened?

• Oy - That sounds like a doozy!  Glad the BDI interviewing will be useful in the future.
    Anniversary
  • Almost sounds like a prank...robots...I mean, really?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah that's just painful
  • This is like a scene from Third Rock From the Sun, in which an alien gathers random information for an impressive interview. 
    I'm going with the alien theory.
  • I seriously sat at my desk for probably a good 5 minutes just staring at the wall and thinking "what the fuck was that?" When I got the email from her, I did the same thing. 
  • I seriously sat at my desk for probably a good 5 minutes just staring at the wall and thinking "what the fuck was that?" When I got the email from her, I did the same thing. 
    No, but seriously - how did she even get an interview? Was she the only one who even applied?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yikes. I never would have even called her in for an interview. 
  • I mean, she's obviously BSC, but what almost confuses me more is how the fuck she got an interview?!?!?

You need to have a serious come to jesus talk with your HR folks. 
    *********************************************************************************

• She was such a clearly terrible applicant that I would contact HR to see if they put you in contact with the wrong person.

If they meant to send you to her, I would dig a little deeper to find out what made her "qualified" for the interview, and perhaps ask to received all applications moving forward.  Clearly if they think she was a good fit, they have a fucked up screening process.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    No, but seriously - how did she even get an interview? Was she the only one who even applied?
    Here's what really sucks: my boss set up the interview. Apparently HR let her resume through, and my boss did a bunch of phone interviews. She said crazy lady did a pretty good phone interview and seemed like she could have some potential, and everyone else who did phone interviews sucked and weren't even a possibility. Yikes. When I told her how crazy the interview went she said, "I know, and the scariest part is that she was by far the best phone interview. I guess we better keep looking." (Cuz she had also done an in-person interview with crazy lady right before me, and also realized that crazy lady is crazy). 
  •  . . . Seriously . . . The whole different fonts thing would be a done deal for me. This bothers me as I spend every morning and every night filling out job applications in search of a full time job.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wait, what?? How did she even get an interview with a such a shit-show of a resume? Sounds like a total and complete waste of your time.
    My thoughts
     . . . Seriously . . . The whole different fonts thing would be a done deal for me. This bothers me as I spend every morning and every night filling out job applications in search of a full time job.
    as well as this

Anniversary
  • This is hilarious. I mean not that it wasted your time but I really don't know if I would have been able to keep my cool. Once she said robots I would have said "Ok well thank you for coming, do you remember where the entrance is?"

• Wait, what?? How did she even get an interview with a such a shit-show of a resume? Sounds like a total and complete waste of your time.
    My thoughts
     . . . Seriously . . . The whole different fonts thing would be a done deal for me. This bothers me as I spend every morning and every night filling out job applications in search of a full time job.
    as well as this
    Yep. As soon as I looked through the resume I was super disappointed. For me, the answer was already no. But I tried to go in with an open mind and give her a chance since my boss seemed to think she had potential. 

When I was trying to find a full-time job after college, I worked my ass off on my resume and made sure that thing was IMMACULATE. Had career counselors proof-read it for me and everything. And still had a hard time finding a job for a while. The fact that she got an interview with that pathetic mess of a resume really irritated me. 
    My thoughts
    as well as this
    Yep. As soon as I looked through the resume I was super disappointed. For me, the answer was already no. But I tried to go in with an open mind and give her a chance since my boss seemed to think she had potential. 

When I was trying to find a full-time job after college, I worked my ass off on my resume and made sure that thing was IMMACULATE. Had career counselors proof-read it for me and everything. And still had a hard time finding a job for a while. The fact that she got an interview with that pathetic mess of a resume really irritated me. 
    I think you should offer to take recruitment off of your boss's plate since it's obviously not a strength of his/hers ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Good god. Your boss might be trolling you.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • And people like me struggle to even get the interview. What a world this is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I always wonder how people like that survive through life.  Like how do you make it through each day without Darwining yourself? 
    When FI and I see people do incredibly stupid things, we call it Darwinning. 
  • Your boss is totally trolling you. That has to be the only explanation!! 
  • Your boss is totally trolling you. That has to be the only explanation!! 
    I almost hope that's what it was. I always brag that I have the best boss cuz she's so good at what she does, and she's really intelligent and laid-back, I learn a lot from her, etc. But after this happened, I have to question anyone's judgement that had a hand in letting Miss Crazy through. 
    I think someone in HR must be pranking you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Was she the "improve your personal quality" lady?

LOL I was thinking the *same* thing!
    imageimage">
  • So remember how I asked you guys for advice on interviewing someone? (PS thanks for that, I used a lot of the questions you suggested and especially stuck to the "behavioral interviewing" advice!) 

Well, I interviewed the candidate. And I'm still trying to figure out what fucking planet she came from. 

I think I had mentioned that her resume was a crazy rambling mess. It was in super tiny font, three pages long, and had all kinds of odd things that made no sense. She had clearly copy and pasted some things from job descriptions online because they were in a different font and said things like: "Ability to lift up to 25 lbs" in the section that talked about her duties in past jobs. What made me really angry, though, is that I found things on her resume that were flat-out false and dishonest. (Don't lie on your resumes, people. It's amazing what you can find on Google.) She had a section of accomplishments which included things like "able to use a comptuer" and high school honors (she graduated high school in the 90s. Time to let those go). Then she had a section titled "Awards" which was copy and pasted from "accomplishments." Literally said the exact same thing and did not list one single actual award. There was a long, long, long section of "memberships" which she admitted in the interview that she didn't actually have. She just listed them because she "could" be a member. 

In the interview, she hardly stopped talking and I don't even think she took a breath, but the things she was saying were totally scattered and made no sense. I asked why she applied for the job. She said she had no idea. Then she said "money." I asked what she liked about our company. She said she was interested in our robots. Um... we don't make robots, we don't HAVE robots, we have no involvement with robots whatsoever, and I have no idea where she would've gotten that from. She could not even answer direct questions. I asked her to tell me about a time she improved a business process; she dove into a 10-minute story which started with a fly bite and ended with calcium supplements and somewhere in the middle she went on and on about veterinarians. WTF? 

I also had a hard time believing most of what she said because of the dishonesty on her resume. And she kind of just seemed insane. We were interviewing her for a job involving statistical analyses and she wouldn't stop talking about teaching (had some experience teaching and is working on getting her teaching license in two different states). This company has nothing to do with teaching. She would never teach here. And yet she brought it up multiple, multiple times throughout the interview. (Her resume also had a ton of stuff about teaching k-12 which I found annoying because it's irrelevant to the position, this company, and our industry for that matter). 

The next day I get an EXTREMELY long e-mail from her to thank me for the interview, in which she rambled on and on-- once again-- about TEACHING and what a great contribution it is to the community. Went on to say she's a member in such-and-such societies and detailed their mission statements and what they stand for which was, again, irrelevant to the position. Then she said she was excited about the "two jobs" she interviewed for-- one in statistical analyses and the other in technical writing. Um.. there was only ONE job she was being interviewed for, and I have NO idea where she got the technical writing idea from. The whole thing was just so bizarre. And the robots comment is still baffling me. 

Needless to say, I told my boss she's a no-go. Ugh. Back to the drawing board. (Also, who the fuck let her past HR?!)  
    I haven't even read the entire post because I can't stop laughing at the bolded.

• edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards