Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invitation Wording - HELP!!!

Stupid question, but I'll take any recommendations, advice or thoughts I can get. We're having the ceremony, cocktail hour and dinner all at the same place. Ceremony starts at 4:30, cocktails from 5-6, reception starts at 6...what is the "proper" way to word this on the invites?? So far I've come up with:

blah, blah, blah
ceremony starts at four-thirty in the afternoon 
at venue

Please join us for cocktails,
dinner and dancing
immediately following the ceremony

Does this make sense or sound ok? Or should it (can it) be worded differently?

Just wanted other people's thoughts! Thank you!

Re: Invitation Wording - HELP!!!

• Options
    I would just put "reception to follow" since theyre all in the same place. You don't have to get specific.
  • Options
    mischfmkr said:
    Stupid question, but I'll take any recommendations, advice or thoughts I can get. We're having the ceremony, cocktail hour and dinner all at the same place. Ceremony starts at 4:30, cocktails from 5-6, reception starts at 6...what is the "proper" way to word this on the invites?? So far I've come up with:

blah, blah, blah
    at venue

dinner and dancing

If your ceremony and reception are at the same place, your invitation should be for the ceremony, and put "reception to follow" in the lower right corner.

You could put more details on your wedding website if you want.

• Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    If you want proper invitation wording, you need to tell us who is hosting. Also, you could check out the invites and paper board; there are a lot of examples there.

• Options
    Ask yourself this question: Does it make any material difference to your guests if you say "Reception to follow" or "Please join us for cocktails, dinner and dancing immediately following the ceremony"

Personally, I don't think so. Either way I know there's a party after. And that's all I really care to know when I get a wedding invitation! 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    Ask yourself this question: Does it make any material difference to your guests if you say "Reception to follow" or "Please join us for cocktails, dinner and dancing immediately following the ceremony"

Personally, I don't think so. Either way I know there's a party after. And that's all I really care to know when I get a wedding invitation! 
    True.  And in this case, I believe that less is more.  Don't clutter your invite with unnecessary words.
  • Options
    mischfmkr said:

blah, blah, blah
    at venue

dinner and dancing

If your ceremony and reception are at the same place, your invitation should be for the ceremony, and put "reception to follow" in the lower right corner.

This is the first time I've heard of the lower right corner. Seems like many intimations, even very traditionally styled, are centered and "reception to follow" is just the bottom line. Would love to hear more if the lower right is most traditional/formal. 

Not sure my invite will be 100% formal (fiancé *hates* the written out "at half past two in the afternoon" deal) but am intrigued. 
  • Options
    @CMGragain always knows invite wording, but I'll take a stab too. She can correct me if I'm wrong.

(traditional wording, with the bride's parents hosting; you can change that to 'together with their families' or just your names)

Mr. and Mrs. mischfmkr's parents
    request the pleasure of your company*
    at the marriage of their daughter
    mischfmkr
    to
    FI
    (here, optionally, you can include FI's parents)
    on date
    at half past four o' clock in the afternoon
    at venue with address

Reception to follow

*I know this part is right; 'pleasure of your company' is used for a secular venue, it would be 'honour of your presence' for a church ceremony.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Mr. and Mrs.Bride's Parents
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. Fiance's Full Name
    Day, date of month
    Year (optional)
    at half after four o' clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow

It is not proper to describe the refreshments or entertainment at your reception, as if people might not attend unless they know what is being offered.  No "cocktails, dinner and dancing".
    The ONLY message in the lower LEFT hand corner might be "R.s.v.p."  Since most people mail out response cards with their invitations these days, this is usually not necessary.  I haven't seen it done in many years.
    If your parents are not hosting your wedding, this is NOT the proper wording for your invitation.  Let me know.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    graciegra said:
    mischfmkr said:

blah, blah, blah
    at venue

dinner and dancing

This is the first time I've heard of the lower right corner. Seems like many intimations, even very traditionally styled, are centered and "reception to follow" is just the bottom line. Would love to hear more if the lower right is most traditional/formal. 

Not sure my invite will be 100% formal (fiancé *hates* the written out "at half past two in the afternoon" deal) but am intrigued. 
    Good question. I don't know the tradition on it. But I've usually seen it smaller than the rest of the wording and in the right lower corner. I've also seen it on the bottom centered so I think either is correct. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards