Chit Chat

loro929loro929 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited October 2014 in Chit Chat
I have to admit I might not have the most refined taste in music. But, I really liked the new Taylor Swift CD. 
Especially the song "Blank Spaces". It's one of those CDs that makes me want to sing along to all of the songs. 
I may or may not have gotten some strange looks from co-workers as I try not to jam-out at my desk.

I do feel like this album has divided a line among Swift fans between her "old style" and this.
Has anyone else heard it yet? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 1989

• I heard some of the songs on my Hits 1 Sirius station yesterday and this morning.  Didn't pay enough attention to them but I heard Blank Spaces this morning and it sounded pretty good.

I was always a fan of her old stuff too, not sure why but I have always liked her.  I'll have to listen to the new one more

• I haven't heard 1989 yet, but I do like to rock out to Shake It Off when it comes on the radio.

Also, I may or may not have had the "Speak Now" album on repeat for weeks when I was going through a bad breakup a few years ago. Deeeaaarrrr Johhhnnnnnnn.....  
    Anniversary

• She really does have some great break-up tunes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tay-Tay is one of my guilty pleasures. I've always liked her, and I love Shake it Off. I'm not really an album-purchaser (no, I don't download either! I just listen to Pandora or regular radio) but I'll have to check it out!

• She's one of my guilty pleasures too.  I haven't listened to the whole album, but I'm not a huge fan of Shake it Off or Out of the Woods.  They seem so repetitive or something, like the songwriting has declined.  Let's be honest, she never had an amazing voice, but her songs were so relatable and you could tell she was a great songwriter.  Now it just seems like she's trying to fit in with all the other pop stars.

I'll probably check out the rest of the album though.  It could just be those 2 I don't really care for.
  • I agree that Shake it Off is definitely poppy.
    I just really can't stop playing Blank Spaces and there is another good song "clean", which was a colloboration with Imogen Heap that I liked alot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh I just adore Taylor Swift. I haven't heard the new album yet but I plan on checking it out this weekend.
  • I cannot listen to "Shake it Off" one more time!  I hear it WAAY too much during my commute to/from work.  I actually had to switch to talk radio in the morning in large part because the radio stations seem to play the same 3 songs over and over and over again
  • ssautter said:
    I cannot listen to "Shake it Off" one more time!  I hear it WAAY too much during my commute to/from work.  I actually had to switch to talk radio in the morning in large part because the radio stations seem to play the same 3 songs over and over and over again
    I don't listen to the radio so often, but this summer I rented a car and it was the only form of driving entertainment that I had. I was SO surprised not only at the lack of variety on the local stations but that there was a lack of variety with EVERY station. Between the 3 or 4 stations I would flip back and forth between, it was the SAME 5 songs - sometimes simultaneously. It was really rediculous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loro929 said:
    ssautter said:
    I cannot listen to "Shake it Off" one more time!  I hear it WAAY too much during my commute to/from work.  I actually had to switch to talk radio in the morning in large part because the radio stations seem to play the same 3 songs over and over and over again
    I don't listen to the radio so often, but this summer I rented a car and it was the only form of driving entertainment that I had. I was SO surprised not only at the lack of variety on the local stations but that there was a lack of variety with EVERY station. Between the 3 or 4 stations I would flip back and forth between, it was the SAME 5 songs - sometimes simultaneously. It was really rediculous.

It's definitely ridiculous.  My coworker and I carpool to work, and one time we noticed that "Shake It Off" was playing at the same time on 2 radio stations - literally at the same point in the song. 
    We kept just flipping between the 2 stations.

Also, my car is old and my radio doesn't seem to catch a lot of channels.  By the time I get close to work, it seems like I have 3 options: news radio; Christian gospel; and Baltimore underground rap.  I'm Jewish, so the Christian gospel music wasn't my first choice.  And after less than 2 minutes of listening to Baltimore underground rap, the host said: "after you hear the next time I'm about to say, you will DEFINITELY crash your car!"  So that was the end of the rap station.  So basically, it's all news radio for 20 minutes each way during my commute haha

• ssautter said:
    Yep, "Shake it Off" is my new "Happy", the waaaaaay overplayed catchy tune that ends up stuck in my head and leaving me ragey ;) . I'm so not a TS fan, at all, but I can't blame her for my disdain, I guess. It's the radio stations fault for the over saturation (...and her publish? Definitely did NOT need to see her on Ellen, then ET, then The Voice, all in a 4 hour time span). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Taylor is also my guilty pleasure. I haven't really heard the new album yet though. Planning on doing some recon this weekend.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just downloaded it yesterday. Listened to the full thing today. She has been heading towards more poppy music anyway, the transition was bound to happen eventually. I think she picked some good people to work with to create this album. I like it. 
  • As a country fan, I'm happy that her new album pop and not released to country radio. Something about her always irked me. Most of her music sounds so juvenile and a lot of her songs sounded like high school writing assignments to me. "Okay class, now we're going to use colors to describe emotions". 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lyndausvi said:
    1989 was a great year. My parents moved to Japan leaving me back in Wilmington NC.  I was parting like a rock star, going to school. I spent my summer visiting the parents and brothers traveling throughout Hong Kong and Thailand.  Christmas was spent with the family in Hawaii.

Oh wait, you meant the CD.   Can't help you there.
    UNC-Wilmington? My sister started undergrad there, with her major in partying like a rock star ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I like Taylor Swift. I liked her old stuff and I like her new stuff.

I used to try to be all music snobby but now I'm just like fuck it. I like blaring Taylor Swift and singing along to Katy Perry. And yes I still punk music. I like a lot of different music. That's a good thing. If I only ever ate one kind of food people would think I'm nuts. I'm not gonna just listen to one kind of music. Sometimes it's classical, sometimes it's punk, sometimes it's T.Swift singing about being 22 and how we are never ever getting back together...ever.
  • edited October 2014
    As a country fan, I'm happy that her new album pop and not released to country radio. Something about her always irked me. Most of her music sounds so juvenile and a lot of her songs sounded like high school writing assignments to me. "Okay class, now we're going to use colors to describe emotions". 
    Well she did start writing her first album when she was 15...

• As a country fan, I'm happy that her new album pop and not released to country radio. Something about her always irked me. Most of her music sounds so juvenile and a lot of her songs sounded like high school writing assignments to me. "Okay class, now we're going to use colors to describe emotions". 
    Well she did start writing her first album when she was 15...
    Oh yeah. I know and it makes sense. I acknowledge that she has talent and is one of the few who actually writes her own shit, it's just not up my personal alley, 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I like Taylor Swift. I liked her old stuff and I like her new stuff.

I used to try to be all music snobby but now I'm just like fuck it. I like blaring Taylor Swift and singing along to Katy Perry. And yes I still punk music. I like a lot of different music. That's a good thing. If I only ever ate one kind of food people would think I'm nuts. I'm not gonna just listen to one kind of music. Sometimes it's classical, sometimes it's punk, sometimes it's T.Swift singing about being 22 and how we are never ever getting back together...ever.
    This!! So much this.

Some of the best memories I have were from when I just got my driver's license, early-ish 2000s. I would drive around with my friends blasting New Found Glory and singing (screaming) as loud as we can. The lyrics of those songs really hit some nerves with the high-school crowd.

I would be lying if 10+ years later I told you didn't just buy a ticket to see them in concert in a few weeks ( I CANT FREAKING WAIT!!!)... Some things just never get old.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loro929 said:
    I like Taylor Swift. I liked her old stuff and I like her new stuff.

This!! So much this.

Some of the best memories I have were from when I just got my driver's license, early-ish 2000s. I would drive around with my friends blasting New Found Glory and singing (screaming) as loud as we can. The lyrics of those songs really hit some nerves with the high-school crowd.

I would be lying if 10+ years later I told you didn't just buy a ticket to see them in concert in a few weeks ( I CANT FREAKING WAIT!!!)... Some things just never get old.

One of my BFFs from college just went to see NFG a couple of months ago I believe and I was SUPER jealous. Have fun at the concert!!!
  • lyndausvi said:
    1989 was a great year. My parents moved to Japan leaving me back in Wilmington NC.  I was parting like a rock star, going to school. I spent my summer visiting the parents and brothers traveling throughout Hong Kong and Thailand.  Christmas was spent with the family in Hawaii.

Oh wait, you meant the CD.   Can't help you there.
    UNC-Wilmington? My sister started undergrad there, with her major in partying like a rock star ;)
    I started undergrad there too.  Noticed I said started   :-p

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • She annoys me.  For a long time, it seemed like she was dating every guy in hollywood just to write break up songs about them.  And her rompers look stupid to me haha.

That said, Shake It Off is now in my head lol.

• I will admit, although I don't really care for Shake it Off, FI and I do enjoy making up random lyrics to it.

And the bakers' gonna bake bake bake bake bake...

• I'm only slightly ashamed of how loud I get in my car to "you coulda been gettin' down to THIS. SICK. BEAT." It's a completely ridiculous and stupid line but hey, whatever.

• lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited October 2014

I freely admit that I love Taylor Swift. I'm a bit of a music snob, but I have a huge soft spot for stuff that I can sing at the top of my lungs in the car lol I liked her country stuff and I like her pop stuff.

1989 is the only album I'm listening to right now. No shame!!!

ETA: Shake it Off and Out of the Woods are catchy, but I think I like "Style" best so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Love Taylor, love the album!  But does anyone else thing that Shake It Off sounds nothing like the rest of the tracks?  I just thought it was a weird choice for her first single when I don't think it's really representative of the style of her music (now) overall.  

My favorites are "Blank Spaces", "I Know Places" and "Clean".  Can't get enough T-Swift!
  • I've only heard "Shake It Off" thus far but I wanted to chime in to say that I legitimately enjoy Taylor Swift, like, as a human being. Her music is fine - catchy, competent, pleasant - but I think she's had a really interesting career and her ability to simultaneously play this character of a slightly naive but approachable "best friend" kinda pop star yet clearly be a shrewd businesswoman under all that cookie-baking and Instagraming is fascinating to me. Also her clothes are to die for and she's beautiful, obviously. 

If I had to trade lives with a celebrity, it would totally be someone like Taylor Swift and not someone like Beyonce.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will admit, although I don't really care for Shake it Off, FI and I do enjoy making up random lyrics to it.

And the bakers' gonna bake bake bake bake bake...

I really thought she was saying this at first!! haha
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards