Chit Chat

Went to Social Security this morning. It was super easy!

Obviously I'm not sure how it works in other states. But in NY, it took me only a few minutes. Someone gave me a tip to show up early, and I'm glad I did. Their offices open at 9, so I got there at 8:15. There were already 4 people on line. By 9:05, the place was packed and there was no parking. 
I had filled out the form beforehand and had everything with me. Once they called my number, I was done in about 3 minutes. I was told that they keep a copy of your marriage license, but they gave it back to me. 

How's everyone else's morning going today?

Re: Went to Social Security this morning. It was super easy!

• Show-off. ;-)

Totally kidding. I'm glad it went so smoothly! 

• Woot! Glad to see someone else had an easy, breezy experience, too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had an easy experience here in NJ too.  I was in and out in 10 mins.  I was getting the stink eye from what felt like the entire waiting room when I was leaving.  There were people waiting there for hours.  

I was told they keep your marriage license too but I got mine back.  I went on a Tuesday afternoon and Saturday morning I received my new card in the mail.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh. I am dreading going to the social security office. I really need to just take a morning off of work and go. Glad to hear that you were in and out super fast though!

• Good! I'm glad someone got it easy over there!

I just remembered, I want to see a picture of you in your wedding dress and your momma in her fabulous dress that we all had a fun discussion about!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    Good! I'm glad someone got it easy over there!

I just remembered, I want to see a picture of you in your wedding dress and your momma in her fabulous dress that we all had a fun discussion about!
    Perfect timing! The photographer just sent me more pictures last night! I'll do a separate post. 
  • Awesome! I didn't have too much of a hard time with SS either. I was in and out in an hour and the same with the DMV. It feels so strange having a new last name doesn't it?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Awesome! I didn't have too much of a hard time with SS either. I was in and out in an hour and the same with the DMV. It feels so strange having a new last name doesn't it?
    yes! It's totally weird getting used to a new last name. I keep signing the old one on everything. 
  • I took an entire day off work because I was warned you could be stuck there four hours (without coffee!).
    I showed up at 9:15 on a Friday morning and was out by 10. Walked down the street to the DMV express and had my new license by 10:30am.
    Incredible!

Also, SS only needed my drivers license and my marriage license. Their application indicates they need far more records than that, so that's the downside of them trying to be generic and fulfill all kinds of things with one application. 

yes! It's totally weird getting used to a new last name. I keep signing the old one on everything. 
    I haven't gotten around to changing my credit cards yet, so I'm still signing my old name. I have the old license with the paper stapled to it in case I get carded. :-p

• I'm not looking forward to the DMV. I know they're going to make me retake my picture. And I'm so sad to not have my cute, adorable 21 year old picture anymore (even though the picture is now 13 years old). 
  • I'm not looking forward to the DMV. I know they're going to make me retake my picture. And I'm so sad to not have my cute, adorable 21 year old picture anymore (even though the picture is now 13 years old). 
    I'm not looking forward to it either, because I'm going to have to retake my picture as well. Mine is from when I was 16 so it's 12 years old now and looks NOTHING like me. H gives me crap all the time for my picture.
  • I had it really easy here in IL too. I was there maybe 10 minutes total. Luckily, my mom used to work at SS so she told me all I needed was my DL and my marriage certificate (plus that they would not keep the certificate).

DMV would have been easy too, except I renewed my DL at the same time. Of course this year I was flagged to take the full length written test. That was fun. Then I had another long wait while I updated my car title and registration to my new name. I was still out in an hour and a half though.

I love my new last name! I am glad everything is changed over so I don't have to stop and think about which name I need to sign/type/say.
    I'm not looking forward to it either, because I'm going to have to retake my picture as well. Mine is from when I was 16 so it's 12 years old now and looks NOTHING like me. H gives me crap all the time for my picture.
    I've had my picture since 16 too, and I really don't want to change it. Also, my license doesn't expire until I'm 65, so even less motivation to go get a new picture/license.

I'm glad to hear the social security card situation doesn't seem to be too difficult! I am going to wait until the new year to do it because I didn't want to have to rush to get a new passport before our honeymoon.
  • I'm jealous you all still have your pictures from when you were 16. I had to get a new one when I renewed at 29. My 16 pic was so cute and had such great "I did it!" memories attached.
  • Mine was easy too. I didn't show up very early, but only waited about 35 minutes total.

I just got back from the DMV (I waited to get my new SSC in before I went) and I didn't even need my new SSC, just the marriage certificate. If I had known that I would have gone to the DMV last week! Oh well.
  • I found changing my name with SSA very easy...was in and out within 10 minutes...now PennDOT on the other hand is a whole other story!!!!
  • How the heck long would they have let ya'll keep your pictures if you hadn't changed your name?? I think Michigan's limit is 5 years, because I'm on my 3rd new picture since I was 16. 

• SS was easy. DMV was a huge pain.

Credit cards were the worst, though. They all came with weird names on them - strange combos of my maiden name, my new name, and one without my first name. I had to get THREE different ATM cards from Bank of America.
  • Good to know it went smoothly! I've been procrastinating because I have tickets for Christmas booked in my maiden name, and I'll be presenting at a conference next week for which I registered in my old name..the timing is just awk : /
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards