Not Engaged Yet

Why do I suuuuuck at birthdays? (vent)

Hi ladies - this may be a bit of a post and run since this evening's festivities are fast approaching. Just really needed to complain to someone before I melt down into a functionless puddle.

So, today is my dad's birthday and I knew I'd be the one to organize the family celebration. In years past, my dad has been notorious for being a wee bit picky and entitled - he's gotten MUCH better about it in recent history, but I continue to feel the expectation that awesome things happen, and I know he'd love to get some nice surprises. Add that to the fact that I am pretty much the worst at picking out gifts for people, and this situation causes me a lot of stress.

Well, I started today by making a German chocolate cake, my dad's favorite. One of the layers fell COMPLETELY apart when I tried to get it out of the pan. It is now sitting in a pile on the stove. No big deal; I have the other layer left with some pretty incredible icing on it, so I'm going to let myself count that as one item checked off.

Gifts: I'm embarrassed. I found a nice card that my dad will love, but as far as stuff to open, I got him gift cards to some restaurants he likes and will pick up his favorite chocolate before I see him. That's IT. I've got all kinds of excuses - basically being broke while waiting to start my new job, saving up to get him some nicer stuff for Christmas in a few months (I already know one thing I'll be ordering once I have the money), planning our trip to Sicily that should coincide with his next birthday (THAT is something I know I can plan some fun surprises for; I'm a good traveler). But I just feel so bad that basically that's all he'll get to open today - my one younger brother, T, is getting even less work hours than I am right now, so he was pretty much able to buy a card and chip in a little bit on the gift cards. My other brother S...that is the next issue.

So, S just started his new job last week. On Tuesday when I saw him, I asked if he was going to be working tonight. He told me maybe, but that he could try to get off. I asked him to let me know either way and never heard back from him. So I texted him today to ask when we could pick him up (his license is suspended right now and he lives about an hour away). He wrote back and was like, "Um, I have to work until 8. Did you not consider that while you were planning Dad's birthday?" Um, I already asked him to tell me if he was able to get off TWO DAYS AGO! Plus, birthdays are the same every year, so it's not like he didn't know we'd be doing something tonight. And if he'd told me he couldn't get off, I'm sure we could have arranged to celebrate on Sunday, but at this point I don't want to move everything and tell my dad, "No, sorry, you're going to be alone the actual day of your birthday because we have to change plans last minute for S's sake."

I texted S back just to say I was sorry he wouldn't be able to come tonight and that I was sure we'd all get together soon. He wrote this back: "I would have been able to make it if you'd reminded me. Mom told me you were in charge of planning. You're a shitty planner if you don't make sure your own family member can make it." S has always been a brat when he doesn't get his own way, so I'm trying not to take that to heart, but OUCH. I did what I could to make sure he'd be there, and I'm frustrated that he's acting like I didn't make a reasonable effort to include him.

Finally, I did some research and found a restaurant I thought my dad would like. It's kind of far away, but he loves trying new places and we often travel to that area to try new food together. So I called to ask what time he wanted to eat tonight so I could plan on picking him up, and he was basically like, "I don't feel like driving today. Can we go someplace closer?" I made some suggestions that he didn't really like. Eventually we settled on a local place we've been before - decent food, but nothing too exciting.

So that's it. That's ALL I've got for tonight. A tried and true restaurant, half a German chocolate cake, some gift cards, and 2 out of 3 kids. I just feel super shitty right now. My dad and I have always had a weird relationship, but it's been on the mend lately and I'm just sad that this birthday doesn't seem to reflect that.

ERG. Thanks for reading and letting me get that out. At least after tonight it'll be over for a little while - then just gotta get through the holidays.

Re: Why do I suuuuuck at birthdays? (vent)

• @TwoDimes, thank you! I needed to hear that. <3 I don't think he'll act ungrateful - he's become MUCH better about this over the past couple of years. I think I'm honestly most upset about my brother being a jerk, but I should know not to expect anything else from him at this point.

My dad and I just started talking about this pretty recently, so I don't think I've mentioned it before on the boards. His father immigrated here from Sicily (I think in the 1930's?), and he's only been there once before I was born (I've never been). So far we've just brainstormed a few things, so any recommendations you have would be awesome. :) I'm hoping we'll be able to go next year around this time.

• None of this sounds like you suck at birthdays.

My birthday this year involved getting a watch from my BF, two phonecalls (I have 7 siblings), and me making my own dinner. Do you want to plan mine next year please?

Also, your brother's comment was terrible and out of place. Sounds like it will be more fun without him there.

• Ugh, family dynamics can be ROUGH.  But it sounds like you did absolutely everything you needed to do to make this a good night for your Dad!  Don't worry about S...he's probably frustrated with himself for forgetting and is taking it out on you.

Also, if it is a rough night, that crumbly German chocolate cake on your stove will be amazing mixed in with the icing and eaten with a spoon.  And wine.
  • I agree with @twodimes, you shouldn't feel shitty AT ALL. I suck way worse at birthdays. I've never made anyone a cake (well I've made FI cupcakes I think before) and I usually just get my parents a card since I never know what the hell to get them or I get them one gift and that's it. We dont get to do dinners since we don't live in the same state. Now I feel like a shitty daughter lol.

You obviously care a lot about making his day special and I think you have done what you can. Yuor brother S is being a jerk.

• @AlPacina, thank you. I hate to say it, but I was a lot more relaxed knowing S wouldn't be there. He has his own issues (i.e., untreated bipolar), and I don't expect much from him in the way of warm fuzzies, but comments like that still sting. After I made myself stop focusing on the text, it was actually a nice evening.

Also, 7 siblings?? Dang, girl! That sounds fun and chaotic all at once.

@futuremrshistorian, family dynamics are truly the pits. After all my stressing, though, it actually turned out to be a really nice evening. Now I can sit down and enjoy my cake crumbles and alcohol with a smile on my face, lol. :)

@lavendarfields13, dooooon't feel like a shitty daughter! OMG. Haha, I think my whole family has been super spoiled, because my mom is amaze-balls at doing birthday things - I wish I had inherited that trait from her! Left to my own devices, I would not care about birthday stuff at all, but my family has always made a big deal about it, so I feel like I need to keep up with it.

Thank you all for your reassurance. I feel kind of silly now for worrying so much - my dad and brother and I had a really nice evening, and my dad seemed genuinely appreciative of everything. So I feel much better - although very sleepy from all the worrying, lol.

• I'm glad you had a good evening!
  • @CLoGreenEyes - I usually just send my mom a card and flowers for her birthday, so you have me beat by about 1000 points!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm super late but I agree with PPs, it doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong at all! I think any gift that you put a little thought into is a great gift. Your brother sounds really immature. Maybe he felt guilty that he couldn't be there and he took it out on you? Regardless, not cool. I'm so glad you had a nice time!

• Just following what everyone else has said. You set up a really wonderful birthday celebration for your dad and you do not suck at birthdays at all!!! You put thought and heart into everything you did and I'm sure your dad appreciates it.

• Really late to this, but you do not even ALMOST suck at birthdays.  Be kinder to yourself.  You put so much effort into your dad's bday, and that just shows how much you care.  I, for one, would be so grateful and proud to have a daughter like you.
  • Thank you all. @loves2shop4shoes, not even gonna lie, I teared up a little bit. That means a lot. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards