Chit Chat

Philosophical question re vendor reviews

Say you have a very, very horrifying experience with a vendor. Say the vendor's management is so appropriately horrified on your behalf, they reimburse you ALL the money you spent on this particular service after your wedding is over.

Do you still put them on blast on every single website you can think of? Or do you consider the 100% reimbursement your payoff for remaining quiet?

Re: Philosophical question re vendor reviews

• I would probably write a review explaining what happened and that you were satisfied with the handling of the matter.

No sense in going "full blast" but also no sense in keeping quiet so that another person could suffer the same issue.

So what happened?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Honestly, if the experience was that bad, I would still write reviews BUT I would be sure to add that the management worked hard to make it right. I would want other potential clients/customers to at least be aware that one of their employees was a major problem. 
  • Is the vendor still employed by the company?  If so, I would warn other brides.  I'd post the review with the note that you did get refund from management.  If the vendor was let go, then I wouldn't do a review. 
  • AprilH81 said:
    I would probably write a review explaining what happened and that you were satisfied with the handling of the matter.

No sense in going "full blast" but also no sense in keeping quiet so that another person could suffer the same issue.

So what happened?

Trust me, I CANNOT WAIT to share. Once my credit card statement shows a $2,000 credit.
  • Damn! Can you share here without naming names?
  • I would write a thorough review of what happened and include an explanation of how the management responded, and how satisfied you felt by the way the issue was handled. As a potential customer it would tell me a) to avoid that particular employee, if they were still there and b) that the management knows how to handle shit, so if there is a problem they are going to work with me. 
  • Alright, I'll share without naming names. Because I am still rather floored. I just found out about the most egregious thing this morning.

It was vendor. Who was at the wedding. So I'm sure you can narrow down the types of service he could have been providing but I'll wait to share until I speak with his boss again on Monday, ensure I'm getting all my money back, and find out if he's getting fired or not.

On the wedding day I noticed him do a bunch of weird things and making weird comments but I let it go, because it was my freaking wedding and I was on cloud 9. But then this morning a guest (a coworker guest, no less) told me that he said some really lewd things about me... to a table of my coworkers. We are talking really lewd. Trust me, I am no prude and I am horrified. And this wasn't even late into the evening. This was before dinner even started.

He also creeped on a few female guests. Was caught secretly listening in and recording a private conservation between bridesmaids about breastfeeding. Was caught creeping out on some teenage girls that were just walking by the wedding, but weren't even guests. And at the end of the night, was on the dance floor with my guests, drink in hand.

Uuuuggghhhh.

• I once had a HORRIBLE experience with a moving company. I wrote a scathing review on Yelp. Within minutes, the OWNER of the company called me to apologize and find out how to make it right.

I told him I would hear him out. They then provided excellent service.

I kept the original details of the review posted but added to it as the move progressed. I think it is important to know the facts.
  • If the money shows up in your account, I'd leave a "middle of the road" review.  Like on a five star scale, leave 3 stars.  This awful thing happened, but the managers were so wonderful and understanding that they refunded my money and dismissed the employee.  If they don't fire the dude, leave 2 stars and say this awful thing happened, name the guy's name, the managers refunded my money, but the douche is still there, so be wary.
  • jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    Yeah. Maybe. I don't know how middle of the road I am feeling. I am still pretty livid. I feel like I will still be livid even after I get all my money back. Maybe I'll feel better about it in a few days.
  • That's horrible.  I agree with others about reviewing with the details, but stating that the owners reacted appropriately, refunded the money and fired the offending employee (assuming that happens). Just be honest, but provide the full account of the experience.

Yes, no amount of refund or firing will undo what was done, and there will possibly always be some amount of hurt feelings over it. If the company handles it correctly and fires the guy, there's no reason to hurt their business overall, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't review and warn others that there is a creeper like that out there.

• jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014

That's horrible.  I agree with others about reviewing with the details, but stating that the owners reacted appropriately, refunded the money and fired the offending employee (assuming that happens). Just be honest, but provide the full account of the experience.

Yes, no amount of refund or firing will undo what was done, and there will possibly always be some amount of hurt feelings over it. If the company handles it correctly and fires the guy, there's no reason to hurt their business overall, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't review and warn others that there is a creeper like that out there.

True. I think this will be my plan once it's all handled.

And for the record, the comment he made to a table of my coworkers (I die, seriously I die) was: "I wonder where he gave her her first orgasm."

SERIOUSLY. This has now been corroborated by two coworkers. So. So. Amazing. And at the time they were just politely chatting amongst themselves. No one was talking about anything remotely related to sex. OBVIOUSLY.

It happened when the DJ was going around to each table, releasing them to the buffet. To spread out the time between tables, he would stop at each and ask the table a random trivia question before sending them up. Questions like, "Where was their first date?" and "Where did he propose?"

WHO DOES THAT. WHO. And why did it have to be my coworkers of all the tables? Dear f-ing god. I think the only other table worse than that would have been our parents and grandparents.

• Make sure your contract doesn't have anything about bad reviews in it.

FSIL's DJ/Piano guy has "Award Winning" all over his shit. He is fucking awful and did a really pathetic job at their event.

She wanted to leave a bad review about him but he has it in there that its a breach of contract to leave a bad review.

Good thing I'm not under contract with Aaron Topfer, because he was lame as fuck and I wouldn't hire him if I needed someone to play the triangle at my FUNERAL!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    Make sure your contract doesn't have anything about bad reviews in it.

FSIL's DJ/Piano guy has "Award Winning" all over his shit. He is fucking awful and did a really pathetic job at their event.

She wanted to leave a bad review about him but he has it in there that its a breach of contract to leave a bad review.

Good thing I'm not under contract with Aaron Topfer, because he was lame as fuck and I wouldn't hire him if I needed someone to play the triangle at my FUNERAL!

Out of curiosity what could they do to you if you leave a bad review? Wedding is over, they got their money. What's their recourse? The period of the contract is passed. They can't fine you. It seems pretty toothless.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • beethery said:

Out of curiosity what could they do to you if you leave a bad review? Wedding is over, they got their money. What's their recourse? The period of the contract is passed. They can't fine you. It seems pretty toothless.
    Apparently he could sue. At least, that was the threat.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    beethery said:

Huh. I wonder if such a provision is even legal? Either way, it seems like a red flag to include a gag order before you even provide your (probably shitty, if you need such a provision) service.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • beethery said:
    beethery said:

Huh. I wonder if such a provision is even legal? Either way, it seems like a red flag to include a gag order before you even provide your (probably shitty, if you need such a provision) service.
    I have no idea if it's legal but it is EXTREMELY telling if a vendor felt it was necessary to include a "no bad reviews" clause in their contract.

FSIL thinks he did an awful job and always seems a little down about her reception whenever she talks about the DJ. I wish I'd known her better while she was planning, I would've offered some help. She's not really tech-savvy at all and didn't really know what to look for :/
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I would never book a vendor that had a "no bad review" clause in their contract. It's not even the fact that I can't leave a bad review, but that it's a red flag.

It seems like the company who employed this jerk is trying to make it right. So hopefully they will fire him, and you'll get your money back. 

Sometimes it's not the owners fault that their employees are jerks. People like that are smarmy and good at hiding that in their interviews. 

• I would never book a vendor that had a "no bad review" clause in their contract. It's not even the fact that I can't leave a bad review, but that it's a red flag.

It seems like the company who employed this jerk is trying to make it right. So hopefully they will fire him, and you'll get your money back. 

Sometimes it's not the owners fault that their employees are jerks. People like that are smarmy and good at hiding that in their interviews. 

Yeah if they make good on the refund and get rid of this creep, I'd leave them positive reviews for doing a great job (if they did do a great job other than that weirdo) and dealing with their employees correctly.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards