Military Brides
Options

Parris Island Questions

My guy is doing an internship at Parris Island this summer, and staying in Officer's quarters on base.  He'll be gone for close to 3 months, so I'd like to visit him at least once.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to get there (airport to fly into, rent a car or public transport, etc.)?  Things to do in the area?  Any hotels or towns nearby that you'd recommend for a quick semi-getaway (so I don't have to cram into the little tiny bed in his apart-hotel)?  Does anyone know if I'd even be allowed to stay on base with him at all, as we're not married?

Thanks for any input or suggestions!  I don't think any of this is OPSEC violations, but I'm happy to edit if it is.

Anniversary

Re: Parris Island Questions

• Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would fly into the Savannah airport and rent a car.  You will be very close to Hilton Head and Blufton, SC.  There is plenty of shopping and great restaurants there.  You could also take a little trip into Savannah.  It it only a 45 min drive. 
    I doubt you'll be able to stay on post with him. However, there are plenty of hotels right near there in Beaufort.  They aren't very expensive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  That's sort of what I was thinking.  I might actually fly into Jacksonville and rent a car, even though it's 2 hours longer to drive, because it's $200 cheaper for the flight!

Any regulations for the temporary housing on base?  I wanted to give him a few frames with pictures of us so he can put them up around the room, but I obviously want him to stay in regulation if they do inspections and such.

Anniversary

• Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011

Jax is over 3 hours just to Savannah.  You are talking 3 1/2-4 hours to PI.  I would fly into Savannah.  Just my opinion, though. 
    I can't comment on the regs.  I don't know what they would be.  Hopefully, some one else can help you out with that. 
    If you need more info about the area, let me know.  I've lived here most of my life. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    FI used to live in Sav, and I often flew in to Jax to save $$. It's really, really not worth it, unless you guys just stay down there for the weekend, and go to St. Augustine or something. It's so much easier to fly into Sav. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also fly in to Hilton Head. The airport is very small but it is only about an hour away from base. Good luck!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's sooooo expensive to fly into Savannah (or Hilton Head).  Like $500!  And at ridiculously inconvenient hours - mid-day, which would cut out a bunch of time with my guy.  Plus with the layover, it takes just as long as flying into Jacksonville and driving.

I think what we're going to do is me fly into Jacksonville and he'll drive down to Savannah - an hour for me, two hours for me.  And we'll spend the weekend in Savannah, since I can't stay on base anyway (he asked, they said no).

Works for me!  He's gone this weekend visiting his family and I'm already missing him... this is going to be a rather lonely summer, but hopefully it'll pass quickly!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards