October 2015 Weddings

Can we do it all??

edited November 2014 in October 2015 Weddings
We are just coming off of October which has been a whirlwind month. My 14 year old daughter from my previous marriage just started high school and is in the marching band. Turns out Oct is their most busy month with competitions, Homecoming, amongst other games and community things they perform at. I'm wondering if our date of 10/1 is fairly reasonable given it is the beginning of October. Thing is, we are getting married in Vegas (we live in WA state), and I would have to pull her from either a competition or game that weekend. I don't want to change my date as we have our venue and our hotel rooms booked. My question is, can we do it all? A little stressed over this, didn't realize how busy band was until this month. It's dying down now as our football season is over and they have only one competition remaining. I'm not terribly involved in the band stuff, except for donating meals, food, etc, I just don't have time to allocate to volunteering or attending EVERY function, and I have been side eyed by some of the parents. I don't want my daughter to get in trouble because we have our wedding during their busy season, but come on... Thoughts? Anyone done this before?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can we do it all??

• Oh my god, it won't let paragraph. Sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As long as your daughter doesn't mind that you're pulling her out of events, I don't see the problem! It's not like you're taking her out of school for 2 weeks for a random family vacation, so I really don't think she'll get in trouble. Just make sure to tell the band director and whomever else needs to know that she will be gone far in advance. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh yeah, she is excited for the trip. I will def talk to the band director and school beforehand. I am not the first parent nor will I be the last (to do this). Her band teacher I am concerned about. He is a bit of a jerk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with Nicole it's 1 weekend. It shouldn't be a big deal. 
  • As a former band nerd (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away) my experience is as long as they know far in advance that she won't be there for one competition or one game you'll be ok. It would be better for her to be gone for the game and not the competition but they'll make do. Competition is a huge deal in the high school music world so if her band teacher is a jerk, that's why. If she doesn't mind missing out then I wouldn't let it bother you ;)
  • They are SUPER competitive. I will let them know at the beginning of band camp next August.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards