Wedding Invitations & Paper

HOW TO WORD MY INVITES

My fiancee and I came up with a very unusual concept for our upcoming wedding. We've decided to do a private secret wedding ceremony this year and host a reception for family and friends next year on what will be our anniversary of when we first got together. The concept for the reception is to set an approximate time that it will begin and doors will close. As the reception begins we will have a projection machine playing a video which will include various photos of us throughout our relationship them go into the actual footage from the ceremony which is our way of announcing the marriage. Being that the marriage itself is to remain a secret up until that point I need help on how I could word the invitations since I don't want to mislead by saying wedding ceremony and I don't want to really give anything away by saying wedding reception.

Re: HOW TO WORD MY INVITES

I can't with this today. 

Why are you having a secret wedding and then lying to your guests? WHY!?! For the love of god. I don't understand why brides do this! 

Also, no one wants to have to sit through a slide show of someone else's life. That shit is not fun, or amusing or entertaining. If you want to show pictures or a video, do it somewhere off to the side, where you guests can choose if they want to watch it. 
    This.  Sorry but keeping your marriage a secret and then surprising everyone with it is not the same as say announcing a pregnancy.  People understand why you wait to announce a pregnancy (want to get through that first trimester), but no one will understand why you kept your marriage a secret for an entire year.  People may actually be pretty damn pissed at you.

Keeping your marriage a secret and then a year later saying "Surprise we have been married for an entire year!" is not cute, fun or funny.

• Since this isn't a wedding, but a party to celebrate your marriage, you can word the invitations like this:

Please join
    BrideFirst BrideLast
    and
    GroomFirst GroomLast
    as they celebrate their recent marriage
    Saturday, the sixth of December
    two thousand fourteen
    at half after 6 o'clock
    [Venue Name]
    [Venue Location]

Since it's just a party - not a wedding, you would not use traditional wedding wording. Also, I'm assuming you're hosting it yourself since you're not telling anyone about the actual marriage. It'd be really fucked up if you accepted money from people for this.

On a side note, you should not lie to your guests or "surprise" them with this. Just... why? If I attended what I thought was a wedding and then the couple did a "surprise!! we've been married for a year!" I would be PISSED. I would be royally pissed if I had spent money to travel, rent a car, get a hotel, pay for a gift, etc. It not a "good" surprise. I would feel taken advantage of.

I see no reason you can't move forward with this plan as long as you're proactively honest with people. That's the only part to which I'm just....
    *********************************************************************************

• My fiancee and I came up with a very unusual concept for our upcoming wedding. We've decided to do a private secret wedding ceremony this year and host a reception for family and friends next year on what will be our anniversary of when we first got together. The concept for the reception is to set an approximate time that it will begin and doors will close. As the reception begins we will have a projection machine playing a video which will include various photos of us throughout our relationship them go into the actual footage from the ceremony which is our way of announcing the marriage. Being that the marriage itself is to remain a secret up until that point I need help on how I could word the invitations since I don't want to mislead by saying wedding ceremony and I don't want to really give anything away by saying wedding reception.

JIC

OP, why do you feel the need to keep your marriage a secret? And why do you think your guests will be excited to sit through a video watching something that happened a year ago?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is so far from a good idea. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Sooooooooo your plan is to lie to your family and friends for an entire year then invite them to a party and say "SURPRISE! LULZ!"

Yeah. Let me know how that goes. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    My fiancee and I came up with a very unusual concept for our upcoming wedding. We've decided to do a private secret wedding ceremony this year and host a reception for family and friends next year on what will be our anniversary of when we first got together. The concept for the reception is to set an approximate time that it will begin and doors will close. As the reception begins we will have a projection machine playing a video which will include various photos of us throughout our relationship them go into the actual footage from the ceremony which is our way of announcing the marriage. Being that the marriage itself is to remain a secret up until that point I need help on how I could word the invitations since I don't want to mislead by saying wedding ceremony and I don't want to really give anything away by saying wedding reception.
    There is simply NO proper way to invite people to such a rude event.  Please do not do this.  You will offend many, many people. 
    The party you are planning is NOT a wedding reception.  If you plan to get married privately, you give up having one.  You are planning a party to reveal to your friends and family that you have been lying to them, and that they are not important enough to you to be trusted with the truth about your relationship.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Let me suggest a polite way to revise your plans.
    Get married secretly.  This is called eloping.  After your ceremony, you notify your friends and family by telephone, and by mailing them printed marriage announcements.

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date
    City, State

Now you can plan a party to celebrate.  You send out party invitations just like for any other party.

Mr. and Mrs. Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company
    to celebrate their recent marriage
    Date of party
    time
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Agree with PPs that this is a very bad idea. My feelings would be very hurt if I went to a party to discover that my family member has been keeping her marriage from me for a year and chose to announce it to me the way you're describing. What is the point of keeping your marriage secret for a year?

• If you want to celebrate with your family and friends, why not just do it at the wedding itself?  What's the point of this "Surprise! We got married last year!"  And why do you think they would be okay with being "surprised" like that?  If I were invited to what I was told was a wedding only to be told "Surprise! We got married last year-this is just the celebration!" when I got there I wouldn't be okay with that.

If you really don't want your family and friends to attend the ceremony, then why can't you be honest and just admit that you are already married and invite them to a subsequent wedding celebration without "surprising" them about it?
  • WTH is up with the bad ideas today?  Is this Stupid Idea Wednesday or something?

• Janet Jackson? Did you get married again????
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Send them an invitation to your quinceanera.
  • Stop saying wedding reception, this is not a wedding reception. A wedding reception happens immediately following a wedding. After you've been married for a year, that ship has sailed.
    I'm also going to join the chorus of people who are confused as to what the purpose is of hiding your marriage for a year. If you want to have a private ceremony, have a private ceremony. If you want to get married in a year with all your friends and family present, do that. It's one or the other
    Just Married!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards