North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Vendor reviews:

Vendor reviews:

Hello all… I got married in the Outer Banks in September, 2014 and wanted to give a review on all my vendors to help anyone out that might have questions about them… This forum really helped me out when I was planning our wedding down at the OBX from a distance (Virginia).

Flowers:  Harris Teeter in Nags Head, I have to say that my flowers were perfect and John Turner the flower gallery manager was very easy to work with.  I asked for white daisies, mums, and roses and they were beautiful and my bouquet lasted a week after my wedding even after the 4 hour drive home in a sand bucket… For our center pieces and bridesmaid bouquets I asked for bulk flowers and we arranged them the day before and day of and we also got mother of the bride and groom wrist corsages.  If you are looking to SAVE this is where it is at!! Our cost was a 3rd of what it would have been with other florist down there.  And the flowers were perfect and gorgeous!!

Cake: I also chose Harris Teeter in Nags Head, we also saved a lot here too, we wanted cup cakes and for the $3.50 plus that other bakers wanted in the area the cup cakes at Harris Teeter averaged about $1.00 and were perfect, granted they were not some crazy flavor/fancy cup cakes but that was not what we wanted anyways Chocolate, vanilla and red velvet with a very tasty white icing with clear sprinkles.  We also got a two tiered small cake for our topper and anniversary that was beautiful and had light blue swirls.  The girls at the bakery were very easy to work with.

Venue: We got married at the Hilton Garden Inn, in Kitty Hawk.  Our ceremony was on the beach just outside the hotel and our reception was in their beautiful Pier House (we did a Wednesday wedding which was less expansive and we partied the whole week with family and friends).  Robin Rector was our coordinator and I can’t say enough good things about her! If you book with them they also do the food for your reception and we got so many complements on our food choices. We had about 100ish people and that was a perfect amount for that space.  Robin and her crew set up everything we just dropped off decorations the morning of they set up… no worries hassle free... and their crew cleaned up after we left.

Chairs for Ceremony: I do OBX Chairs, Tony was awesome, very laid back and professional, super easy to work with and very good with commutation.  The day of our wedding the beach at Kitty Hawk was almost nonexistent.  But he set up the chairs and bamboo poles just perfect and it worked out great the surf came up just to where we stood and we did not get wet it was beautiful, could not have planned it better, It was not what we talked about before but he was able to change things up last minute.

When Doves Fly: We did a dove release at our ceremony and had my aunt do a reading and it was worth it!  If you can afford it I would recommend it!

DJ: We booked Coastal DJ and video for the music.  I have to say that with the online set up of your songs, your wants, and your do not plays, it was very easy, you could even pay online and set up your whole timeline! The owner was a little ruff at times to deal with and we had a miss commutation that lead to some anxiety, but in the end he did a great job for us and kept the party going!  I would recommend him but just know that he can be hard to deal with but the outcome is great.

Photographer: Coastal Shots, We LOVED working with Ryan we also booked him for our engagement pictures.  I wanted to make sure that he did a great job since this was my #1 importance for our wedding was great pictures so doing the engagement let me know how good he was.  Ryan did a great job on both engagement and wedding pictures caught some great moments and was super easy to work with very prompted on communication and very laid back go with the flow.  We also booked a photobooth through him which we loved and the pictures we got from that are priceless would highly recommend him and the photobooth! We are even booking a 1 year anniversary session with him… FYI it took about  2-3 weeks after each to get our pictures from both sessions.

Rehearsal dinner: Mulligan’s bar and grill in Nags head, I did not book this my Mother-in-law did and it was perfect! We had the dinner in their screened in deck on the second floor and their food was so good.  From what she told me they were also very easy to work with and very reasonable on price. 

Lodging:  My family booked two beach front houses through Joe Lamb and they worked out perfect for our needs.  The houses were right next to the Hilton which made things really easy just to walk right on the beach to get to the hotel.  I even walked out the house right to the beach to where the ceremony was.     

PS I have to recommend Duck Donuts for morning after breakfast!!

Be happy to answer any questions… 

Kathy Welch    

Re: Vendor reviews:

• Options
    Hair and Makeup: Forgot to add that I got my hair and makeup done a Hot Heads I have to say I don't like giving a bad review because what I got was ok just not what I was looking for and not like the pictures that I showed them.  They miss my trial appointment and had to cancel my nail appointment the day before my wedding... So it was a lot of stress and anxiety to deal with them.  Now I do have to say that yes my hair and make looked good and my bridesmaids hair looked good but it was just not a good experience with them.  I do not think I would recommend them to anyone that was making arrangements from far away... If you live in the OBX or close I am sure you could make it a better experience.     
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards