Honeymoon Discussions

Fishing on our honeymoon?

I'm getting married in about a month and we just booked our honeymoon. We were almost not going to go on a honeymoon because we don't have a lot of money right now and just bought a house that needs a lot of work. My parents just gifted us with some money to help us get started and after that we decided to go on a honeymoon. I feel guilty spending so much on it when we have so many other expenses coming up, but let him chose the place because we were deciding between a couple and he really wanted the tropical island we chose. I can't help but feel he was leaning towards the place we chose because of the fishing though and he just made a comment about asking a guide down there where he could fish. I secretly feel a little upset because I know how much he loves fishing and think he's going to be more excited for that than to spend time with me. I know that thats not really true, but i feel like I'm sharing my honeymoon with a fishing trip. And if we chose the more expensive location for that  reason I don't know how I feel about it. If you were in my situation, would you say something? Or am I just being sensitive? I love fishing too but I don't really want my honeymoon to feel like a fishing trip.

Re: Fishing on our honeymoon?

• People have different feelings when it comes to this.  My DH didn't want to go on one of the safari rides, so I went alone (3 hours) .  DH doesn't like massages and I had 2 at 85 minutes each.   

I have some friends who she loves the beach, he hates it.  He loves golfing, she hates it.  So during their HM he played golf one day and she hung out at the beach.

He is going to be your husband, so you should say something.  But personally speaking I would not be upset if my DH went fishing during our HM if I didn't want to go.  Fishing everyday would be different.

Life is about compromise. If you do not think he will get back there then I would "let" him go one day.  That is why I went on the safari drive one day and DH didn't (he went the other drives).  I don't know when I'm going to ever go back so I wanted to go on every single drive (we went on 2 a day)    

Fishing is not the same everywhere in the world.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    You also have to consider that if he is also spending his (if it was partially paid for by him) money on this trip, you can't really blame him for wanting to experience something like that. My FI drives race cars and loves go karting with his friends.... You better believe he found a go kart track where we are spending our honeymoon and intends to spend an hour or two there. Is his fishing trip something that will totally ruin your honeymoon? Probably not. You'll still have an amazing time with your new husband!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it were me, I would definitely encourage him to do a fishing outing, even if I didn't want to go.  I'd make it a girly spa day or a lay-on-the-beach day for myself.  In my case, my FI loves deep sea fishing.  He gets to go in the gulf 1-2 times a year, but if he had a chance to go in a tropical place, which isn't something we do 1-2 times every year, he would definitely want to take it.  Good luck!

• Well, how much fishing are we talking here? Just one or two days, or for a large part of the trip?

There are lots of things that H really enjoys and that I just sort of enjoy, but I suck it up and do it anyway. And he'll do the same for me. I personally don't like fishing. But if H did and wanted to spend a day doing that on our HM, I'd get on board. 
  • I'm not into fishing so I would probably take advantage of that time to go hiking or kayaking, both things that my husband really isn't into. That way we both get to do one thing that we each really want to do, but the other wouldn't enjoy. Check out the area to see if there is anything you would really like to do that you know the wouldn't want to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards