Wedding Reception Forum

Tablecloths

My FI's cousin got married a couple months back, and they are offering to let us borrow their black tablecloths. The only problem is that our wedding colors are sunflower yellow and navy, and our bridesmaid's dresses are going to be navy. I don't know whether or not to accept the black tablecloths, I'm worried about the black and navy clashing, and I need advice. Our other option is to buy navy tablecloths online and just spend the extra money on them. Please let me know what you think!

Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tablecloths

• Personally I am not a fan of black tablecloths.  I am not really a fan of super dark tablecloths period.  I feel that they just create "black holes" in the room and really darken a space.

Do you have to buy tablecloths?  Does your venue offer white tablecloths for no or very little cost?

• The reception is in his hometown, at their community building. They unfortunately do not have tablecloths for rent, and Water's True Value would be $11 per tablecloth to rent. Our best option, beside borrow from his cousin, would be to buy our own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DaniBitesDaniBites member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    Hey there,

I'm using this site for some of my table linen and other things, they have great reviews around the boards.

Hope it helps!

ETA the link 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd rent/buy white ones.  A clean, light, blank canvas.  Then work the navy and or yellow into your centerpieces or menus.
  • I really don't want to do white table cloths. I don't like the look of them, and I do not like that they show dirt/mess so easily.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could do a white table cloth with a navy overlay.  This way you get your navy but it won't be a huge block of darkness as it would with a solid tablecloth.  Also the overlay will prevent any messes that can be seen.

But really any spills that may occur (which probably will be few and far between) on the tables will not be noticed by anyone or in any pictures.

• I'd also pass on the black tablecloths. If you don't want white, I'd still suggest sticking with a light color. Think of the room filled with people and tables full of plates, decor and random items- it gets busy fairly quickly. Light colors will help keep a nice balance.
  • Messes still show on black table cloths - breadcrumbs, chunks of potato, blobs of ranch dressing, whatever. But by that point, you really won't care. The tables will be messed up from people eating on them whether they spill anything or not. You would have already gotten any pictures you wanted of the tables before anyone gets there.

If you REALLY hate white, I think the silver is a happy medium. They'd look nice with a navy overlay - the navy is sheer so it won't be a big blob of darkness and will contrast with the BM dresses (not that that's a thing you should worry about at all, though). Shown below over white.

I bought my overlays from here: http://weddinglinensdirect.com/90taovna1.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards