Honeymoon Discussions
Options

costa rica during rainy season?? other options??

Hello I had my heart set on costa rica til I found it we would be traveling during the worst part of the rainy season. I'm not completely deciding against it yet, I just want to know water I'm up against and decide if I want to peruse it.
We will be traveling there in mind sept 2015 for 10 nights staying partly in Guanacaste and partly in the rain forrest.
has anyone been there this time of year? Am I looking at Constant rain or is it more and hour or two of rain for a couple days a week? I'm also interested in any other destination options that would have sunnier skies at this time that we could do for about 4 grand for everything
Thanks in advance :)

Re: costa rica during rainy season?? other options??

• Options
    September is smack in the middle of the rainy season (and hurricane season) for Central America and the Caribbean. It might only rain for a couple hours in the afternoons, or it could rain the entire time. If you're set on a sunny beach vacation in September, anywhere in that area is not it, unfortunately.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    September is smack in the middle of the rainy season (and hurricane season) for Central America and the Caribbean. It might only rain for a couple hours in the afternoons, or it could rain the entire time. If you're set on a sunny beach vacation in September, anywhere in that area is not it, unfortunately.
    Ditto this. We had originally planned on doing Costa Rica or Belize at the end of September. However, when we found out about the weather, we decided to nix it. 

If you are set on something sunny and beachy, you could try a cruise. If there's a hurricane or tropical storm, they usually just sail around in. 
  • Options
    Costa Rica has beautiful jungles, and they need rain to exist.  Your post made me giggle.  I was on a cruise with a lot of New Yorkers.  (Don't get your hackles up!  I used to live there, too.)  I heard an elderly woman kvetching, "Harry, why are we walking here?  It's raining!  We should go inside and wait until it stops.  What are they thinking?"  Um, lady, you signed up for a jungle hike in the middle of the rainy season.  This isn't Disneyland.  I had a glorious time monkey watching in the rain.  The flowers and birdlife were beautiful!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    ive been reading the rainy season is the best time to see the beauty and wildlife i just dont want to walk into a monsoon, I tend to have bad luck weather wise lol But I think I'm take my chances and pray for a wonderful trip :)
  • Options
    That is exactly what my fiance and I were trying to avoid- the "rainy season."  We are going to Costa Rica for 10 days during their "dry season," which, in their case, seems to be tourism season (busy time of the year).  We are going in February right after our wedding.  

Regardless of the weather, enjoy your stay and your honeymoon :) it will be a new adventure!  

Happy planning!
  • Options
    We went to Costa Rica NOT during the rainy season, and it still rained like there was an ocean falling out of the sky. One the days when the rain never stopped, it was pretty miserable. All you could really do is sit in your room and none of the places we stayed had TVs or anything like that, so luckily I had brought a good (thick) book with me. Then even when the rain stopped we were putting on big heavy rubber boots to trek through mud. This only happened maybe 3 days out of 15, but based on that experience I would definitely not go to Costa Rica during the rainy season. No way. 

If you want a sunny beach, you should try southern California. If you want something more "exotic" than that, you may have to head to Europe because as other PPs have said, hurricane season. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards