Chit Chat

NWR: What to do?

My H and I are attending a concert out of town this weekend with friends.   Our friends got the tickets cheap and offered us a pair to go with them (we paid for ours).   They suggested we drive together to the event and have fun in the parking area before hand.   We are all for this.   During discussions on meeting up my friend mentioned that we'll drive to the other city (about 2 hours away) and meet up with another mutual friend of ours and then all drive together to the event in mutual friends car.  They're a little farther away from the concert so we'd have to go past it and then come back to get to the place.   Plus, we'd then have to drive back to their house after and rejoin traffic out of the city and finish the commute for 2 hours.   

My dilemma:  H does not do well in traffic, is horrid in it actually.   He's better driving himself, but in this instance we'd be the passengers.   He's not (and I'm not as well) too thrilled with going the extra distance before the show and then having to back track and then get into more traffic on the way back.   Would it be ok to tell our friends that we'll meet them there?  I feel horrible, because they invited us and got us the tickets - but the idea of all that extra driving and added aggravation for H along with the 4 hour round trip, just does not sound like fun.    Thoughts?

Short of it:  Is it ok to back out of driving together with friends if you're still going to party with them and enjoy the concert with them even though they invited you to the concert?

Re: NWR: What to do?

• Yes. Either that, or tell them to pick you up on the way back from picking up mutual friend. That way you're not backtracking. Just tell them all the driving makes you car sick and you want to limit the amount of time.

image   image   image

• Before I got to the end of your post I was going to suggest driving separately. So yes I would say you should tell your friends you would rather drive separately. I don't see why it would be a big deal. 
    Anniversary

• I wouldn't want to do that either. I think you're fine in telling them that you'll meet them there. 
  • I think driving separate is fine. You're not required to car pool. Do what works for you! 
  • I don't see any problem with driving separately. 

And if you are concerned about avoiding parking at the concert or wanting to all arrive together, maybe you park your car at a park-and-ride or at a grocery store/mall (someplace with a large lot) near the concert venue and they pick you up and drop you off on the way.

• Why doesn't that other mutual friend just drive themselves? I would never let my friends drive so far out of the way like that. I would insist on meeting them at the venue. It is possible to park near each other for tailgating purposes, I have done it many times.

OP - I would just tell your friends you would like to drive separate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards