Wedding Reception Forum

Dinner for the photographer?

Hello!

I need some advice on my reception dinner. I am reading everywhere that it is proper etiquette to provide your photographer with a meal. 

However, my reception is being held in a small private room (I have 13 total guests, only close friends and family) with one large table. Its going to be a very intimate dinner followed by some drinks on a private balcony. No dancing or halls or anything. Do I still have to provide a meal for the photographer in this case? I think it would be a little awkward?

I would have no problem if I was having a large wedding with multiple tables...but since this is so small..

Thanks you!

Re: Dinner for the photographer?

• Hello!

I need some advice on my reception dinner. I am reading everywhere that it is proper etiquette to provide your photographer with a meal. 

However, my reception is being held in a small private room (I have 13 total guests, only close friends and family) with one large table. Its going to be a very intimate dinner followed by some drinks on a private balcony. No dancing or halls or anything. Do I still have to provide a meal for the photographer in this case? I think it would be a little awkward?

I would have no problem if I was having a large wedding with multiple tables...but since this is so small..

Thanks you!
    Generally yes. How long is your photographer going to be with you that day?

• You can still provide a meal, he can just eat it somewhere else. I'm assuming it's the private room of a restaurant? If so I see no issue reserving a table in the main dining room or arrange for a seat at the bar for him. Then designate a time that works with hour timeline and ask if its agreeable for him.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thank you for the replies!

I don't see our photographer being with us for more than 5 hours. We would just like some pre-ceremony, ceremony, and post ceremony photos. 

The dinner is being held in a private room of a high end hotel restaurant...its like a small event room private from the rest of the dining area. Its all vintage and wood, etc. Very intimate feel. 

If I were to pay for something for the photographer they would be sitting in the main room possibly by themselves, and id feel equally as bad lol. Not sure what to do!
  • Talk to your photographer. Their contract usually specifies if they get a meal, depending on how many hours you've booked them. (Five hours would constitute a necessary meal, in my eyes, considering travel time can spread that out to a six-hour commitment.)

If not, I'd still ask them what they prefer. Some photographers will have the restaurant box something up for them.
  • Yeah I'm going to talk to her when I meet with her next weekend. 

Our dinner is going to be a plated 3 course meal, so I don't know how they could box something up for her. 

But il let her know everything and ask her preference. I want to pay for her meal its just a matter of how she's going to eat it I guess lol
  • Check with your venue too so that you can see what the options are.  They should be able to find a discrete place for the photographer to eat.  But also, check and see what kind of food they're planning on serving them.  Some places give really disgusting/embarrassing boxed lunch type things that look like they came from a very bad school cafeteria.  I made sure that our vendors got one of our meals because I didn't want to be embarrassed by poor hosting.  It's worth the extra money to be gracious to the people who are helping you.
  • Great question, and great responses. I was wondering the same thing and love the idea of serving them in the main dining room.  And the encouragement to actually talk to them (lol) as I tend to get uncomfortable with those kind of situations.
  • Great question, and great responses. I was wondering the same thing and love the idea of serving them in the main dining room.  And the encouragement to actually talk to them (lol) as I tend to get uncomfortable with those kind of situations.
    Just shoot them an email. :) I only called our vendors when it was last-minute stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards