October 2014 Weddings

Update on my dog :(

I wrote a while ago how my dog, Pepper, was sick with kidney disorder and some dementia and how worried I was that she would decline around my wedding/honeymoon.  Well, she did hold out for that, but today, the day before my birthday, I had to put her to sleep.  She had diarrhea on and off since last week, and she was just really bad yesterday into today.  So I got her into the vet today.  I was not sure at first whether she was "sick enough", but when they checked her kidney function the number was almost three times as high as it had been (which if it's high it's bad).  So that gave me the sign I needed.  My vet said she'd do the same thing.  My dog lived to be just over 15 years, of which most of that time she spent following me from room to room, never leaving my side.  
Pep.jpg 86.9K

Re: Update on my dog :(

• I'm so sorry for your loss.  It's never easy, they are our family and our best friends; you can tell them any secret you want and know it will not be revealed; they share in our joyous times and know how to cheer us up when we're sad.  Even though it may not offer you comfort, just know she is no longer sick. 

If you need to chat, let me know.  I lost one of my dogs to cancer 4 years ago, I'm still not 'over it' but I did learn how to 'live with it'.

Anniversary
  • Thanks so much, @Dignity100, for the very kind words.  I know that she is out of pain and I did spare her and kept her dignity intact.  I didn't want her to be worse than what she already was, it would have broke my heart.

I lost her sister (not blood relation) about three years ago, she also had a chronic condition so I knew it was coming and chose just the right time to let her go.  I have no regrets for either dog.  It's just so hard when for 15 years this pup has followed me no matter how tired she was...she would always have to follow me from room to room to bathroom...never letting me out of her sight.  I have had dogs for the past 18 years, I have had a "dog routine" for 18 years.  Just taking the dog out multiple times a day, it seems so weird to not have to do that anymore.

I wish my cat would let me cuddle or sleep with us.  She is so independent, the exact opposite of my dog.  I'm hoping I can convince her to become more needy (other than when she wants food).  lol.

• I'm so sorry about your baby Pepperally. :( Losing a beloved pet is so hard. I know you know she is in a better place now but it still doesn't make the pain any easier. Sending all my love and hugs!

• Thanks so much @LaPeanut1018‌. I greatly appreciate it.
  • So so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog :(  They are truly man (and woman's) best friend. This dog in particular sounds especially loyal to you.
    It is NEVER easy, no matter how old they are or how much they are suffering. I feel you.

My 14 1/2 year old beagle passed away 3 days before my wedding, of natural causes. Just writing this I am tearing up thinking of it. It takes time, but every day is a little easier.

• So sorry for your loss. 15 years for a dog is pretty amazing, though. And know that a dog who loved you so much just proves what a happy life you were able to give her.
  • @Blergbot - yes, 15 is a long time for a dog...much longer than I even could have asked for.  Thank you.

@Krystynnnn - thanks so much for your kind words.  I am so, so sorry that you lost your dog, and right before your wedding.  That is very sad.  I know each day gets a little better.  *hugs to you*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards