Getting in Shape

Trying to get back to being healthy. (Intro)

Hello all! 

As of today November, 11,2014 I weigh 250 lbs. I am 5'4" tall, which I understand means that a healthy weight for someone my size should be somewhere in the range of between 125 lbs and 150lbs. My goal weight at this time is 150 lbs, I haven't weighed 125 lbs since I was in the seventh grade. I really put on weight after I stopped taking adderall in high school and then again after I quit martial arts, which I was doing roughly 12 hours a week between classes and helping to teach. I was running for a while and had been doing mostly 5K (3.2 miles) races and have also done a few 8 and 10k races (5 and 6.2 miles respectively) and one half marathon (13.1 miles) I would like to get back in to running and I want to be healthier which means eating healthier and exercising regularly. I also have Hypothyroidism, which makes it a bit harder to get back to a healthier weight but I'm feeling optimistic. My SO is in the Navy and has lost a total of 60 lbs and both he and I want to be healthy together. 

Re: Trying to get back to being healthy. (Intro)

• Welcome!

You sound like someone who really likes exercise and that's great! I swam competitively for about 13 years, did taekwondo in college and recently started running again. Exercise is a great way to be in shape and get healthy (heart and cardiovascular health in general), but to lose weight you also have to moderate your diet. By no means starve yourself, but just being aware of the calories you're taking in versus the calories you're burning by exercising can be a great tool.

I think it's great you and your SO want to be healthy together! Keep at it, even when it's tough, and good luck!
  • Thanks! I'm also using MyFitnessPal to log calories and exercise. I'm trying to limit my consumption to around 1500 calories a day.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards