Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

DIY Caramel apple station

I'm having a fall wedding and am thinking about having caramel apples for favors.

What do you think about a DIY caramel apple station. I'd have unwrapped caramel apples lined up on a table along side bowls of toppings for guests to put on their apples. I'd also provide bags if guests wanted to take them home with them. Do you think this would be too messy? As a guest would you feel like this was fun or like I am putting you to work?

If I don't do that I might just serve the caramel apples prewrapped with ribbon and a thank you tag attached. Question: is it better to have the apples on/near their plate at the table or should I have a table with favors for people to grab themselves? Which one would you prefer or which have you seen be more successful in terms of people actually taking the favors?  Thanks!

Re: DIY Caramel apple station

• As a guest, I would like a wrapped (no DIY toppings) caramel apple at my table setting.  I would definitely take it because I love them, but I'd be less inclined to grab one if I had to top and wrap it myself!
  • This sounds messy. I'd prefer prewrapped.
  • No DIY caramel apple station.  I think that the toppings would be harder to stick into the caramel if they were pre dipped.  Wrap them up nicely with a bow and tag.  You can either put them on the table and each place setting, or leave them on a table to grab on the way out.  If you put them on a table on the way out, you can have a mixtures of candy apples with toppings on them like sprinkles, or peanuts so your guests can pick the one they like best.  But if you have them on a table- I would stick with no toppings.

I would definitely take one~!  Love love love anything with apple!
  • I think this is an idea better suited to a smaller, more casual group at say a house-warming party.  You could have melted caramel in a crockpot or fondue pot and people can dip them fresh so the toppings stick.  I would not appreciate having to assemble my own potentially messy favor while dressed up and in heels.
  • I agree with PPs - sounds messy and would be difficult to dip into toppings if pre-dipped in caramel. I think pre-wrapped is better. If you do have a table with them instead of at place settings, make sure you have extras because some people may grab two. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I don't see how the toppings would stick to already pre-dipped and cooled apples.

Just have pre-wrapped apples at each place setting.

• Thanks ladies!!
  • prewrapped. it would be too messy otherwise. and you have to think of allergies with nuts and what not. 
  • I agree with the rest, too messy.  Have them prewrapped at the table settings. 
  • Having been to weddings with Caramel apples as the favors - IMO - if you're going to do them pre-wrapped for guests to take - if you've got a small guest list you can do some gourmet type toppings, but really - even the pre-wrapped ones can be a mess! 

If you were to do a "Caramel Apple Station" I'd rec' doing it like the Apple Producers used to do down at the State Fair booth where they had the apples pre-cut in a bowl and using one of those dispensers the caramel was put on top of the apples without risking the people working getting burned from hot caramel.  Then they dolloped it with whipped cream.  That I could see working at a wedding because the risk of hot caramel burns could be diminished, but still, I'm seeing a caramel apple station as a burn waiting to happen...  Not to mention cross-contamination from dipping into toppings themselves...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards