Chit Chat

First Christmas As Husband And Wife

Hey y'all- with the brunt of my wedding planning done I'm starting to look ahead to how to make our first Christmas as a married couple really special!  So I thought it'd be fun to ask- did anyone (for those who have been married more than a year) or does anyone (for others in my same boat) plan on doing anything extra special or cute for their first holiday season together?

Re: First Christmas As Husband And Wife

• We completely revamped our x mas decorations this year. And we are going on a weekend trip for turkey day.
    Anniversary
  • We completely revamped our x mas decorations this year. And we are going on a weekend trip for turkey day.
    Oh how fun, we are thinking of doing the same!  I want to do all color-coordinated decorations this year, I'm thinking silver and gold... what kind of decorations are you looking for?
  • We won't be married until 9/2015.  However this year we bought our first home.  I am a nurse and work some holidays so it gets tricky.  But this year I have Xmas off and I am so happy!!

This year we decided to add these traditions for our xmas:

Cut own Xmas tree the Sat after Thanksgiving
    we already buy a custom ornament to represent our year/relationship/life
    Decorate the house/exterior
    Make gingerbread men and house
    if it is a white Christmas we will snowshoe with our dogs through the trails in the woods behind our house!
    Instead of gifts we are doing Xmas stockings for each other!

Very excited to be away from apartment living!  The rest will be normal going to my uncles for Xmas dinner! =)

• We got a couple wedding ornaments an a monogram tree skirt. It was also our first Christmas living together, so that was huge. 
  • Christmas morning is a huge deal in my family, and my mom really wanted us to stay over and do our morning traditions with them. But H and I decided that first Christmas morning belonged to us. We slept in a bit, exchanged gifts, made breakfast. We have kept that up. When we have a baby we might let my mom have her Christmas mornings again because my parents' house is just bigger and more festive and I think it will be fun.

We also had a custom glass ornament made for our first Christmas, two penguins forming a heart shape. We plan to have similar ones made for each child when we have them.
  • Our first Christmas together, we grilled steaks and had a candlelit dinner for just the two of us. We are hoping to make this a tradition.
  • We went to Ecuador and had it in a cloud forest. Our "Christmas tree" was a little tropical flower arrangement in a vase. We went zip lining on Xmas eve and did a waterfall hike on Xmas day.

I'll be honest though, even as much as we like to travel, I've realized I'm a "home for the holidays" type if person. And as I count back, we have literally never been home for Christmas together. We won't be this year either. Not that I'd give up Ecuador, but what'd be really special for me would be to wake up in our own house, in our own bed, and do a little Xmas morning together. Like before life gets too complicated.
    *********************************************************************************

Oh how fun, we are thinking of doing the same!  I want to do all color-coordinated decorations this year, I'm thinking silver and gold... what kind of decorations are you looking for?
    We ended up going with a whole Seahawk motif, dark blues and lime greens. We are huge fans. There is Seahawk stuff all over our home. 

Before I had all matching decorations that were mine when he moved in that were all silver and aqua. I was really in love with them. 
    Anniversary
  • Christmas morning is a huge deal in my family, and my mom really wanted us to stay over and do our morning traditions with them. But H and I decided that first Christmas morning belonged to us. We slept in a bit, exchanged gifts, made breakfast. We have kept that up. When we have a baby we might let my mom have her Christmas mornings again because my parents' house is just bigger and more festive and I think it will be fun. We also had a custom glass ornament made for our first Christmas, two penguins forming a heart shape. We plan to have similar ones made for each child when we have them.
    Same in my family- last year was my first Christmas out of college with my own place (FI and I moved back to our hometown but got our own apartment) and my mom got real emotional when I mentioned we weren't sure if we were going to stay over with my family Christmas Eve and do early Christmas morning with them (it starts at like 8:00, ugh).  My mom NEVER gets emotional about that kind of stuff and is super not clingy/has never even shown a moment of distress at literally any other aspect of me "growing up" and becoming an adult on my own... so I figured having us wake up in her house Christmas morning was something it was worth it to concede.  

We will probably continue to do the same for a while... once we have kids is when I think we'll want to start doing Christmas at our own place.  Moving back to our hometown means we have both of our families to contend with for holidays so I think having a kid in the picture will give us leverage to say "Anyone who wants to spend Christmas with their grand-baby can come on over to our house" rather than spending Christmas Eve and Christmas day running back and forth between our parents houses.  As it is we do Christmas Eve afternoon with my family, Christmas Eve night with his, Christmas morning with mine, Christmas afternoon with his, and Christmas night with mine... whew it's making me tired just thinking about it.
  • I mentioned this in another thread... but we've already started coming up with our own traditions, which will continue now that we're married. We go to "midnight" (not really midnight) Mass on Christmas Eve, take the dogs for a midnight walk in the snow (it's so pretty and quiet and romantic! I'd love to take future kids for a Santa Watch walk), and have a nice dinner just the two of us. We like to cook something together that we've never made before... last year was lamb chops, I'm thinking oysters Rockefeller this year. And lots of sex.

• My parents live 1500 miles away and I'm not close with any of my extended family so I have no family on Christmas. DH is an only child so we visit his parents for like an hour on Christmas afternoon and exchange gifts with them. We normally make a fancy dinner and snuggle on the couch for Christmas Eve, last year we made sushi and toasted to a nice quiet house before kids come along. This year is our first one being married so we booked a swanky bed & breakfast in Maine for Christmas night and the following night. Fireplace and hot tub- so excited! 

• I mentioned on the other holiday thread that we live across the country from our families and don't have the money/time to travel back for Christmas. We've celebrated Christmas just the two of us for the past 3 years. Kitty is fascinated with the Christmas tree and trying to eat it, so I put it up and decorate it with my giant microbe holiday ornaments while DH is at work Christmas Eve. We put on Christmas music and have raclette by candlelight on Christmas Eve. We open our gifts for each other, watch my Christmas movie then head to bed. Christmas morning DH makes crescent rolls and I make cinnamon buns and we have breakfast and call our parents. We do stockings and open our Christmas packages from home Christmas morning. I make a turkey and we eat mid-afternoon so DH can nap before starting work at midnight. I like our Christmas together without The hectic-ness of trying to visit our families. I like the idea a PP mentioned about a special ornament for our first married Christmas and am going to keep my eye out for something.

Anniversary
  • Well, my plan was to go away to a cozy little cabin upstate. However, H convinced me that the money would be better well spent on our master bedroom reno. Yes, he killed my plan with the dream of the expensive bedroom furniture I want. 

So, instead, we're cooking and having my family over for Xmas Day, which may turn into a fun new tradition. We're inviting some friends over as well. 
  • This is my first Christmas as a married person as well, and I wanted to go to New York for a trip with my husband to celebrate.  But we haven't made definite plans yet. 

• It will be our first holiday season married too. It's a little different for us since DH shares custody with his ex. SS lives with us during the week and most weekends but his mom suddenly wants to see him around the holidays. We have him every other holiday, with Christmas Eve and Christmas being treated as separate holidays. It complicates matters.

No tree this year because of the dog. That makes me sad but I went crazy on decorating supplies at the Crate & Barrel Outlet this weekend. That will be fun.

SIL wants me to have her kids over to make Christmas cookies. I'm known as the baker and her kids love me. I'll probably end up doing it but I dread the idea of dealing with a bunch of little kids destroying my kitchen. I see it becoming a tradition though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited November 2014
    I mentioned this in another thread... but we've already started coming up with our own traditions, which will continue now that we're married. We go to "midnight" (not really midnight) Mass on Christmas Eve, take the dogs for a midnight walk in the snow (it's so pretty and quiet and romantic! I'd love to take future kids for a Santa Watch walk), and have a nice dinner just the two of us. We like to cook something together that we've never made before... last year was lamb chops, I'm thinking oysters Rockefeller this year. And lots of sex.

I always get a kick out of this.  A church near my parents offers Midnight Mass at 9:00 pm (they live in an area where most of the people are retirees).  

I'm actually one of those weirdos who doesn't like midnight Mass because it's too late and too long.
  • H and I have started a tradition where we buy a new Christmas ornament every year, so that is something that we like to reminisce about when putting up our tree. This year, for Christmas, I plan on making a nice breakfast for the two of us. We will open gifts, just us and our furbabies, and have some alone time. Then we will go spend the rest of the day with family.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • our wedding isnt until june 2015 but its our first xmas living together. we are buying a natural tree and we are doing red and white decor. I am so ridiculously excited, i love the holidays!

• edited November 2014
    This is the first Christmas we'll have living together but not married yet.

When we started dating, FI lived with his parents and they have a wood burning stove so we started a tradition of a glass of Irish Cream in front of the fire on Christmas Eve. Now that we're in an apartment without a fire place, we bought a Yule Log DVD to continue our tradition- ha ha!

We also go to Ed Hall's Christmas Guitar show almost every year and it's something I love!

We ordered a pre-cut Christmas tree from our farmers market on Saturday and I hope we'll be able to have a live tree every year.

We both grew up doing stockings on Christmas morning and we'll continue that. I hope we will be able to enjoy that and breakfast on our own before getting together with family, just so we can have some moments on our own to appreciate one another.

ETA: GUITAR CHRISTMAS
  • I get more time off than my husband does, so I was originally planning on going home. DH encouraged me to take advantage of having the 24th off (which he doesn't) and doing that. But now I feel a little guilty about it. I can either be here, sitting around doing nothing while he works, or I can be with my family back home and not be with him. I can still drive out Christmas Day and spend some time with my family opposed to driving out a few days before. But I really don't know what I would do if I stayed here. My aunt refuses to let holidays go, so she wouldn't let me host anything.
  • We have bee married for two Christmases. The first one, we were on our honeymoon and didn't do anything special. (Places were closed, had dinner at a Denny's-type diner). Second Christmas, my sister got married three days later, so my whole family was around. So this is the first Christmas it'll be just us. I'd like to look up some traditions to start. Maybe we'll do advent, we always did that growing up.
  • I mentioned this in another thread... but we've already started coming up with our own traditions, which will continue now that we're married. We go to "midnight" (not really midnight) Mass on Christmas Eve, take the dogs for a midnight walk in the snow (it's so pretty and quiet and romantic! I'd love to take future kids for a Santa Watch walk), and have a nice dinner just the two of us. We like to cook something together that we've never made before... last year was lamb chops, I'm thinking oysters Rockefeller this year. And lots of sex.

I always get a kick out of this.  A church near my parents offers Midnight Mass at 9:00 pm (they live in an area where most of the people are retirees).  

I'm actually one of those weirdos who doesn't like midnight Mass because it's too late and too long.
    I did a "midnight" service in the Netherlands, and it was late (9:30), but it was a lot of fun.  They had a gathering afterwards with hot wine and Dutch goodies, and while the service was lovely, the hot wine around a fire in the courtyard really made it special for me.  But it's not the same here in Canada.  And my husband doesn't drink, so I wouldn't be able to recreate the experience here.  That and the fire ban in the cities. 

• Our tradition is picking out a new ornament for the Christmas tree together. This will be our second Christmas together and our first one while married.
  • Work has decided for us - I'm working nights, so while I can stay home and take calls from there, I might get called out at any minute.  So it's just going to be the two of us, nice and quiet.  We'll probably go to the candlelight service Christmas Eve (I can go in uniform), but other than that, it'll be low key.  Then Boxing Day we'll head to his parents for my days off.  My parents usually come out for New Years, since it's my birthday as well.

We bought our artificial tree and decorations with some of our wedding money, so we'll set that up at the beginning of the month.  I'm excited!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • This is our first Christmas living together. We got a wire star tree topper at a craft show together.
  • DH hates Christmas because he birthday is Dec. 26, so he'd rather not do anything special.  I like Christmas, but have no interest in getting too crazy with it. Last year our Christmas decorations went as far as printing a picture of a Christmas tree that I taped to the wall to put presents under!  So, typically we get up in the morning, Skype to open gifts with my family, then go have breakfast & gifts with his family.  After that we come home and just lay around, be lazy together, and enjoy spending time with each other for the rest of the day.  It's actually pretty nice.

• DH hates Christmas because he birthday is Dec. 26, so he'd rather not do anything special.  I like Christmas, but have no interest in getting too crazy with it. Last year our Christmas decorations went as far as printing a picture of a Christmas tree that I taped to the wall to put presents under!  So, typically we get up in the morning, Skype to open gifts with my family, then go have breakfast & gifts with his family.  After that we come home and just lay around, be lazy together, and enjoy spending time with each other for the rest of the day.  It's actually pretty nice.

What? My birthday is Christmas Eve and I love Christmas. I mean, I don't love that we don't usually get to do what most people do for their birthdays and I haven't had a party since I was a kid, but I do appreciate the convenience of having built-in family gatherings and stuff. I don't blame Christmas for me not getting normal birthdays, though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We really need a "Our First Christmas" ornament, because I'm sappy like that. Suggestions? Maybe one we could put our wedding picture in?

image   image   image

• This is our second Christmas as a married couple, but will be our first Christmas in our own house so I am super excited to decorate.  We have not made any traditions of our own yet so this year will get to kick start that.  So far we are we just looking forward to decorating and having our own Christmas morning by ourselves.  We will probably make breakfast/brunch and get the party started with some mimosa's.  Christmas dinner will be at our SIL's parents house this year.  And then we are going to go to my parents for a belated Christmas dinner the weekend after. 

Last year I got an "Our First Christmas" ornament on Etsy that was really cute. We own an auto shop so it was a bride and groom in a car and had our wedding date on it.

Anniversary
  • edited November 2014

We really need a "Our First Christmas" ornament, because I'm sappy like that. Suggestions? Maybe one we could put our wedding picture in?

Check out bronners.com

ETA ooh! http://www.bronners.com/product/mobile/just-married-wedding-car-picture-frame-ornament-dated-2014.do?sortby=bestMatchesDescend&from=Search

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards