Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

UGLY. BLUE. CHAIRS.

So, one of the reception locations we are looking at has these really ugly blue chairs.

They almost remind me of chairs you would find in a class room.

Any ideas on how I could dress them up a bit?! Our budget is VERY small so whatever we do will have to be DIY and CHEAP. Renting chair covers wouldn't work either; I looked every where and that's just too expensive for a chair.

THANK YOU!

Re: UGLY. BLUE. CHAIRS.

• Options
    Rent chair covers?
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Can you rent more attractive chairs for cheaper than you'd be able to rent chair covers? 

Unfortunately your options without chair covers are limited and probably not very cost-effective. I don't think ugly chairs are a very big deal, either. I wouldn't personally spend extra money on it at all. 
  • Options
    Well you either rent chair covers or rent different chairs.  Or you look beyond the chairs which once people are sitting in them and their coats/shawls/purses or whatever are draped over the back of it, the ugly blue chairs will not be noticeable or seen.

And out of the 1000+ pictures I got from my photographer only about 10 have chairs in the picture.

• Options
    I feel you. Unfortunately, any DIY, fabric wise, will cost as much as chair covers.
    I am a chair cover hater. Not everyone agrees with me, but I have rarely seen a chair as ugly as a chair cover.
    My daughter also had ugly blue chairs at her venue. They were not an option. 
    A plain black or white folding chair (metal or plastic) in our area, rent for less than $2 each.
    The more substantial padded wood folding chairs, a little less than $3.
    Ask your caterer or venue operator if they get a discount going through any rental companies. 

If you decide to cover the chairs, search craigslist. I often see the covers being sold there. 
  • Options
    I promise you OP, no one will notice/care about what the chairs look like besides you. And once people are sitting in them they won't be visible anyway. Don't waste your money.

(Bonus question: What did the chairs look like at the last three weddings you attended? Bet you there's not one person here who can answer that.)
  • Options
    I promise you OP, no one will notice/care about what the chairs look like besides you. And once people are sitting in them they won't be visible anyway. Don't waste your money.

(Bonus question: What did the chairs look like at the last three weddings you attended? Bet you there's not one person here who can answer that.)
    Ditto this exactly! Don't worry about the chairs. 
  • Options
    Last three weddings I went to ( not counting daughter's)
    Folding metal.
    Black banquet, upholstered.
    White folding.
  • Options
    Folding metal.
    White folding.
    Lol. I love you. 

I can barely remember the chairs at my wedding. And that was like 6 weeks ago. 
  • Options
    Show us pics of the chairs.
  • Options
    Folding metal.
    White folding.
    Shhhh! You win a cookie, but that was not the point.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

They were white folding chairs for both the ceremony and reception.  Like this:
    Edit: Oh the last three!  Before the one above was wooden church pews for the ceremony and typical brown fabric covered ones for the reception.  I've only been to two weddings :(
  • Options
    You could either not choose that venue, spend some money on renting other chairs or chair covers, or leave them as is and maybe try to work your decor so the colour of the chairs don't clash with anything.
  • Options
    White folding for the ceremony. No clue for the reception I was at last week, and at my own wedding, again white folding for ceremony and no clue for the reception. I believe they were brown, but I couldn't pick them out of a lineup. Bottom line, if you can't afford covers or different chairs, you can't afford it. Don't worry about it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I can actually, because it was the first time I'd been to a wedding with a chair cover on the chair- and I hated it.

I wanted to be able to push my feet/lower leg between the two front legs of the chair and couldn't because of the dawn chair cover. And there was a bow band on the back that made leaning back against the chair slightly uncomfortable. It was a red bow with a white chair cover.

OP- in case you can't tell, I'm saying skip the chair covers. They could be remembered for all of the wrong reasons.

ETF: words
  • Options
    I can actually, because it was the first time I'd been to a wedding with a chair cover on the chair- and I hated it. I wanted to be able to push my feet/lower leg between the two front legs of the chair and couldn't because of the dawn chair cover. And there was a bow band on the back that made leaning back against the chair slightly uncomfortable. It was a red bow with a white chair cover. OP- in case you can't tell, I'm saying skip the chair covers. They could be remembered for all of the wrong reasons. ETF: words
    And this is one of the main reasons I hate chair covers.

• Options
    The chairs in our wedding reception space are ugly, They are kind of brownish and have probably seen better days. I love the chiavari chairs but it seems like the cheapest I could possibly get would be $6 per chair plus delivery fees. We are talking spending at least $700 on chairs when the venue has a nearly unlimited supply of (ugly) chairs that are perfectly fine for folks to put their buns on. 

I looked into chair beautification. That thread has it about right. The more you do to the chair the more attention you draw to the chair. I personally really hate the look of chair covers. 

One DIY option I considered was covering the chairs in tulle and then tying a bow around the tulle to secure it. Then I though, who is going to be tutu-ing my chairs? Will I have to hire extra staff to do that? And am I really the kind of bride who wants tutus on my chairs? 

My conclusion to this inner chair turmoil was that there are more important things to think about and spend money on than the chairs. The most important thing about chairs is that there will be enough for all the guests. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards